Why do the Kryptis in-game models look different from the concept art?

I can't help but notice that the models of the Kryptis forces in promo screenshots and the rift hunting teaser look vastly different from what was presented in the concept art. The concept art featured abstract horrors, covered in mouths with large teeth and open flesh, the skin it once had ripped wide open or blended into exterior bones. A scary and fascinating enemy and more importantly, one very much in line with what demons in the guild wars universe should look like. 

But in the screenshots presented in the promotion website and in the teaser for Kryptis rifts, the in-game models of the creatures presented are just chunks of black stone, with thin lines barely calling back to what may once have been the stretched skin from the originally envisioned creatures. From a distance, they just look like some kind of generic crystal elemental.

Was their design changed? Did the Kryptis at one point look just like in the concept art and then the teeth and flesh were simply painted black?

If the concern behind this change was that it might not be suitable for younger audiences, remember that this is an mmo, rated 12 and riddled with adult themes at every point. The youngest people playing this game are teenagers and they would love stuff like the original design. It would fit more with how torment creatures looked as well. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Parasite.5389 said:

because it's.... a Concept

That doesn't change the fact that it is a visible downgrade and it doesn't answer why the downgrade happened. 

And before that excuse is cited, yes it was perfectly easy to pull off. They probably already did. There's probably copies of an earlier version of in-game models somewhere on their computers that have textures much closer to the concept art. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

When the queztion, "why did they...." is asked the answer is almost always, "money."

I expect that the screenshot represents a less expensive option than a completely new creature type.

Keep in mind that we may find a variety of different appearances for the new baddies and that the screenshot shows just one.

Final thought on concept art...I love it unless it is being used as part of the promotion of a new product and does not at all match what will be found in the new content. Seems dishonest to me.

Edited by Ashen.2907
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

When the queztion, "why did they...." is asked the answer is almost always, "money."

I expect that the screenshot represents a less expensive option than a completely new creature type.

Keep in mind that we may find a variety of different appearances for the new baddies and that the screenshot shows just one.

Final thought on concept art...I love it unless it is being used as part of the promotion of a new product and does not at all match what will be found in the new content. Seems dishonest to me.

advertising for a decade old game with concept art is weird.

i expect that from unpublished Mmos looking for crowd funding

• Like 3
  • Confused 2