Changes to strike rewards (Prophet Shards)

Hey,

according to this article of the german news site "buffed" the EoD strike rewards will be changed from green to blue prophet shards: https://www.buffed.de/Guild-Wars-2-Spiel-17072/Specials/Secrets-of-the-Obscure-Vorschau-angespielt-1426749/2/

Das bedeutet, dass euch aktuelle Inhalte grüne Propheten-Scherben einbringen, ältere blaue. Zu letzteren gehören ab dem Release von SotO automatisch die Strikes aus End of Dragons und der Eisbrut-Saga.

This rougly translates to: "That means current content will reward green prophet shards, older content blue ones. Older content will be Icebrood Saga and EoD strikes after the release of SotO."

So only the two new SotO strikes will reward green shards, every other strike blue ones from tuesday on. Is that correct? Will every vendor that requires green shards today require blue shards after the SotO release? And will our green shards that we already have be converted to blue ones on release or will we keep them?

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I doubt that article got it right. They specifically changed IBS to blue only (water, ice color) and EoD to green (dragon-jade). I'm quite sure SotO will have red ones or any other color. It wouldn't make sense to cut EoD frequenters from the current EoD Strike rewards, and it wouldn't make sense to reward EoD-specific goodies in SotO.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

I doubt that article got it right. They specifically changed IBS to blue only (water, ice color) and EoD to green (dragon-jade). I'm quite sure SotO will have red ones or any other color. It wouldn't make sense to cut EoD frequenters from the current EoD Strike rewards, and it wouldn't make sense to reward EoD-specific goodies in SotO.

Well they award Eod shards for old lions court that you can do with core only.

So its not like they have not done it before.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

I believe their intention is for "old" content to need and award blue shards. Most likely all your green shards will become blue and the EoD vendors will be changed to require blue shards just before SotO launches.

Just like the change before EoD launched.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Just now, Pifil.5193 said:

I believe their intention is for "old" content to need and award blue shards. Most likely all your green shards will become blue and the EoD vendors will be changed to require blue shards just before SotO launches.

Just like the change before EoD launched.

Ah, now that makes a lot more sense. 🙂 That would be fine, though.

• Confused 3

i doubt they would do that. it would result in players never running the end of dragon's strike missions since they're extremely limited in shard rewards weekly compared to icebrood saga strike missions which give them every day, and are far easier to do.

it would also make it far too easy to get the more prestigious end of dragon's rewards like the infusion.

they also tuned the blue and green colors to the theme of the expansions, while intentionally leaving the red shards open for future use. its very likely we'll be seeing the red shards going forward and the article somehow misinterpreted the upcoming changes.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

Well they award Eod shards for old lions court that you can do with core only.

So its not like they have not done it before.

they did this because technically living world season 1 is a part of end of dragon's, even if its accessible to core players. not only was it released as the effective living world season for the expansion, but the expansion itself was a direct sequel to lws1, so the green shards made sense.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, SoftFootpaws.9134 said:

i doubt they would do that. it would result in players never running the end of dragon's strike missions since they're extremely limited in shard rewards weekly compared to icebrood saga strike missions which give them every day, and are far easier to do.

it would also make it far too easy to get the more prestigious end of dragon's rewards like the infusion.

they also tuned the blue and green colors to the theme of the expansions, while intentionally leaving the red shards open for future use. its very likely we'll be seeing the red shards going forward and the article somehow misinterpreted the upcoming changes.

The authors of that article got their information from having early access to the expansion. Hard to imagine that they misinterpreted looting green shards from a SOTO strike mission.

On a somewhat related note: This is Arenanet we are talking about. "Nah, that wouldn't make sense" didn't stop them in the past...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, SoftFootpaws.9134 said:

That is true, unless they significantly raise the cost for the EoD reward items. Also, don't forget that the infusions are locked behind achievements.

I agree, though, that this whole quote from the article sounds kind of fishy and highly unlikely.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

On 8/17/2023 at 3:00 AM, SoftFootpaws.9134 said:

They did it for gaeting crystals and legendary divinations already, remember? Yes, it means some players got w5-w7 stuff through mostly farming w1-w4 (aside from doing the newer raids to unlock buy options, of course). It didn't seem to create any significant issues though.

Basically, the EoD strikes will become "old" content with the new expansion release and Anet will no longer be interested in pushing players towards them anymore. It will be the new SotO strikes that will get their full attention.

The main limitation for buying the infusion (having to do HT CM) would still remain, keeping it as prestigious as it is now.

The three colors were originally all associated with IBS, so it's more like a fortuitous coincidence than a fully planned color coding. The new expansion color is also not red but yellow/gold instead so color coding would not work for it anyway. Also, as someone already pointed out, the article was based on informations taken from beta/press early access, so it's unlikely to be misinterpreted.

Basically, you can think of it as GW2's version of FF XIV tomestone currency, with blue shards being Poetics.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3