I wanted to buy infinite gathering tool set but decided not to because...

Maxter.6530

I am done with this conversation Friend, I am allowed my opinion, as are you. Everyone has different levels of how much manipulation and predatory practice they personally find acceptable. These gathering tools are over that line for me and I will not support them.

FYI lots of thing are not required in games to play them. That has nothing to do with it being predatory / manipulative / over priced. No one stated that there wasn't a way to "complete" the game with out them. The OP thread was targeted specifically on the function/mechanics/price of the unbreakable tools.  

The tools were designed by Anet with specific limitations.

Some of these limitations were removed a long time ago due to public outcry.

Anet was careful to leave some major limitations in place so they could.... Sell you the solution later..

The limitations are partially rectified with another cash shop item designed by Anet.  

Design problem, sell solution. This is text book predatory manipulation in regard to cashshop practices.

Go ahead quote me and get your last word in. I am done explaining my opinion. If you enjoy being scammed go right ahead. I care more for my money than that.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Mortayia.7651 said:

20-35 bucks for ONE set of tools on ONE character is beyond kitten.. then sell over priced partial solution, shared inventory slots. 

I trade gems for gold.

Costs nothing but my game time and what else am I gonna do with my gold but use it for my own laziness/fun? An game needs a gold sink.
I even buy skins. I think I spent more gold in skins than in legendary equipment 🤣🤔

I dunno where my gold always comes from, it accumulates by itself. I don't farm and craft anymore. I mainly play wvw and that's not a money maker by itself.
But within my first two years of playing (again) I got my bank and material storage and shared inventory slots maxed out (along with quite a few skins for mounts and gliders). And some infinite tools. I think infinite tools was second I saved my gold for. First was a gilder because the default one is such an eye sore I couldn't bear seeing myself gliding.
In my third year I started with legendary equipment because the gold -> gems share ratio was too expensive for me taste (I usually bought gems when 400 of them costs 120 gold or less) but the gold accumulated and I HAD to spend it in something. Within two weeks I build Bolt and Dreamer. Then 2 sigils and then I started with a wvw armor. Now I just finished with the runes.

And All that legendary stuff was so expensive, everything considered, infinite tools a are penny compared to that. Ofc they have an account wide use, but that reflects the costs.
Just think about how many gems you could buy with 10-12k gold.

What do you buy with your gold?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

They're definitely worth it imo, and if you don't want to directly buy them you could always just use your money on Black Lion chests and then use the Black Lion Statuettes that drop to get the unglyphed infinite gathering tools.

As for glyphs: Alchemy on the axe/pick is ~1.5-2s extra on each swing on Mithril or Elder wood (which is ~2+ times the gain of Volatile glyphs while being 1/3rd their price) and Gathering on the sickle + the Guild Gathering Boost buff from the guild hall (people really sleep on this buff) can be incredibly lucrative if you're doing Flax, Passiflora, or something like Verdant Herbs in Bjora.

Honestly all of the passive income stream stuff like infinite tools, home instance nodes, and expedition contracts really add up. People get caught up on how long it takes to pay off, but once they start stacking you barely even notice and it makes the game feel so much smoother to play.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Sweetbread.3678 said:

They're definitely worth it imo, and if you don't want to directly buy them you could always just use your money on Black Lion chests and then use the Black Lion Statuettes that drop to get the unglyphed infinite gathering tools.

As for glyphs: Alchemy on the axe/pick is ~1.5-2s extra on each swing on Mithril or Elder wood (which is ~2+ times the gain of Volatile glyphs while being 1/3rd their price) and Gathering on the sickle + the Guild Gathering Boost buff from the guild hall (people really sleep on this buff) can be incredibly lucrative if you're doing Flax, Passiflora, or something like Verdant Herbs in Bjora.

Honestly all of the passive income stream stuff like infinite tools, home instance nodes, and expedition contracts really add up. People get caught up on how long it takes to pay off, but once they start stacking you barely even notice and it makes the game feel so much smoother to play.

We play the game to make fun. Not to gather 24/7. They know that. Ppl want to do one of those activities, wvw, pvp, fractals, open world. And not cut trees all day long. For me the tools were worth the money because i only play a few characters if not just one. But alts have the tools from living world maps that also give unbound magic. But many things are unbalanced. Fractals give alot of gold if you have skill for cm. 

but thinking about this all. Its just gold making everywere you go. Some activities give more gold and the gold go to upgrades or gemstore. 
thats why i dont like it anymore. Making gold is slow. Gem skins are expensive. 1 outfit cost €8,75. (400 gems = 5 euro) 1 bl chest key cost €1,25. 

i do like it more to do activities for skin drop. 

16 hours ago, Mortayia.7651 said:

Design problem, sell solution. This is text book predatory manipulation in regard to cashshop practices.

Yeah but the textbook usually assumes you do both of these at the same time - but the limited use crafting tools were designed with core game, and we started getting infinite ones sold couple years later, which would imply that the problem was not design specifically to sell solution, but that it was designed, because they wanted you to manage your harvesting tools, and later realized they could sell you convenience....

• Like 2

On 9/3/2023 at 6:02 PM, jokke.6239 said:

I doubt I'll ever do the shared inventory switch

That's very inconvenient

Actually I was wrong

I thought you had to open Hero panel and inventory and drag the infinite gathering tools back and forth

I didn't realize you could just put in some generic gathering tools on all chars, place the infinite gathering tools in the shared slots and then just double click on the item in the shared inventory to easily equip/unequip

Not too inconvenient like this

Just in case someone else didn't think about it as well 😅

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, jokke.6239 said:

Actually I was wrong

I thought you had to open Hero panel and inventory and drag the infinite gathering tools back and forth

I didn't realize you could just put in some generic gathering tools on all chars, place the infinite gathering tools in the shared slots and then just double click on the item in the shared inventory to easily equip/unequip

Not too inconvenient like this

Just in case someone else didn't think about it as well 😅

Hm almost like this exact point was brought  up each time as a work around when people asked about account wide slots.

• Like 2

On 9/7/2023 at 10:56 AM, FortnitemareCourt.8354 said:

My only wish is that they sold the skins separate from the tools.

The skins for them can be transmuted via the wardrobe in the hero panel, so for example if the Consortium Sickle has the fastest animation for plant harvesting, transmute that skin onto whatever other infinite sickle you have and that should replace the original animation with the Consortium's faster one. Etc.

• Thanks 1