GW2 needs more optimization than just DX11.

Sindust.7059

9 minutes ago, Sindust.7059 said:

I shouldn't have to lower settings to get good performance on a high end PC that is over 10 years newer than the game.

What makes you believe that to be true?  For example, the game was optimized for hardware at the time when CPUs were primarily single core.  Why would you ever believe that such software would run better on newer multi-core systems just because it's newer?

This almost reminds me of the other guy with the new Intel ARC GPU, a GPU designed for DX12, having trouble running this game.  Intel recently released a new driver that addressed performance issues for backwards compatibility with DX11 and it's night and day difference for him.

Edited by Chaba.5410
  • Thanks 1

I

25 minutes ago, Chaba.5410 said:

the game was optimized for hardware at the time when CPUs were primarily single core

In 2012 the CPUs were not at all "primarily single core". It was already deep into the quad-core era. Q6600 was released in 2007 with 4c/4t, i7-950 in 2009 and was a 4c/8t, and i7-2600k and 2700k released in 2011, also 4c/8t. And the high end was already at 6 cores (i7-3960X was 6c/12t from 2011).

37 minutes ago, Chaba.5410 said:

This almost reminds me of the other guy with the new Intel ARC GPU

And was that GPU also at 30-40% load, or was it at 100% load and was just not delivering the expected FPS?

Also, AMD isn't ARC, a driver update on AMD would never result in a 2-3x FPS improvement in an old game, because the AMD(or ATI) radeon division was around when those old games were released, and the optimizations for those games were already done a decade ago. And I'm not aware of any support being dropped.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Sindust.7059 said:

the AMD(or ATI) radeon division was around when those old games were released, and the optimizations for those games were already done a decade ago.

So?  Newer GPU architecture comes along, new drivers made for it, old drivers for older architecture no longer updated.

It's kind of like how you can no longer run really old games after years of Windows updates.

Edited by Chaba.5410

2 minutes ago, Sindust.7059 said:

So you're saying that the optimizations should have been done before the game was released in the first place?

Completely agree.

Optimizations for multicore that became ubiquitous roughly 10 years later should have been done in 2005?!  Or that the old engine should have been completely tossed in 2012 instead of a company leveraging their existing technology?

• Like 1

None of this matters because it doesn't do anything to solve your low FPS that's a direct result of your insistence that just because you have the latest, greatest hardware, you should be able to have max max max settings with no effort made on your end.  You want to play the game like that with bad FPS, go right ahead.

Edited by Chaba.5410
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Chaba.5410 said:

So?  Newer GPU architecture comes along, new drivers made for it, old drivers for older architecture no longer updated.

It's kind of like how you can no longer run really old games after years of Windows updates.

Is this really the hill you want to die on? DX9 support was never dropped on AMD, much less DX11. And even if it was, to keep your analogy, those old windows games can still run on an emulator or in a VM, and run better than they did on the hardware of the time, because the hardware is just so much better nowadays that it can easily deal with the overhead and still deliver better performance.

5 minutes ago, Chaba.5410 said:

Optimizations for multicore that became ubiquitous roughly 10 years later should have been done in 2005?!  Or that the old engine should have been completely tossed in 2012 instead of a company leveraging their existing technology?

Did ZOS "completely toss existing technology" when they made the optimizations in ESO that had already been released for 5+ years at that point?

Seriously, at this point you sound like you're just arguing for the sake of winning the argument, not because you actually have any point. Fact is, my GPU is not a problem, because it's just not getting enough work, it's basically idling around. And your talk about hypothetical issues that may arise on new hardware is just that, hypothetical, and is contradicted entirely by evidence. If my GPU did get to stretch its legs, the FPS would never drop below 100, just like in ESO, which by the way is also DX11 if you feel like talking about losing support...

18 minutes ago, Chaba.5410 said:

None of this matters because it doesn't do anything to solve your low FPS that's a direct result of your insistence that just because you have the latest, greatest hardware, you should be able to have max max max settings with no effort made on your end.  You want to play the game like that with bad FPS, go right ahead.

I didn't make the thread to ask for help with my FPS by making the game look worse, I am well aware of how to reduce in-game settings, and I don't need these patronizing suggestions where you act like I woudln't know how to find the settings menu and how to change settings.

I made the thread to showcase how insanely bad the game performance is on hardware that exceeds the recommended system requirements by an order of magnitude, and hopefully motivate ANet to put some work into their game engine such that it actually uses the hardware resources that a modern PC has to offer instead of rendering a slideshow and refusing to use more than 30% of them.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Sindust.7059 said:

I made the thread to showcase how insanely bad the game performance is on hardware that exceeds the recommended system requirements

But why?  You're saying nothing new.  That's pretty patronizing of readers here pretending that it's not already known.  What are you really accomplishing?  Go take a look again at all the responses to your thread here of people who just don't get what you're trying to "showcase".  Then go showcase your FPS on max settings in older maps that were designed for 32-bit hardware and show us how much better the old stuff runs on newer hardware.

Edited by Chaba.5410
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chaba.5410 said:

But why?  You're saying nothing new.  That's pretty patronizing of readers here pretending that it's not already known.  What are you really accomplishing?  Go take a look again at all the responses to your thread here of people who just don't get what you're trying to "showcase".  Then go showcase your FPS on max settings in older maps that were designed for 32-bit hardware and show us how much better the old stuff runs on newer hardware.

Because this forum is not just for communicating with players, but also for devs to read about the problems that players have, and they need to see that their customers are having these problems if they are to ever address them. Also I knew that the performance was bad even for the hardware that I had before, but if I made the thread showing the performance with an R7 1700 + RX580, this thread would be full of people (most likely including you) saying "your PC sucks", and the devs reading it would get the impression that their kitten programming can be overcome with brute force. But by showing the performance with the best hardware available, that argument cannot be made.

Also the old zones only run well if you entirely remove the context. Yes, I get 100+ fps in most of them (aside from cities or during metas), but the GPU load is still <40%, and CPU is <15%. Properly optimized they would be running at ~200-300 fps with v-sync off, and the GPU would always be at 100% load.

• Confused 2

On 11/5/2023 at 9:15 AM, vesica tempestas.1563 said:

lol you must have played when the game was empty.  outside of open word and instances with < 10 people the game is broken.: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/637691/server-multithreading-update-july-2023 

watch this jerky broken mess  and this is actually a normal daily occurrence, and note there is not even any big blobs fighting nearby.  Whereas in GW2 its smooth 60 all the time even with blob v blob fights.

u realize thats a server issue right? the server is indeed the worst kitten I EVER SAW in any online game, we are talking about game performance as in frames per second, wich is really good on eso

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/28/2023 at 6:20 PM, Sindust.7059 said:

I have an AMD 7950X3D CPU and an AMD 7900XTX GPU with 64GB of DDR5-6000 CL30 RAM. And this is my FPS in some places that are nearly empty (if the pic gets deleted some day: 20-30 fps in Amnytas if looking towards the center of the zone, dpending on where I stand and the exact direction of the camera, at 1440p with settings cranked, aside from those that I don't like visually), and it can get even lower during intense metas. This is unplayable sub-30 fps with hardware that is close to the absolute best available that is 10 years newer than the "recommended" system requirements. ANet needs to do to GW2 what ZOS did to ESO, and perform some massive optimizations if they intend to continue creating zones that are this bad on the hardware. Not even Starfield dips this low in the most intensive places and situations.

I think something is wrong with your PC. 

You should have at least 20 more FPS than me. I took this screenshot at the same place and settings as you.

CPU: 7700X tuned

RAM: 32 GB 6200 cl 30 tuned

GPU: 3080

I have
AMD CPU 5900X
GPU 7900XTX
32 GB
win 11
All game on my pc run well above 144fps with no problem or very close to my monitor hHz,
Guild wars 2 depending what map and what position i could have well above 100fps but never lower then 50,
https://ibb.co/ZcprY01 same place has you. I remember having better performance but i have no proof,
Then on September 26 i believe there was a big patch, Specially in wvw i get 15 fps on 2 way blop and that is everything on low,
I used to have a smooth gameplay and frame before, I could face 3 way blop on all medium with smooth frame,
I did a fresh install  and nothing changed,
I actually had better performance with my 2070 super.
unfortunately i cannot test it again with it since i sold it,

Edited by Trimlys.7091