So Relics will be vertical progression, power creep and pay to win? [Merged]

5 minutes ago, Geralt.7519 said:

If you resort to personal attacks it means you have no valid argument to support your opinions, you're just spitting out words for the sake of it.

Show me the personal attack. You may not be familiar with Astralporing. No matter the topic he complains about it for days if not weeks. 
My opinion is to wait until they clear things up like they promised. This is just embarrassing to complain without even knowing all the facts. 

Edited by vares.8457
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, vares.8457 said:

Show me the personal attack. You may not be familiar with Astralporing. No matter the topic he complains about it for days if not weeks. 

I'm actually not familiar with anyone here, first time I feel the need to come to the forums after 11 years (I have 7 leggy runes).

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

12 minutes ago, DeathPanel.8362 said:

And you'll still be immune to rune costs if you have legendary runes.  The premise holds.

Nowhere does it state you're immune to all other unspecified gear slot implementation costs just because you have legendary runes. 

I'm not opposed to ANET offering legendary rune owners something special to keep them happy but I'm not holding my breath either.

It has NOTHING to do with the cost, do you really think people would make legendaries if they were worried about the cost lmao, they cost thousands of gold each.

It's Quality-of-Life, being able to switch gear on the fly wherever you are, not having to worry about patches ever again and not cluttering your inventory and bank with gear pieces.

The advantage of legendary runes is changing the set bonus on the fly, not the stats, that is going away, now you have to clutter your inventory with different relics and change them is not as easily doable as it is clicking on a legendary wherever you are, why is this so difficult to understand ...

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

4 minutes ago, Geralt.7519 said:

It's Quality-of-Life, being able to switch gear on the fly wherever you are, not having to worry about patches ever again and not cluttering your inventory and bank with gear pieces.

And you'll still be able to customize legendary runes at will.  Why is this so difficult to understand?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DeathPanel.8362 said:

And you'll still be able to customize legendary runes at will.  Why is this so difficult to understand?

Runes do 2 things right now. Levels 1 to 5. And level 6. Level 6 is going away, to become a relic. That invalidates half the point of what runes currently do. Why is this so difficult to understand?

Edited by idpersona.3810
  • Like 3
  • Confused 3

Just now, idpersona.3810 said:

Runes do 2 things right now. Levels 1 to 5. And level 6. Level 6 is going away, to become a relic. That invalidates half the point of what runes do. Why is this so difficult to understand?

No one ever promised runes would stay the same forever.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, vares.8457 said:

My opinion is to wait until they clear things up like they promised. This is just embarrassing to complain without even knowing all the facts. 

I hope they'll answer soon, the more they wait, the more discussions will degenerate I'm afraid.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

Just now, DeathPanel.8362 said:

No one ever promised runes would stay the same forever.

You are correct. Simply changing runes would not upset so many people. Taking away from them is what is upsetting people. The prospect of making players pay/work to get back what will be taken is away is what will upset people.
Personally, that's the crux of the issue.

Now....again....the caveat of we don't know enough about how this will go forward. All of this speculation could be put an end to by just having more information. But defending the possibility of the worst case scenario being fine is just...odd.

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

1 minute ago, idpersona.3810 said:

You are correct. Simply changing runes would not upset so many people. Taking away from them is what is upsetting people. The prospect of making players pay/work to get back what will be taken is away is what will upset people.
Personally, that's the crux of the issue.

Now....again....the caveat of we don't know enough about how this will go forward. All of this speculation could be put an end to by just having more information. But defending the possibility of the worst case scenario being fine is just...odd.

The main reason people get upset is due to the gap between expectations and reality. 

People need to have realistic expectations based on what was actually promised by ANET rather than unrealistic expectations being shaped by their own incorrect interpretations.

ANET never promised that runes won't be modified.

ANET never promised that they will never implement new gear slots that may have some effects of runes shifted to it.

ANET did promise that legendary runes will be fully customizable at will, which REMAINS the case in the new expansion.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, DeathPanel.8362 said:

The main reason people get upset is due to the gap between expectations and reality. 

People need to have realistic expectations based on what was actually promised by ANET rather than unrealistic expectations being shaped by their own incorrect interpretations.

ANET never promised that they will never implement new gear slots that may have some effects of runes shifted to it.

ANET did promise that legendary runes will be fully customizable at will, which REMAINS the case in the new expansion.

Ok, let's ask Anet to clarify once and for all what legendaries are supposed to be then, if we've all been wrong for 10 years and you're right, Anet will go on wasting development resources in making something noone will deem worth pursuing anymore.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

4 minutes ago, DeathPanel.8362 said:

All technically true. But arguing these specific technicalities doesn't really help how anyone feels about the upcoming changes. 

• Confused 4

6 minutes ago, Geralt.7519 said:

Ok, let's ask Anet to clarify once and for all what legendaries are supposed to be then, if we've all been wrong for 10 years and you're right, Anet will go on wasting development resources in making something noone will deem worth pursuing anymore.

I don't need any clarification from ANET.  Things are very clear as is.  ANET never promised runes will never change or that they'll never implement new gear slots which may have some rune effects shifted to them.  This is just an objective fact that needs no clarification.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Since when Diablo is a subscription game? Did i miss something?

My point is that PoE doesn't require subscription yet gets success delivering seasonal content whereas Daiblo games failed in thar regard.

1 minute ago, DeathPanel.8362 said:

I don't need any clarification from ANET.  Things are very clear as is.  ANET never promised runes will never change or that they'll never implement new gear slots which may have some rune effects shifted to them.  This is just an objective fact that needs no clarification.

You're a lucky one then, since apparently you're the only one who doesn't need any explanation.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

2 minutes ago, DeathPanel.8362 said:

Aside from maybe 3-4 people here I don't see anyone else needing these facts clarified.  This isn't some arcane hidden knowledge. 

Let's see, at least 3 different threads about devaluing legendaries and relics as vertical progression, each one with hundreds of comments and thousands of views.

I wonder what happens to the forums when people do need explanations ...

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

5 minutes ago, DeathPanel.8362 said:

Feelings aren't very helpful when it comes to game design decisions that deal with raw numbers.

Very few if any game design decisions are raw numbers devoid of opinion.

4 minutes ago, DeathPanel.8362 said:

Aside from maybe 3-4 people here I don't see anyone else needing these facts clarified.  This isn't some arcane hidden knowledge. 

Just from personal observation over the course of around 40 pages of comments, there are a lot of people who would like clarification.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

2 minutes ago, Geralt.7519 said:

Let's see, at least 3 different threads about devaluing legendaries and relics as vertical progression, each one with hundreds of comments and thousands of views.

I wonder what happens to the forums when people do need explanations ...

3 different threads with the same 3-4 people vocally posting in them...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, idpersona.3810 said:

Very few if any game design decisions are raw numbers devoid of opinion.

I never said game decisions are devoid of opinion.  Just that decisions shouldn't be based on feelings.

4 minutes ago, idpersona.3810 said:

Just from personal observation over the course of around 40 pages of comments, there are a lot of people who would like clarification.

From my personal observation over the course of around 40 pages of comments by mostly 3-4 different people repeatedly posting, there are 3-4 people that would like clarification.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DeathPanel.8362 said:

I never said game decisions are devoid of opinion.  Just that decisions shouldn't be based on feelings.

That's arguable. But either way, the game decisions are based on feelings. We already know that from leaked behind the scenes conversations. Opinions are feelings.

10 minutes ago, DeathPanel.8362 said:

From my personal observation over the course of around 40 pages of comments by mostly 3-4 different people repeatedly posting, there are 3-4 people that would like clarification.

The last page or 2 of this thread had mostly been us 3 or 4. But nowhere near the majority of the several different threads. I mean, you account for 40% of the posts on this page (edit: page 15), but obviously isn't representative of the 40+ pages on the topic.

9 minutes ago, DeathPanel.8362 said:

Am I wrong?

Yes. Often enough. Whether that's more or less than average, I don't know.

Edited by idpersona.3810
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1