Please make rifts more immersive by having them affect the world around them

Don't we already have rifts from PoF? I don't see how it would be different.

I don't think having it affect the world is a good idea. I've not seen that work very well in any game I've played. Maybe it exists, but it usually gets unbalanced, exploited or ignored by the players. All of those outcomes are really bad for a game.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I don't think OP is talking about anything other than aesthetics. The rifts in Jahai Bluff are basically a pocket of "mist zone" wherein the terrain alters from say, a crystal desert to a maguuma jungle.

Opening the rift could expand to a certain radius and change the terrain around it, maybe sprinkling in some other inanimate assets. 

Edit: which is what I thought these rifts would be when they were announced 🤔 

Edited by loonatic.1689
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ifelldown.5426 said:

I don't think having it affect the world is a good idea. I've not seen that work very well in any game I've played. Maybe it exists, but it usually gets unbalanced, exploited or ignored by the players. All of those outcomes are really bad for a game.

How about in RIFT?

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

4 hours ago, ifelldown.5426 said:

It's only a graphic effect that on top of the ground around the rift. You close the rift, the effect disappear;

Games that do this well are RIFT and New World.

• Like 4

I am a bit curious about the story aspect of these rifts. If we are the ones opening the rifts, allowing the great evil beasties into this reality in the first place, then how are we the heroes by defeating the monsters and closing the rifts? Sounds like a protection racket.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2