When to queue up for PvP

Majirah.5089

So, I placed gold 2 this season. I then proceeded to have about a 30% win ratio for about a week straight. Dropped down to silver 2. My analysis of that was that I placed too high and properly dropped to my level. All of these games happened later at night.

I took some time off work for thanksgiving and had the opportunity to get a few games in during the day. So for the past week I’ve had about a 70% win rate and am almost back to gold 2.

It’s kinda hard for me to determine where I’m supposed to be at because of this. If I had steadied out at silver 2 then it would make sense. But I jumped back up.

I also noticed that my team seemed smarter when I play during the day. And the games were closer. So does the time of day when you queue have a large effect? You’d think of player quality was worse during the evening they worse players would have equal chance to be on both teams.

I guess I just want to know what my skill level is actually. Kinda hard to see it when it fluctuates so much. Have a little over 100 games this season.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any thoughts?

I find prime time the best. Also the matches are very streaky. Don't worry about mmr just play for fun imo. I played over 300 matches this season went as low as silver 3 and now I'm almost plat 2, same player really don't think I got that much better. I'm on a bit of win streak now and I fully expect to be hit by a huge loss streak soon :)

@Mogar.9216 said:I find prime time the best. Also the matches are very streaky. Don't worry about mmr just play for fun imo. I played over 300 matches this season went as low as silver 3 and now I'm almost plat 2, same player really don't think I got that much better. I'm on a bit of win streak now and I fully expect to be hit by a huge loss streak soon :)

Yeah I’m not too concerned with my rating other than to see if I have improved or not. Just kinda hard to do that with swings like that. But yeah I have noticed the streaks. I had like 11 losses in a row. Then I’d have like 10 wins in a row.

just play for fun and try hard to win. Avoid to much ranting ;-). My placments went very bad this season. Now i can dance around most oponents and 1:2 or 1:3 but still loose. Manny oponents are not stupid. They recognize the good playes on the other side and play around and as there are smart one´s you always also have the kitten one´s on each side. So just hope you won´t get the AFK or least fluffy kitten ...

It depends how good you are. I found that queuing in off-prime time is not as bad. You have bad teammates but you also face bad players so you can make up for it (assuming enemy doesn't have good player as well). Not to mention there is less raging kids (that spend whole match yelling at each other instead of playing) in off-hours (idk why).

But generally if you want to lose and gain about same amount of points per match, i would go with prime time - that way you don't risk too many rank points.

That being said, never ever play on weekend unless you want to drop few divisions. Somehow all the people you constantly see complains about on forums and in game tend to queue during weekend. Weekend is really bad, not just in GW2 but generally in any game i have played and where you have to rely on pugs in ranked games.

@Cynz.9437 said:It depends how good you are. I found that queuing in off-prime time is not as bad. You have bad teammates but you also face bad players so you can make up for it (assuming enemy doesn't have good player as well). Not to mention there is less raging kids (that spend whole match yelling at each other instead of playing) in off-hours (idk why).

But generally if you want to lose and gain about same amount of points per match, i would go with prime time - that way you don't risk too many rank points.

That being said, never ever play on weekend unless you want to drop few divisions. Somehow all the people you constantly see complains about on forums and in game tend to queue during weekend. Weekend is really bad, not just in GW2 but generally in any game i have played and where you have to rely on pugs in ranked games.

Unfortunately with my work and wanting to spend time with my kid I can only play later at night after she goes to bed or on the weekend unless I have PTO.

What you said makes sense though. Maybe I just shouldn’t be in gold division and got placed there in error and got down to silver. Then got carried back up when I played during the day. It’s just hard to tell. I do lose and earn about the same amount of points with wins and losses (give or take a couple points). They didn’t fluctuate much. In gold the changes were 12-15. In silver the changes were 15-17.

Guess I will see when I am more consistent in when I play. I do have fun despite a few annoyances.

• 5 months later...

Guys, so when the hell is prime time anyway?? I'm also down to 30% winning and 70% loosing I have ranted about it but that does not help obviously. I just don't want to end up with complete noobs every time I play a match, it has been VERY apparent that most times I'm in a match I play with players that really do not have the slightest idea of what they should do in PvP.

Your rating in the beginning of the season has a lot more voltality. As the season matures and as you play more games the laws of average begin to kick in across the board so i would say your rollercoaster fluctuations will start to flatten out.

Prime time equals more players logged on which increases the chances that your games will consist of similar rated players.

@Sampson.2403 said:Your rating in the beginning of the season has a lot more voltality. As the season matures and as you play more games the laws of average begin to kick in across the board so i would say your rollercoaster fluctuations will start to flatten out.

Prime time equals more players logged on which increases the chances that your games will consist of similar rated players.

Can you also tell me when that is? if there a logged in players counter i can check somewhere? prime time and pvp queue has become some kind of gambling game, people waiting for prime time also hurts matchmaking even more since outside of prime time (whenever that may be) you will end up with even worse matches.

@MisterOiZo.4359 said:

@Sampson.2403 said:Your rating in the beginning of the season has a lot more voltality. As the season matures and as you play more games the laws of average begin to kick in across the board so i would say your rollercoaster fluctuations will start to flatten out.

Can you also tell me when that is? if there a logged in players counter i can check somewhere? prime time and pvp queue has become some kind of gambling game, people waiting for prime time also hurts matchmaking even more since outside of prime time (whenever that may be) you will end up with even worse matches.

There is no counter for total players currently logged into sPvP that im aware of.

Peak times for NA during the weekdays give or take an hour 4 pm to 10 pm PST. During the weekend im sure its basically all day, not really sure how late nights are for population tho.

Archived