Firebrand tome lore/headcanon discussion

Mediahead.3542

I honestly enjoy playing my norn firebrand, but one of the things that's hard to ignore is how much of it's lore is tied to elonian history through the tome mechanics (small thing, I know but still). However, that hasn't stopped me from creating headcanons of tomes based on norn history. Which are as follows;

Tome of Justice: Recounts the fight between Jora and her brother, Svanir.

Tome of Resolve: Recounts the tale of how the spirits of the wild led the norn people away from Jormag.

Tome of Courage: Recounts the Saga of Aesgir Dragonrender standing up to Jormag.

Does anyone else do this with their non-elonian firebrands? If you wanna share, I would love to hear about it.

• Like 5

I’ll admit that I haven’t formed a headcanon my Charr guardian using the tomes that invoke the ideas of Charr culture. I’d always assumed that our character become inspired by the stories told of the Elonian people and chooses to channel them in their honor. However, if I had to come up with something for the history of the Charr, perhaps it would be something like this:

Totem of Justice: Maybe when Scorchrazor rose with the females to defeat the shamans of flame legion? In Charr eyes, weakness or foolishness is shunned on, so exacting payback or “justice” for the Flame Legion’s belief in the gods could work. 

Totem of Resolve: A little harder to think of, but one that comes to mind is the declaration of not following a god anymore. This choice that affects the future Charr society need to have a determined and sure stance. I also can think of the charr’s desire to reclaim Ascalon from all manner of threats too. Ghost, flame legion, humans, etc. 

Totem of Courage: Perhaps inspired by the Charr invasion when Charr first retook Ascalon from the humans? Courage is required in any fight, and I imagine first major scale attack would take more than average.

The examples for each tome are just ideas though. Even if a charr guardian follows the history, perhaps they can be inspired by other war bands of modern Tyria. Warbands that have resolve, courage, and justice are probably engraved into history even if they aren’t named by the player. Or the character could be inspired by the idea of legions themselves. The ideaologies of each legion are engraved into their culture, so perhaps the origins of each legions could be an inspiration. 

Regardless, I love your norn spin on firebrand! Legends are a key part of a norn’s identity and culture. Hopefully my draft of the Charr firebrand ideologies are solid for this discussion. 📖

• Like 2

On 6/30/2023 at 9:33 PM, Mediahead.3542 said:

I honestly enjoy playing my norn firebrand, but one of the things that's hard to ignore is how much of it's lore is tied to elonian history through the tome mechanics (small thing, I know but still). However, that hasn't stopped me from creating headcanons of tomes based on norn history. Which are as follows;

Tome of Resolve: Recounts the tale of how the spirits of the wild led the norn people away from Jormag.

Tome of Courage: Recounts the Saga of Aesgir Dragonrender standing up to Jormag.

Does anyone else do this with their non-elonian firebrands? If you wanna share, I would love to hear about it.

I never thought too hard about it, but my guardian is also a norn so I'm going to headcanon this now.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2023 at 12:33 AM, Mediahead.3542 said:

Well, the nice thing with elite specs is how flexible they are.

The official firebrands are Elonian, sure. But it's not like their style of magics can be translated to central Tyria races. An axe may be an uncommon weapon for Guardians, but it's not banned or anything in the lore.

So I don't really have an explicit firebrand char ATM, but my old Norn guardian would be something like that. Tweaking the information/skills into something more native to the Shiverpeaks.

• Like 1