Some Tempest QoL Ideas

Kagaho.5378

These have probably been suggested before, but I think Tempest could really use the following quality of life improvements:

• Change Tempest Overloads to behave like Hammer Air #2, which is both a ranged AoE and has free movement throughout the channel.
  • Change Tempest Overloads to pulse a consistent set of conditions, or have a trait that does this, so that condi tempest dps does not drop off a cliff while overloading pretty much anything except fire.
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

I don't think I would enjoy playing tempest anymore if a change like that went through. Seems the opposite of QoL to me.

The overloads being elemental storms centered around your char is part of the class fantasy in my opinion, you're like the eye of the storm. It also really helps to be able to move your overload around with you, especially as support or alac dps to keep it on the party members as much as possible. If overloads were just placed like static aoes they would be much less flexible, not more.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Chyro.1462 said:

I don't think I would enjoy playing tempest anymore if a change like that went through. Seems the opposite of QoL to me.

The overloads being elemental storms centered around your char is part of the class fantasy in my opinion, you're like the eye of the storm. It also really helps to be able to move your overload around with you, especially as support or alac dps to keep it on the party members as much as possible. If overloads were just placed like static aoes they would be much less flexible, not more.

I know others feel the same. I see the pros of the current system. But in a ranged setting (and remaining at range for whatever reason), overloading is just a longer way to do what other classes can do without channeling (i.e., provide boons/buffs)

10 hours ago, phandaria.4891 said:

How about more like a gyro? The exact same as the current one, minus the channeling. In which case, elementalist can still DPS while still in overload. To add, maybe have a global attunement CD for 4 secs, to prevent switching attunement while overloading.

This is an interesting idea. Might have the potential to be too strong though.

The more important thing for me is the 2nd QoL suggestion I made. I'd like it if there were more reasons to want to use all the overloads in a DPS context. What I like about Hammer on ele is that it gives you incentive to be in each attunement (Hammer #3). I feel that Tempest does the opposite --- if you don't need to provide healing/cleansing, you can and probably should skip water attunement (and definitely not overload it). Moreover, the damage-oriented overloads are not made equal. If you are condi-focused, there is very little reason to consider overloading Air. But then again --- I know people want there to be a less try-hard spec available to eles, where you can camp 1 or 2 attunements and do almost all of your damage / be at maximum effectiveness. So there is that to consider too. Class design is hard.

Edited by Kagaho.5378

17 hours ago, Kagaho.5378 said:

I know others feel the same. I see the pros of the current system. But in a ranged setting (and remaining at range for whatever reason), overloading is just a longer way to do what other classes can do without channeling (i.e., provide boons/buffs)

I disagree with this. The current meta is still stacking meta. Range weapon have versatility to remain at range for dodging/mechanic purposes, but nonetheless stacking provides benefit to many classes mechanics.

Ranged AoE will make Tempest to be very very similar to Catalyst, something that needs to be avoided. PbAoE is key flavour of Tempest, being the eye of the storm.

17 hours ago, Kagaho.5378 said:

What I like about Hammer on ele is that it gives you incentive to be in each attunement (Hammer #3). I feel that Tempest does the opposite --- if you don't need to provide healing/cleansing, you can and probably should skip water attunement (and definitely not overload it). Moreover, the damage-oriented overloads are not made equal. If you are condi-focused, there is very little reason to consider overloading Air. But then again --- I know people want there to be a less try-hard spec available to eles, where you can camp 1 or 2 attunements and do almost all of your damage / be at maximum effectiveness. So there is that to consider too. Class design is hard.

Each attunement with different purpose is the original design of core elementalist and by extension, Tempest, the first specialization. Attunement dancing only started with Weaver design. There is no need for Tempest to follow suit.

I still feel the main bottleneck of Tempest is the channeling. Without channeling, there is no need for Harmonious Conduit (which currently is extremely important), opening up that trait for other design. It will give Tempest a big versatility: options to teleport, DPS, buff, etc during overload.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What triggers me is the water overload and/or Lucid Singularity (alacrity).
You don't want to unleash your Water Overload on your Heal-alacrity tempest because you actually lose heal abilities over time !?
Heal alac is fun nice boons with heat sync, sand squall etc, but the heal on demand can be problematic in your rotation with CD on Water attunement, especially if used your e-spec mechanic : WATER OVERLOAD.

If think there's an issue. Why not make Alacrity recharge current overload twice faster, so it will rewards you with more overloads if you camp one attunement (water, but also fire etc) or at least not punish you too much if you can  delay attunement swap after overload.

Same with Elemental Bastion (heal on auras), it was "the gimmick" on tempest design and now it is an useless trait, even for competitive. It feels the same as Sand Savant on Scourge : totally useless now.
@net Please merge Elemental Bastion with Lucid Singularity  or in master traits, or in Water traitline, IDK, but it's broken now.

Edited by Zhaid Zhem.6508
  • Like 1