Huge problem! Who messed this up at ArenaNet?

Hello,

So I played a little bit this morning with no issues.  I come back to play some more after eating breakfast to a big white screen that pops up over the game talking about being blocked from logging into discord.com.  I have done nothing and changed nothing except for downloading some small patch when I returned to play.  I'm not sure what was implemented in this small patch, but it was the only change between the 2 play sessions.  I currently can't play because I can't get rid of this screen. I took a screenshot of the problem, but then realized I can't send it as an in game bug report because of the white screen blocking out everything but the bottom skill bar. So here is a  Link to the screenshot

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, GameDevBrian.7384 said:

Hello,

So I played a little bit this morning with no issues.  I come back to play some more after eating breakfast to a big white screen that pops up over the game talking about being blocked from logging into discord.com.  I have done nothing and changed nothing except for downloading some small patch when I returned to play.  I'm not sure what was implemented in this small patch, but it was the only change between the 2 play sessions.  I currently can't play because I can't get rid of this screen. I took a screenshot of the problem, but then realized I can't send it as an in game bug report because of the white screen blocking out everything but the bottom skill bar. So here is a  Link to the screenshot

You should probably discuss this with the people at Discord rather than at Arenanet?

• Like 3

And I thought it was only me - regarding Discord. I had crashes (of the whole computer, freeze) sometimes - where I needed to delete the discord-Folder in the AppData/Roaming location on the computer. Cause it gave blank screen. (While crashing it must have messed up some of the data.)

Seems like this now was an issue with Discord. That page usually appears on normal websites when checking for possible DDOS or something like that - I think. Mainly automatically progressing further ... or letting you do some captcha.

Here for me deleting the discord folder in AppData/Roaming still worked for me. (Does not reset too much of the settings since most is stored account-wide and accessed when logging in I think. I had to disable autostart for Discord and the minimize to tray which I set to disabled which was reset to the defaults - enabled.)

Maybe this could work for you. Or closing discord. (My guess is the bug is with the overlay from discord - not juts showing the overlay but that whole page covering the whole screen ... if Discord occurs this bug.)

Edit: Odd that it happens with discord not running? Maybe some process stuck? (Check task manager processes.)

Edited by Luthan.5236

So I waited a while and another small patch came through for GW2 and low and behold no issues.  Odd how everyone assumed it was something to do with discord on my end.  If it was my end, it coincidentally fixed itself at the same time that the small GW2 patch went through.  I didn't change anything yet again on my end other then a patch to GW2.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, GameDevBrian.7384 said:

So I waited a while and another small patch came through for GW2 and low and behold no issues.  Odd how everyone assumed it was something to do with discord on my end.  If it was my end, it coincidentally fixed itself at the same time that the small GW2 patch went through.  I didn't change anything yet again on my end other then a patch to GW2.

correlation is not causation

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, GameDevBrian.7384 said:

I just don't understand why it was popping up over GW2 while I didn't have discord running on my machine.

Are you sure about that? Doesn't discord have an updater that can run in the background? Doesn't it stay running in the system tray even if you "close" it?