Stutters on AMD GPU.

I have a brand new 7900 XT but I'm experiencing stutters in GW2, especially when moving my camera. I tried to enable V-Sync both in-game and in driver but this did not help, I tried limiting FPS to 60 which also did nothing.

I previously had a 2070 Super that had no noticeable stutters on the exact same graphics settings.

Any advice on what I can do?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Jmvars.4501 said:

I have a brand new 7900 XT but I'm experiencing stutters in GW2, especially when moving my camera. I tried to enable V-Sync both in-game and in driver but this did not help, I tried limiting FPS to 60 which also did nothing.

I previously had a 2070 Super that had no noticeable stutters on the exact same graphics settings.

Any advice on what I can do?

Just got an xtx myself, with initially the same issues, i enabled under the 'Gaming' tab in the Adrenaline dashboard , 'Anti-lag', few options down, set 'Wait for virtual refresh' (Off, unless  aplication specifies)  then below under Advanced tab 'Frame rate target control' and set it to 140, just below the 144hz of the monitor, so it doesnt overshoot.

At the 'Display' tab, next to 'Gaming', 'Adaptive Sync Compatible' on, asuming you have a VRR compatible display, if not, use 'Radeon Enhanced Sync' under the previous mentioned  'Gaming' tab.

Set the framrate in the GW2 settings itself to unlimited, disable v-sync.

I use Windowed Fullscreen, in the settings, don't know if that matters.

Edited by Kneitor.9367
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Kneitor.9367 said:

Just got an xtx myself, with initially the same issues, i enabled under the 'Gaming' tab in the Adrenaline dashboard , 'Anti-lag', few options down, set 'Wait for virtual refresh' (Off, unless  aplication specifies)  then below under Advanced tab 'Frame rate target control' and set it to 140, just below the 144hz of the monitor, so it doesnt overshoot.

At the 'Display' tab, next to 'Gaming', 'Adaptive Sync Compatible' on, asuming you have a VRR compatible display, if not, use 'Radeon Enhanced Sync' under the previous mentioned  'Gaming' tab.

Set the framrate in the GW2 settings itself to unlimited, disable v-sync.

I use Windowed Fullscreen, in the settings, don't know if that matters.

This did help reduce it by a meaningful amount but it still stutters. I can't enable "frame rate target control" per game unless I use Radeon Chill but that disables Anti-Lag. Anti-Lag seems to work better than Chill so I'll keep Anti-Lag on and Chill off and leave the fps uncapped. It's the latest version of Adrenalin.

EDIT: So it turns out by lowering graphics settings slightly it almost completely stops stuttering in non-SOTO maps, it still stutters in SOTO maps but not nearly as much. Thanks for the help.

Edited by Jmvars.4501
new information has come to light
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

I own an RX 6900XT graphics card. AMD has issues with DX11 applications. The best solution I could find is DXVK(A translation layer for Direct3D 9/10/11 which allows running 3D applications on Vulkan API). DXVK also made loading maps faster.
You will need:
GW2 Addon Manager, DXVK

1. Download archive GW2-UOAOM-v1.4.5.zip

link: GW2-UOAOM

2. Download the archive dxvk-2.3.tar.gz from the link:

link: DXVK
To extract a tar.gz archive, use 7-zip.

Installation and configuration instructions:
     1. Create a directory "addon_manager" in the game folder (..\Guild Wars 2\addon_manager\).
     2. Copy the files from the GW2-UOAOM-v1.4.5.zip archive to the "addon_manager" folder.
     3. Run the file GW2 Addon Manager.exe from the folder "addon_manager" (..\Guild Wars 2\addon_manager\).
     4. In the "Add-Ons" menu, check the "libimgui" and "SelectRenderer" checkboxes.
     5. Select the game directory (..\Guild Wars 2\).
     6. Click on the "Update" button in the lower right corner, wait until the files are downloaded.
     7. Close "GW2-UOAOM"
"GW2-UOAOM" downloaded some files and created a folder "addons" in the game folder (..\Guild Wars 2\addons\).
     8. Go to the "dxvk" directory located in the "addons" folder (..\Guild Wars 2\addons\dxvk\) and copy the files from the dxvk-2.3.tar.gz archive into it.
     9. Start the game as usual.
If you did everything right you will see the render selection menu. Click on the "Change" button and select "DXVK" from the DX11 submenu. Click the "Apply" button and restart the game.

Edited by Tiamat.2037
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

7900 XTX user here:

The game has stuttery camera movement, when it is not able to prerender frames. This is the case in

• CPU limited scenarios (= reander ahead queue (prerendered frames) is empty - something that happens VERY often in GW2 the faster your GPU is)
  • when enabling Radeon Chill (= prerendered frames are disabled for that feature to work properly - this is btw. also the reason why you can't combine it with Anti Lag, since the latter manipulates the prerendered frames to reduce lag, which is pointless, when there are no prerendered frames - Chill already has the lowest possible input lag as long as you are in the frame cap of Chill - even AMDs brand new Anti Lag+ has higher input lag than Chill, Anti Lag is meant to reduce lag in GPU limited scenarios or when enabling VSync as both result in a lot of prerendered frames)

You can achieve prerendered frames with the following settings (I've tesed them all and they all work for me in GW2)

• force VSync (at best via driver) and play in the VSync cap (once you drop below in GW2 this is mostly a CPU limit then => it will stutter in these sceanrios)
  • cap your frames with FRTC in the driver (FRTC works different than Chill, it prerenders 1 frame to reduce stutter at the cost of input lag - you can combine it with Anti Lag to improve this a bit, but the lag will still be higher than with Chill)
  • force a GPU limit (almost impossible with a 7900XT - you would have to run the game in 8K)
Edited by KrHome.1920
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, KrHome.1920 said:

7900 XTX user here:

The game has stuttery camera movement, when it is not able to prerender frames. This is the case in

• CPU limited scenarios (= reander ahead queue (prerendered frames) is empty - something that happens VERY often in GW2 the faster your GPU is)
  • when enabling Radeon Chill (= prerendered frames are disabled for that feature to work properly - this is btw. also the reason why you can't combine it with Anti Lag, since the latter manipulates the prerendered frames to reduce lag, which is pointless, when there are no prerendered frames - Chill already has the lowest possible input lag as long as you are in the frame cap of Chill - even AMDs brand new Anti Lag+ has higher input lag than Chill, Anti Lag is meant to reduce lag in GPU limited scenarios or when enabling VSync as both result in a lot of prerendered frames)

You can achieve prerendered frames with the following settings (I've tesed them all and they all work for me in GW2)

• force VSync (at best via driver) and play in the VSync cap (once you drop below in GW2 this is mostly a CPU limit then => it will stutter in these sceanrios)
  • cap your frames with FRTC in the driver (FRTC works different than Chill, it prerenders 1 frame to reduce stutter at the cost of input lag - you can combine it with Anti Lag to improve this a bit, but the lag will still be higher than with Chill)
  • force a GPU limit (almost impossible with a 7900XT - you would have to run the game in 8K)

Right now I'm limiting frames in driver by forcing VSync, this works fine for 98.7% of the game so I'm happy enough, at least the instanced content is stutter free now. Annoyingly FRTC doesn't allow limiting frames on a per game basis so I don't want to use that as I want certain games to push as many frames as they can.

Thanks for your help.

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, Tiamat.2037 said:

I own an RX 6900XT graphics card. AMD has issues with DX11 applications. The best solution I could find is DXVK(A translation layer for Direct3D 9/10/11 which allows running 3D applications on Vulkan API). DXVK also made loading maps faster.
You will need:
GW2 Addon Manager, DXVK

1. Create a directory "addon_manager" in the game folder (..\Guild Wars 2\addon_manager\).
     2. Copy the files from the GW2-UOAOM-v1.4.5.zip archive to the "addon_manager" folder.
     3. Run the file GW2 Addon Manager.exe from the folder "addon_manager" (..\Guild Wars 2\addon_manager\).
     6. Click on the "Update" button in the lower right corner, wait until the files are downloaded.
     7. Close "GW2-UOAOM"
"GW2-UOAOM" downloaded some files and created a folder "addons" in the game folder (..\Guild Wars 2\addons\).
     8. Go to the "dxvk" directory located in the "addons" folder (..\Guild Wars 2\addons\dxvk\) and copy the files from the dxvk-2.3.tar.gz archive into it.
If you did everything right you will see the render selection menu. Click on the "Change" button and select "DXVK" from the DX11 submenu. Click the "Apply" button and restart the game.

I'll try this later, I already have UOAOM installed. Thanks for your help.

• Sad 1

On 9/16/2023 at 2:17 PM, Tony.8659 said:

I guess this answers my question about AMD and DX11 issues. :classic_sad: I was interested in the 7800 XT to replace my 3070, but I keep reading about AMD GPU's and issues with DX11 games. Looks like it's back to Nvidia, and probably the 4070 if the price drops some more. 

After I did the tweaking suggested here it no longer stutters anywhere except the new SotO maps for some reason, but it's much better there as well. All instanced content runs like butter now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/7/2023 at 10:52 PM, Tiamat.2037 said:

You will need:
GW2 Addon Manager, DXVK

7. Close "GW2-UOAOM"

"dxvk" directory wasn't created when i ran the manager and selected the boxes. Should i create the folder manually?

I have a 7900XTX and have had no issues with  it out of the box running.at 3440 x 1440.

In  Adrenaline I use the Quality graphics profile with Radeon Anti-Lag and Anti-Lag+ set to enabled
FreeSync  Enabled

It might be worth mentioning that I am running a full AMD system, CPU + GPU. using AMD Smart Access Memory (Resizable bar). You might want to check that you have this enabled.

The gain you get in frame rate varies (between 1% - 16%)  but it might help with the stability issue.
Yes, I'm clutching at straws but any edge it might give you helps and you are also not leaving additional frames on the table.

You might need to enable this in your bios settings as older motherboards have this set to off by default or you might need to update your mobo's bios to have the feature added.

I'm not sure how AMD cards play with Intel mobos in regards to resizable bar.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2023 at 12:45 AM, Richie.3512 said:

I have a 7900XTX and have had no issues with  it out of the box running.at 3440 x 1440.

In  Adrenaline I use the Quality graphics profile with Radeon Anti-Lag and Anti-Lag+ set to enabled
FreeSync  Enabled

It might be worth mentioning that I am running a full AMD system, CPU + GPU. using AMD Smart Access Memory (Resizable bar). You might want to check that you have this enabled.

The gain you get in frame rate varies (between 1% - 16%)  but it might help with the stability issue.
Yes, I'm clutching at straws but any edge it might give you helps and you are also not leaving additional frames on the table.

You might need to enable this in your bios settings as older motherboards have this set to off by default or you might need to update your mobo's bios to have the feature added.

I don't have ReBAR on my mobo, im running an x470 with a 3600 and a 6700 xt. I'm still getting issues with this gpu so I'll just return it and get a 3070. Have had my screen lose signal completely twice ready and i haven't had this gpu for more than a month, so it's clearly an amd-gw2 compatibility issue, since i haven't had any problems with other games. 

On 10/4/2023 at 1:45 AM, Richie.3512 said:

FreeSync  Enabled

I also have a full AMD system. I did some tweaking of various things suggested in this thread and it got much better in non-SotO maps. After my CPU upgrade even SotO maps improved although I was expecting the opposite.

Bought an AMD Radeon RX 6650XT and it stutters too. Had zero stuttering on my Nvidia 2060.

I used DDU to uninstall previous drivers in windows safe mode. Then let windows install only the drivers. Seems to have cleared up a lot of the stutter.

Looking for an Nvidia card again while still within the return windows on the AMD card.

Editing to add that I bought an Nvidia 4060 and the stutter is entirely gone and games running clean. It's a shame the AMD card wasn't working correctly with GW2.

Edited by DeWolfe.2174
new information

• 2 months later...

Anyone having performance issues with the rx 7900 or rx7800xt in Guildwars 2 there is a fix. 

Most easy one for me atleast fixed everything. 

Intal driver : 23:11:1 instead of 23:12 the last available driver gave me issues in several games. 

I just did DDU and after installed the old driver and vwualaaaaaa. 

In four days a new driver wil come so ill try it for sure but hope it works decent. 

12 hours ago, Coffeelake.7924 said:

Anyone having performance issues with the rx 7900 or rx7800xt in Guildwars 2 there is a fix. 

Most easy one for me atleast fixed everything. 

Intal driver : 23:11:1 instead of 23:12 the last available driver gave me issues in several games. 

I just did DDU and after installed the old driver and vwualaaaaaa. 

In four days a new driver wil come so ill try it for sure but hope it works decent. 

Before people start wasting their time with a driver wipe for no reason: The post above me most likely describes an individual issue. The 23.12.1 does not have any changes that would cause stutter problems in GW2.