I just had the most uncomfortable experience in GW2 since game launch

Kovac.4372

32 minutes ago, Hindenburg.3415 said:

Not doing anything is better if everything is going fine. In that situation comm didn't offer any useful advice or made necessary steps to compete content. They just acted like a kitten.

If you have a DPS doing less damage than Alac then not everything is going fine, but I agree, Commander should have just told the DPS to pick up the damage or they'll be kicked.

1 hour ago, Hindenburg.3415 said:

Not doing anything is better if everything is going fine. In that situation comm didn't offer any useful advice or made necessary steps to compete content. They just acted like a kitten.

yes all over acted here Commander was not chill enough but OP don't.need to post and act victim when the situation is initiated by joining as dps when qdps was asked.

also u have no knowledge how lows ops dps was. for all we now is he could run vita stats .

only facts we know and can judge on is Op joins with dps when support was asked for

Edited by Balsa.3951
  • Confused 1

Kinda beating a dead horse, but the most interesting thing to me in this topic is how people compartmentalize their logic depending on how invested they are in something. Because that's obviously not a stance you can consistently believe. Imagine :

I went to this job interview, I didnt had the qualifications but I projected enough confidence to get a test period.
However it turns out this job position came with expectations of doing a job. wtf is this elitism

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

39 minutes ago, Taclism.2406 said:

Kinda beating a dead horse, but the most interesting thing to me in this topic is how people compartmentalize their logic depending on how invested they are in something. Because that's obviously not a stance you can consistently believe. Imagine :

I went to this job interview, I didnt had the qualifications but I projected enough confidence to get a test period.
However it turns out this job position came with expectations of doing a job. wtf is this elitism

Nasty elitism indeed.

I was invited to a friends house to play a game.  I've completed the game plenty times before so I know how to play it and enjoy playing it.  However 30 minutes through the game he started ranting at me because i wasn't playing up to a standard that he had set in his head and not informed me about before i entered the house and he told me to get out of his house wasting my time and his.  In real life he would would be considered obnoxious. 

GW2 is is a game not a job and 99% of the content just does not need this (indeed GW2 has been designed this way), but raids and a small set of other instances do need tuning, so avoid conflict by being accurate and complete with your squad entry requirements if its a pug, and then if someone fails, have some manners when you ask them to leave if you have to do that, you don't need to be anti social about it.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 8

10 minutes ago, vesica tempestas.1563 said:

Nasty elitism indeed.

I was invited to a friends house to play a game.  I've completed the game plenty times before so I know how to play it and enjoy playing it.  However 30 minutes through the game he started ranting at me because i wasn't playing up to a standard that he had set in his head and not informed me about before i entered the house and he told me to get out of his house wasting my time and his.  In real life he would would be considered obnoxious. 

GW2 is is a game not a job and 99% of the content just does not need this (indeed GW2 has been designed this way), but raids and a small set of other instances do need tuning, so avoid conflict by being accurate and complete with your squad entry requirements if its a pug, and then if someone fails, have some manners when you ask them to leave if you have to do that, you don't need to be anti social about it.

OP didn't get invited by his friend to their house though, not sure why you keep using this example which has noting to do with what is in this thread. If you want to play with friends... probably play with friends.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Just now, vesica tempestas.1563 said:

like an interview. 

And yet you keep talking about...

12 minutes ago, vesica tempestas.1563 said:

your squad entry requirements

...which OP specifically didn't even fulfill. Did commie do well with his whisper? Nah. Does it mean OP did good and fulfilled the squads requirements? That's right... also nah. Which negative behavior triggered which negative behavior? Alright, should be clear enough. And yet you keep avoiding whatever OP decided to do and keep spewing your "toxic elitists!" to every other response. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

And yet you keep talking about...

...which OP specifically didn't even fulfill. Did commie do well with his whisper? Nah. Does it mean OP did good and fulfilled the squads requirements? That's right... also nah. Which negative behavior triggered which negative behavior? Alright, should be clear enough. And yet you keep avoiding whatever OP decided to do and keep spewing your "toxic elitists!" to every other response. 🤷‍♂️

your missing the point, he either didn't meeting requirements or he met poor requirements.  Neither require an obnoxious response right?  Il all it look was the leader to quietly whisper the guy and say sorry mate you are not hitting the mark i need to let you go etc etc, rather than a toxic attitude that doesn't do anything for the game apart from put of players from tuned  instanced content.

Edited by vesica tempestas.1563
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

6 minutes ago, vesica tempestas.1563 said:

your missing the point, he either didn't meeting requirements or he met poor requirements.  Neither require an obnoxious response right?  Il all it look was the leader to quietly whisper the guy and say sorry mate you are not hitting the mark i need to let you go etc etc.  

At this point your repeated "woah toxic elitists!" made it clear it's not about "how it's said", it's about saying it at all.

Mentioning low dps as a reason for kick is instantly made into "dps shaming" and so you eagerly jump in with your "toxic mindset!" non-response. If you changed what you previously said in this thread and mentioning reason for a kick is fine then glad you understand there's nothing toxic in writing that. If you didn't change your opinion about it, stop pretending it's about "obnoxious response".

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, vesica tempestas.1563 said:

If OP was invited into the squad as DPS by a friend this comparison could be used. However, the commander wasn't OP's friend, the commander wasn't looking for what OP brought and above all OP wasn't invited. 

OP decided to join someone else's group, ignoring what that group is asking for. Imagine telling a chat group you're going to play a whatever game and you're looking for people who know how to play and then one person joins in as something you're not looking for, says nothing for minutes, plays worse than pretty much everyone else and gives you an attitude when you point it out. Now that's obnoxious.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Sobx.1758 said:

At this point your repeating "woah toxic elitists!" made it clear it's not about "how it's said", it's about saying it at all.

Mentioning low dps as a reason for kick is instantly made into "dps shaming" and you instantly jump in with your "toxic mindset!" non-response. If you changed what you previously said in this thread and mentioning reason for a kick is fine then glad you understand there's nothing toxic in mentioning that. If you didn't change your opinion about it, stop pretending it's about "obnoxious response".

read the Op post again., indeed read the title of the thread.  He was berated in chat, that's toxic and not needed, and you know fine well that is not an uncommon occurrence in raids and tuned strikes.

You think obnoxious behaviour should ever be tolerated, or worse normalised?

If he truly wasn't meeting the requirements (and no-one really knows if that's the case here), All the leader had to do was spent a minute to privately explain to the OP why he wasn't hitting the mark and ask him to leave or kick.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 6

3 minutes ago, vesica tempestas.1563 said:

read the Op post again., indeed read the title of the thread.  He was berated in chat, that's toxic and not needed, and you know fine well that is not an uncommon occurrence in raids and tuned strikes.

You think obnoxious behaviour should ever be tolerated, or worse normalised?

If he truly wasn't meeting the requirements (and no-one really knows if that's the case here), All the leader had to do was spent a minute to privately explain to the OP why he wasn't hitting the mark and ask him to leave or kick.  

Maybe you should read the thread again, because he wasn't berated, "if everyone thought like you..." isn't berating, even if it hurt OP's feelings because he felt he could join however he wanted as whatever he wanted. He also said commie whispered him and not somehow "dps shame" him publicly.

I like how you skipped the comment about your whole linked post though where you made it clear it's not about the form, but simply about mentioning it at all. .

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 4

Just now, Sobx.1758 said:

Maybe you should read the thread again, because he wasn't berated, "if everyone thought like you..." isn't berating, even if it hurt OP's feelings because he felt he could join however he wanted as whatever he wanted. He also said commie whispered him and not somehow "dps shame" him publicly.

Interesting, i emphasise with the OP you clearly don't.  Two different view points on what obnoxious behaviour is in a game.

• Confused 5

5 minutes ago, vesica tempestas.1563 said:

Interesting, i emphasise with the OP you clearly don't.  Two different view points on what obnoxious behaviour is in a game.

I wonder where you got that idea from? I already wrote this on page 2, if you bothered reading my actual stance:

Meanwhile you're still repeating mentioning dps as a reason is "dps shaming" and some great example of "toxic elitism" despite now saying it's totally about form. But that's not at all what you wrote for the last few pages. And now you're repeatedly dodging any mention about what you kept writing in this thread. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Sobx.1758 said:

I wonder where you got that idea from? I already wrote this on page 2, if you bothered reading my actual stance:

Meanwhile you're still repeating mentioning dps as a reason is "dps shaming" and some great example of "toxic elitism" despite now saying it's totally about form. But that's not at all what you wrote for the last few pages. And now you're repeatedly dodging any mention about what you wrote in this thread. 🤷‍♂️

i've been playing games since 1979 lol i can think perfectly well for myself,  I am also not dodging anything, i'm expressing my opinion on this thread.

I think obnoxious behaviour is not necessary, and if requirements are poorly specified then even kicking is toxic in my view.  This is my opinion which i'm entitled to and you wont bully me into changing that.

• Confused 7

9 minutes ago, vesica tempestas.1563 said:

i've been playing games since 1979 lol

Irrelevant to literally anything here.

I am also not dodging anything

Ok, then finally address this please:

At this point your repeated "woah toxic elitists!" made it clear it's not about "how it's said", it's about saying it at all.

Mentioning low dps as a reason for kick is instantly made into "dps shaming" and so you eagerly jump in with your "toxic mindset!" non-response. If you changed what you previously said in this thread and mentioning reason for a kick is fine then glad you understand there's nothing toxic in writing that. If you didn't change your opinion about it, stop pretending it's about "obnoxious response".

and if requirements are poorly specified then even kicking is toxic in my view. 

OP joined a squad looking for a/qdps (whatever it was) as full dps. He didn't fulfill the requirements. And even if he tried filling the dps spot if it was asked for, if they're dealing support dps, they're not fulfilling the required role either.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, vesica tempestas.1563 said:

and if requirements are poorly specified then even kicking is toxic in my view.  

That doesn't answer anything, because as described here:

8 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

OP joined a squad looking for a/qdps (whatever it was) as full dps. He didn't fulfill the requirements. And even if he tried filling the dps spot if it was asked for, if they're dealing support dps, they're not fulfilling the required role either.

...OP didn't fulfill the requirements. As such, stop repeatedly calling people "toxic elitists" because they say informing people about their bad dps as a reason for a kick is ok to do. Because it is ok to do.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

That doesn't answer anything, because as described here:

...OP didn't fulfill the requirements. As such, stop repeatedly calling people "toxic elitists" because they say informing people about their bad dps as a reason for a kick is ok to do. Because it is ok to do.

Toxicity is related to behaviour and intent not reason.

• Confused 5
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, vesica tempestas.1563 said:

Toxicity is related to behaviour and intent not reason.

Which is not what you wrote on the previous pages of this thread. Glad you now think it's ok to tell people they're getting kicked for a specific reason like low dps. Make sure to stop calling people names now.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3