So Relics will be vertical progression, power creep and pay to win? [Merged]

...Your 6th rune will add stat progression and a new gear piece (Relics) would have to be grinded in order to re-gain the 6th bonus and not fell behind handicaped. Or you could buy gems, convert to gold and aleviate some of the grind for the recovering the convenience of something you already had.

That doesn't sounds like "horizontal progression" at all to me. The power creep has been present for years since with the expansions the specs always add options, and options would provide further optimizations. But here we are talking about extra stats + losing convenience which has to be gained back again. In a game which didn't bother to release new runes in years and deleted most of them from PvP as a fast and lazy alternative to trying to balance them...

I'm really surprised of the course this ship is taking...

• Like 16
  • Thanks 11
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 54
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, Buran.3796 said:

Or you could buy gems, convert to gold and aleviate some of the grind for the recovering the convenience of something you already had

what Grind?

Generally, you’ll be able to get relics through crafting, instanced content like Fractals of the Mists and Strike Missions, reward tracks, achievements, and more. To celebrate the new system, we’ll distribute a relic selection box to all players at launch.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Parasite.5389 said:

what Grind?

we’ll distribute a relic selection box to all players at launch.

A single relic selection box doesn't make up for all the 6th rune bonuses I loose across all characters and builds, sounds like this is going to be grindy to me.  Especially when there's been no mention of a legendary relic to make up for the quality of life loss for those who already crafted legendary runes.

• Like 34
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 8

4 minutes ago, redseer.5286 said:

there's been no mention of a legendary relic to make up for the quality of life loss for those who already crafted legendary runes.

pretty sure this is also a way to make people who already crafted all legendaries to keep crafting legendaries. Next time is going to be the sigils then they'll find a way to force you to craft yet another legendary bauble to remplace some removed feature form armors then weapons, etc, etc.

• Like 10
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 3

So let me get this straight here to make sure I understand what Relics are.

They're a new item, object, buff, mastery or whatever that grant a 6th rune bonus. Runes will be losing their 6th bonus naturally.  This means people will have to farm relics for all the 6th rune bonuses they already had?

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

veritical progression - yes since they are nerfing characters and you have to get something to bring it back to current level

power creep - maybe depends on whether they nerf, buff or do nothing with the effects being moved into relics

1 minute ago, Epsilon Indi.2031 said:

So let me get this straight here to make sure I understand what Relics are.

They're a new item, object, buff, mastery or whatever that grant a 6th rune bonus. Runes will be losing their 6th bonus naturally.  This means people will have to farm relics for all the 6th rune bonuses they already had?

Yes. Only thing missing is that the 6th piece effect of runes is going be some more stat that is supposed to align the the rest of the stats on the rune.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

I have seen at least 10 topics about the 6th legendary rune remplacement.

They could just give an answer in three lines. It would takes literally 5 minutes to make an official answer, but they decide to not speak with their community, once more again.

I'm not the only one to be tired about that toxic relationship between ArenaNet and their community.

Edited by Anvar.5673
typo
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 13
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Anvar.5673 said:

I have seen at least 10 topics about the 6th legendary rune remplacement.

They could just give an answer in three lines. It would takes litterally 5 minutes to make an official answer, but so they decide to not speak with their community, once more again.

I'm not the only only to be tired about that toxic relationship between ArenaNet and their community.

Well if the OW legendary has more grid  Raid one , then raiders can keep playing Strikes a bit longer to unlock the 6th bonus (which lets not kid our self , it will be Scholar runes once again  for the +5% increased damage) .

HmHmmm Superior Rune of the Trooper  +without those defensive stat + Warriors healing shouts for WvW...

Blood Bank + https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Superior_Rune_of_Sanctuary Necros...

(better somes combos to be used only is Core + underused Specializations ,or otherwise have some cd on Overpowered specs)

Edited by Killthehealersffs.8940
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

As I said elsewhere, unless I am misunderstanding something (in which case they need to communicate more clearly), this is change for the sake of change. Feels like someone arbitrarily decided they didn't like the old system and wanted one they could claim as theirs.

I don't understand what we are gaining here by losing then having to reacquire.

More than happy for someone to explain it more clearly to me. I take written replies or shadow puppetry

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 2

50 minutes ago, Randulf.7614 said:

As I said elsewhere, unless I am misunderstanding something (in which case they need to communicate more clearly), this is change for the sake of change. Feels like someone arbitrarily decided they didn't like the old system and wanted one they could claim as theirs.

More than happy for someone to explain it more clearly to me. I take written replies or shadow puppetry

I mean, not having to spend 18 gold per toon to get say, a set of Scholar runes is a pretty nice change.

Consider that Scholar, Ogre, and Deadeye all have the same stat allocation, the only diffeerence between them is that final 6th tier bonus
the current price difference between those 3 sets of runes, 18G for Scholar,, 9G for Ogre, and 6G for Deadeye
without that bonus, theres no reason for runes to cost that much.

• Like 8
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Randulf.7614 said:

On a technical level it should offer more choices in build customization. As an example: Condition Willbender (PvE) is using Runes of Balthazar right now. The 6th Rune bonus is giving +20% Burn Duration and +10% Maximum Health. As a PvE DPS build the bonus to max HP is nice, but not something the build actually desires. So if "+10% Maximum Health" is stripped of the Rune and turned into a relic bonus then this build could pick a better effect in the relic slot. Something like the 6 piece bonus of Rune of the Renegade which gives a bonus of 7% to all condition damage dealt. That is of course assuming that they will make a "Relic of the Renegade", which they may or may not do. And yes, in this case that is just optimizing for highest damage, but the system does technically allow for more freedom in combining currently mutually exclusive effects for a variety of builds.

If that is worth the cost of acquiring these relics is obviously unknown. Though if these items are supposed to be similar to runes it is possible that a single copy could be as cheap as a few silver or as expensive as 20 gold.

• Like 14
  • Sad 1

"Consider that Scholar, Ogre, and Deadeye all have the same stat allocation, the only diffeerence between them is that final 6th tier bonus"

Scholar 6th bonus already includes +125 Ferocity so can stay as is.

However, if they want to keep all 3 rune sets and not consolidate them into a single rune set (Rune of the Schologrye?) then Ogre might get +125 Power and Deadeye might get +60 Power and +65 Ferocity or something like that.

• Like 2

Its an changes for a need changes is how i see it. If we let runes fill just an stat roll and not an utility roll as they do now we open up added effect from relics of an given utility for many more builds. You could do some fun building by removing the uititily from an rune set and simply giving it to players to use as they want. It would be like giving an player an much stronger 3 or 5th sigil for there weapon with out the need for that weapon to swap.

Now you are comply free and right to complain if its too much of an cost or time sink to get them but hay it dose seem anet is more then willing to over time at least give ppl the effects that where once very hard to get.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

power creep - maybe depends on whether they nerf, buff or do nothing with the effects being moved into relics

Not a maybe if they rip this out from core and lock behind expansions.

Essentially they are making F2P characters impossible to "compete" on a PvE/WvW basis. SPvP would presumably still be a choice (or just plain lack the 6th bonus I guess).

• Like 6
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

Not a maybe if they rip this out from core and lock behind expansions.

Essentially they are making F2P characters impossible to "compete" on a PvE/WvW basis. SPvP would presumably still be a choice (or just plain lack the 6th bonus I guess).

Did they not say relics will be core but expansion will have its own sett of bonus relic afixes.

Quite sure thats how i read it so you will still have all the core/hot/pof relics to aquire just that they might not be best in slot anymore.

• Like 1

This system is functionally no better than raising the level and gearscore cap and may in fact be worse. Our characters will have reduced performance relative to PVE opposition. We will then need to work to reacquire parity with that opposition. Just like a level cap increase. The way in which the relic system may be worse than a level cap increase is that in other games where expansions increase the level cap, characters do not generally have their performance reduced relative to pre-expansion opposition.

This is vertical progression and a gear treadmill.

Edited by Ashen.2907
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 9

Being an owner of legendary runes, initially this change pissed me off. However, thinking about it, they are trying to simplify a game system. Runes are confusing with so many combinations, and let's face it you only care about that bonus stat. Separating the bonus stat makes sense from a design and usability point of view. Anyone invested in the legendary runes has had the value for this. But for new players or players who don't care about legendary crafting, they have a poor experience. 

In short, while runes get nerfed, the general usability improves. 

Am I in favour? Yes. I hate having to change all my runes for just the stat bonus. And I imagine legendary relics will come at some point. 

One more note, we don't have any concrete information on what will happen to runes. So we are all just guessing at this point. 

Edited by Tiamat.8254
Typo
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Dondarrion.2748 said:

. has anything ever been p2w in GW2? Do you think Anet will suddenly change their entire doctrine and go down that route?

Yes there has been pay to win in GW2.

This would not be the first time, "ANet has suddenly changed their entire doctrine."

Edited by Ashen.2907
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 14

9 hours ago, Buran.3796 said:

...Your 6th rune will add stat progression and a new gear piece (Relics) would have to be grinded in order to re-gain the 6th bonus and not fell behind handicaped. Or you could buy gems, convert to gold and aleviate some of the grind for the recovering the convenience of something you already had.

That doesn't sounds like "horizontal progression" at all to me. The power creep has been present for years since with the expansions the specs always add options, and options would provide further optimizations. But here we are talking about extra stats + losing convenience which has to be gained back again. In a game which didn't bother to release new runes in years and deleted most of them from PvP as a fast and lazy alternative to trying to balance them...

I'm really surprised of the course this ship is taking...

It isn't just convenience that you already had, it is power level. This is vertical progression.

• Like 2
  • Confused 6