Had a Much Rage Moment With Match Making And How MMR is Applied.

shion.2084

Just in case any dev reads this... we need to make MMR changes somewhat reflect contribution and outcome.  Not just a binary value, and certainly not a disincentive for better players to actually play.

My scenario as follows..
52% team damage (obviously top team damage)
19 kills (top team kills)

1 death.

We lost the match by 11 points...

I got -19MMR....   WTF.

That just shouldn't be a combination of things that can happen.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I always said rating gain/loss should be based both on score (not just win/lose) and personal stats. We have no control over remaining participants in our games. There is no reason to either reward or punish us for their actions.

Imho such close games (11 points) never should be more than +/- 1.

Edited by Morwath.9817
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Games where a single player is more than half the teams damage output should be flagged by any intelligent algorithm as an outlier of stupidity and appropriate actions taken when trying to "rank" people based on any results deriving from that game.....

• Thanks 2

Bronze upto silver 2 should play with each other. Silver 3 upto gold 2 should play with each other. Gold 3 upto plat should play with each other. And I agree, personal contribution should count, so that you can rise or fall to a more true rank.

I simple want to be at a rank where people play as a team, that could be silver 3/gold 1 if all the lower ranks are cut off, and I'd be happy to stay there. A lot of players actually don't care about winning/teamwork, and just play for what ever reason.. they too would be happy in bronze/low silver, they don't care. So why force these two types of playbase together.

Edited by Flowki.7194

Doesn't matter. Cartel decides balance and the population has dwindled. 

Log in for the first time in like 4 months and do matches to test out the beta - 

Guess who is here. Cartel grinding those unranked queues for an ego boost. Can someone please make sure they're not chained to their computer?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

with me for years it has been nothing but win streaks and losing streaks. i can even tell when its about to happen. the last few  matchs on a wining streak we will win by a lot i am talking the other team doesn't or barely gets100 points. then boom comes a losing streak. its just really weird

Edited by trunks.5249

9 hours ago, Bast.7253 said:

Doesn't matter. Cartel decides balance and the population has dwindled. 

Log in for the first time in like 4 months and do matches to test out the beta - 

Guess who is here. Cartel grinding those unranked queues for an ego boost. Can someone please make sure they're not chained to their computer?

They could just do ranked.

• Haha 1

On 6/30/2023 at 7:48 PM, Morwath.9817 said:

I always said rating gain/loss should be based both on score (not just win/lose) and personal stats.

Have fun with self healing duelist running it down far. And games without support being full of people who take bad rezz situation for the top stat.

7 hours ago, SlayerXX.7138 said:

Have fun with self healing duelist running it down far. And games without support being full of people who take bad rezz situation for the top stat.

There are solutions to this. 

Healing - Exclude self-healing or weigh it less heavily. 

Damage - Factor kills and offense/defense into the equation.

The more killls/capture point contribution you have. The more each point of damage counts. If you have very few kills, didn't cap/decap nodes, but very high damage. You were just padding stats but not actually being useful to your team. If the opposite is true. You were probabaly a roamer/thief who did a good job so what little damage you did do counts for more. 

Revives - Contribution weight against Deaths at 1.5:1 ratio. 2 deaths wipes 3 revives from your score when calculating contribution. This punishes going for bad revives to pad stats. 

Not sure how easy/hard that would be to code, but this just an example of how abuse cases can be tackled. 

Edited by Kuma.1503

24 minutes ago, Kuma.1503 said:

Healing - Exclude self-healing or weigh it less heavily. 

Damage - Factor kills and offense/defense into the equation.

The more killls/capture point contribution you have. The more each point of damage counts. If you have very few kills, didn't cap/decap nodes, but very high damage. You were just padding stats but not actually being useful to your team. If the opposite is true. You were probabaly a roamer/thief who did a good job so what little damage you did do counts for more. 

Revives - Contribution weight against Deaths at 1.5:1 ratio. 2 deaths wipes 3 revives from your score when calculating contribution. This punishes going for bad revives to pad stats. 

Neat fail saves, but they will be broken in a week tops. Such systems don't work, when implemented with manpower behind them, it won't work with a Anet dev getting 2 weekdays to implement it.

Also PvP is dying, wasting energy on some minor rank point issue seems ridiculous to me. Especially when the rank point problem is tied to a bigger problem: The too wide ranking range the matchmaker allows.

2 hours ago, SlayerXX.7138 said:

Neat fail saves, but they will be broken in a week tops. Such systems don't work, when implemented with manpower behind them, it won't work with a Anet dev getting 2 weekdays to implement it.

Also PvP is dying, wasting energy on some minor rank point issue seems ridiculous to me. Especially when the rank point problem is tied to a bigger problem: The too wide ranking range the matchmaker allows.

Therein lies our conundrum. PvP is dead, so there's little immediate value in investing into it. 

Yet ignoring these problems for so long is the very thing that causeses it to die. 

The problem is self perpetuating. Anet can either invest time into a major PvP overhaul. Or they can tackle the issue one small problem at a time. I don't care which of the two they choose, so long as some progress is being made. 

• Like 1

On 7/2/2023 at 10:57 AM, SlayerXX.7138 said:

Have fun for not switching to support in such situation I'd say.

Edited by Morwath.9817

23 hours ago, Kuma.1503 said:

Therein lies our conundrum. PvP is dead, so there's little immediate value in investing into it. 

Yet ignoring these problems for so long is the very thing that causeses it to die. 

That not a conundrum. Some minor rank issue is so irrelevant for the health of the game it is funny how much people here care about that. The whole PvP community prioritizes themselves as individuals over the health of the game. Anet delivers. That is why PvP is dying.