Can we please have Axe as BOTH main and offhand?

Leo Schrodingers Cat.2497

One of the properties of thief is that we're supposed to be defined by the fact that our third weapon skill is a combination of the offhand and mainhand weapons.

The problem is... we only have two offhands. And as of this information, 5 mainhands. And ONLY two offhands.

So in short... only axe main hand isn't even introducing anything majorly new for us. We are stuck with two main hand skills, and then only two variations of skill three! And then of course, nothing new in the off hand department.

You gave Necro dual swords. Why can't we get dual axe?!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 5

Anet is seemingly afraid of having to design more combo skills, which is why we got two 2H weapons for our elite specs. If they added Axe main and Off-hand that would be like what? 10 whole new skills they would have to make? Which is I guess too much effort for them to devote to thief. 

You can refer to the chart at the bottom of this page to see just how many skills each class has including E-Spec weapons, thief currently has 37[40]+14[15] including stealth skills and combo skills, ele has a whopping 80(105)+70 more than double most classes, so they have no problem designing new skills, just not for thief 🙃.

• Like 8

You'd think since they don't have to design new utility skills, elite skills and traits, they'd have time to design a few extra weapons skills. Since we're not getting mainland axe, we're getting like 6 new weapon skills. That's just lazy.

42 minutes ago, Vadar.5724 said:

You'd think since they don't have to design new utility skills, elite skills and traits, they'd have time to design a few extra weapons skills. Since we're not getting mainland axe, we're getting like 6 new weapon skills. That's just lazy.

6 new skills? that would be cool. We're getting 4 new skills (and one is auto attack)

• AA chain
  • Skill 2
  • dual wield axe + pistol
  • dual wield axe+ dagger

Axe skill 3 without off-hand will be the classic joke skill that they don't want you to use, so that doesn't count.

I'd like main-hand + off-hand axe too, but if this wasn't possible, at least I'd prefer off-hand axe which would give us 6 skills:

• Skill 4
  • Skill 5
  • dual wield dagger + axe
  • dual wield pistol + axe
  • dual wield sword + axe
  • dual wield scepter + axe

They really are doing the worst thing they could ever do for us. Weapon- master training is already a disaster for Thief, and on top of that, they're giving us only 4 new skills (if you consider auto attacks a skill lol)

Edited by TheThief.8475
  • Like 5

15 hours ago, Leo Schrodingers Cat.2497 said:

One of the properties of thief is that we're supposed to be defined by the fact that our third weapon skill is a combination of the offhand and mainhand weapons.

The problem is... we only have two offhands. And as of this information, 5 mainhands. And ONLY two offhands.

So in short... only axe main hand isn't even introducing anything majorly new for us. We are stuck with two main hand skills, and then only two variations of skill three! And then of course, nothing new in the off hand department.

You gave Necro dual swords. Why can't we get dual axe?!

Man, I really don't understand. It's clear when you look at Thief's forum subsection that everyone wants more off-hand weapons, but they refuse to add any.

11 years later we have TWO off-hand weapons.

The class was designed with DUAL WIELD SKILLS as one of its MOST INTERESTING mechanics and it was ABANDONED.

I'm so mad and sad.

Edited by TheThief.8475
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, TheThief.8475 said:

6 new skills? that would be cool. We're getting 4 new skills (and one is auto attack)

• AA chain
  • Skill 2
  • dual wield axe + pistol
  • dual wield axe+ dagger

Axe skill 3 without off-hand will be the classic joke skill that they don't want you to use, so that doesn't count.

I'd like main-hand + off-hand axe too, but if this wasn't possible, at least I'd prefer off-hand axe which would give us 6 skills:

• Skill 4
  • Skill 5
  • dual wield dagger + axe
  • dual wield pistol + axe
  • dual wield sword + axe
  • dual wield scepter + axe

They really are doing the worst thing they could ever do for us. Weapon- master training is already a disaster for Thief, and on top of that, they're giving us only 4 new skills (if you consider auto attacks a skill lol)

What about the stealth skill?

I don't think it's ultimately about the total number of skills you get from a weapon, but about the potential to complement other existing weapons for new playstyles.

And here we are being are stuck with the same 4 offhand skills in the 4th and 5th slot to complement for a decade. In the end this feels just limiting and incredibly stale, no matter how good and exciting a new mainhand would be.

1 hour ago, Meridian.9103 said:

I don't think it's ultimately about the total number of skills you get from a weapon, but about the potential to complement other existing weapons for new playstyles.

And here we are being are stuck with the same 4 offhand skills in the 4th and 5th slot to complement for a decade. In the end this feels just limiting and incredibly stale, no matter how good and exciting a new mainhand would be.

I said this too previously and I agree

Off hand thief weapons have become boring 

We've played them to death and new off hands also have the possibility of revitalising dead weapons like sword and pistol (in PvE)

• Like 3