Rifle update wishlist

WingSwipe.3084

On 9/28/2023 at 10:19 PM, WingSwipe.3084 said:

Using it more as an overloaded blunderbuss, god thats a baller idea.

Rifle being 400 top range with heft attack speed disadvantage but hitting like 8 times in a scattercannon style. The closer you are the harder it hits.

Primal burst being a dragons breath round that applies more stacks of burning the closer you are to the target. Could be a cool condi weapon.

Wouldnt be opposed to walking around with a 4 guage shotgun.

...isn't that basically the idea behind the offhand pistol?

23 hours ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

A blunderbuss would have more range than that.

Yes, but...

On 9/28/2023 at 10:19 PM, WingSwipe.3084 said:

Rifle being 400 top range with hefty attack speed disadvantage but hitting like 8 times in a scattercannon style. The closer you are the harder it hits.

400 is a little more than Dragon's Roar, but still within what I typically consider to be 'basically melee with extra reach' range. The post I was responding to basically seems to be suggesting turning rifle into offhand pistol as a full five-skill weapon.

Which could be cool if not, y'know, on a profession where rifle is one of only two ranged weapons.

Edited by draxynnic.3719

1 hour ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

Yes, but...

400 is a little more than Dragon's Roar, but still within what I typically consider to be 'basically melee with extra reach' range. The post I was responding to basically seems to be suggesting turning rifle into offhand pistol as a full five-skill weapon.

Which could be cool if not, y'know, on a profession where rifle is one of only two ranged weapons.

If we turned it into a shot gun it would have to have 600-900 range on it's skills.

23 hours ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

If we turned it into a shot gun it would have to have 600-900 range on it's skills.

Again, that's not what the person I was responding to was proposing. Argue with them, not me.*

More broadly, though, @Eekasqueak.7850 shows the bigger problem with a shotgun style: engineer already does that. If you ask me, the basic concepts of the skills are already decent, but they fall down on coefficients, activation time, the shot after the dodge being too slow, and other mostly numerical concerns. I don't think reworking the weapon into something entirely new is needed at this point, it just needs to be better at what it's already supposed to be doing.

*Although I would note that guardian staff used to be essentially a 600-range magic shotgun auto, and it got terminated with extreme prejudice because of WvW. So I don't think anyone else is getting a projectile-less cone as an auto that goes much past 400. So you'd probably have a single bullet auto and the shotgun spread as a cooldown... which, in addition to what engi already does, is almost already done by Explosive Shell, except that that starts the cone on the first target hit.

Edited by draxynnic.3719

20 hours ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

Again, that's not what the person I was responding to was proposing. Argue with them, not me.*

More broadly, though, @Eekasqueak.7850 shows the bigger problem with a shotgun style: engineer already does that. If you ask me, the basic concepts of the skills are already decent, but they fall down on coefficients, activation time, the shot after the dodge being too slow, and other mostly numerical concerns. I don't think reworking the weapon into something entirely new is needed at this point, it just needs to be better at what it's already supposed to be doing.

*Although I would note that guardian staff used to be essentially a 600-range magic shotgun auto, and it got terminated with extreme prejudice because of WvW. So I don't think anyone else is getting a projectile-less cone as an auto that goes much past 400. So you'd probably have a single bullet auto and the shotgun spread as a cooldown... which, in addition to what engi already does, is almost already done by Explosive Shell, except that that starts the cone on the first target hit.

At this point in time most people are more then aware that its a numerical problem rather then a functionality issue.

Just spitballing ideas knowing that Anet wont do much changing to Warriors rifle. 

36 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

I feel like DE Rifle, War Rifle, and Ranger LB are the three weapons that should all be 1500 range.

Could agree to DE and ranger, but warrior rifle feels like its too much with 1500 range.

Warrior longbow absolutley, but not for rifle.

Edited by WingSwipe.3084

On 10/2/2023 at 9:22 PM, WingSwipe.3084 said:

At this point in time most people are more then aware that its a numerical problem rather then a functionality issue.

Just spitballing ideas knowing that Anet wont do much changing to Warriors rifle. 

There's not much point I can see to making suggestions that would make the situation worse (a 400 range shotgun would basically be yet another melee weapon for all practical purposes) or that we know won't happen (a long-range shotgun auto would be Wave of Wrath returned, and that was destroyed and ultimately replaced).