Will we ever be able to have our character run back with (S) instead of backpedaling.

Mattia.2153

2 hours ago, Lord Trejgon.2809 said:

it is perfectly functional and would definitelly call it "working properly".

Not being able to run back for several seconds after casting a spell is not "functional"

Also, you can't use your mouse cursor with "Action Camera" which is not something I much care for. It's really not an alternative to what I'm asking for in this topic.

Except we do know of the benefits, it can do, and there are multiple ways to do it in the game.

One that doesn't work and is not a real alternative (Action Camera) and one that is not intuitive (About Face). Is there a reason you don't want it to be easier? Would  having an option to run back with "S" ruin your gaming experience?

It's not like people aren't doing it already, it's just harder to pull off and for no good reason.

Also GW2 works tad differently than WoW or FF14 with it's combat system, so there is much less of attacks you can simply run out this way.

Wrong. In FF14, if you are in front of your target and hit your melee ability, you are going to hit your target even if it walks out of range while your animation is still going. That's not the case in GW2. Not to mention all the AOEs you can much quicker get out of by running back instead of turning the camera and then running AND losing sight of your opponent.

not in GW2, it doesn't, and for a good reason.

Wrong. You absolutely can cast AOE spells while running away: Engineer grenades, necromancer staff marks, etc

Edited by Mattia.2153
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Mattia.2153 changed the title to Will we ever be able to have our character run back with (S) instead of backpedaling.

With the current controls, it is very mechanically demanding to do what you are trying to do. I think this is exacerbated by 1) left click taking a short drag to engage the camera move and 2) there being a short cool down with about facing. It takes a lot of practice and probably shouldn't if it was better designed and coded. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Mattia.2153 said:

Not being able to run back for several seconds after casting a spell is not "functional"

Yall keep saying that you cannot flip for "several seconds" after using an ability, but yet this is somewhat different to my experience - never once, in many hours of using action camera had I have issue, where after using ability I was unable to flip my character around. Even to the contrary, the one issue I did have, was movement interrupting AA cast.

Also, you can't use your mouse cursor with "Action Camera" which is not something I much care for. It's really not an alternative to what I'm asking for in this topic.

Functionally irrelevant - anything where it would be worth to use that cursor, you just point the reticule instead of the cursor. Unless for some odd reason you were the skill clicker, but at that point you are wasting your own and everyone elses time by the virtue of absolute murder of your dps. Alternatively, as I have mentioned you can keybind toggle, so you can quickly re-enable curcor mode for that partitular case that needed it.

One that doesn't work and is not a real alternative (Action Camera) and one that is not intuitive (About Face).

Multiple that works, but you paid attention to two, and for soem reason you didn't like it.

Wrong. In FF14, if you are in front of your target and hit your melee ability, you are going to hit your target even if it walks out of range while your animation is still going. That's not the case in GW2.

At this point I am doubting if you are even playing GW2 in the first place. There is no single PvP case, where you can validly just walk out of an attack and avoid being hit at all.. None.

Wrong. You absolutely can cast AOE spells while running away: Engineer grenades, necromancer staff marks, etc

Grenade kit is an outlier that is one specific exception to the rule. I am quite confident that necromancer wells did require your character facing the direction, and every other ground targeted AoE can and will either flip your character for the casting, or if that proves for any reason impossible, will throw error of "out of line of sight". The latter one I get fairly frequently myself.

Is there a reason you don't want it to be easier?

I merely pointed out to you, that it already is very easy, you just keep blindly dismissing it, instead demanding that AN sacrifice a serious amount of workhours that could be spent on fixing much more critical issues, on re-enginering control scheme to exact copy of FF14 copy scheme, just because you dislike the tools already provided. If AN does, then I guess that's on them and all power to you, but I find it somewhat unlikely.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Lord Trejgon.2809 said:

Yall keep saying that you cannot flip for "several seconds" after using an ability, but yet this is somewhat different to my experience - never once, in many hours of using action camera had I have issue, where after using ability I was unable to flip my character around. Even to the contrary, the one issue I did have, was movement interrupting AA cast.

Hopefully someone else will chime in on this.

Multiple that works, but you paid attention to two, and for soem reason you didn't like it.

I explained why. Care to say what the other alternatives aside from the two mentioned are?

At this point I am doubting if you are even playing GW2 in the first place. There is no single PvP case, where you can validly just walk out of an attack and avoid being hit at all.. None.

The irony.

Grenade kit is an outlier that is one specific exception to the rule. I am quite confident that necromancer wells did require your character facing the direction, and every other ground targeted AoE can and will either flip your character for the casting, or if that proves for any reason impossible, will throw error of "out of line of sight". The latter one I get fairly frequently myself.

Still wrong.

Edit:

https://streamable.com/54n6rg

Action Camera delay:

https://streamable.com/za2qmp

Edited by Mattia.2153
  • Like 4

Functionally irrelevant - anything where it would be worth to use that cursor, you just point the reticule instead of the cursor. Unless for some odd reason you were the skill clicker, but at that point you are wasting your own and everyone elses time by the virtue of absolute murder of your dps. Alternatively, as I have mentioned you can keybind toggle, so you can quickly re-enable curcor mode for that partitular case that needed it.

I missed this one.

Is being able to select a target without having to also change the direction in which you are running so foreign to you? what about placing AOE spells?

I really don't understand why leaving all of this behind by simply allowing players to run back with "S" instead of backpedaling is a notion you find so disturbing *shrug*

Edit:

"instead demanding that AN sacrifice a serious amount of workhours"

I guess this is the reason...

Thank god they have you watching over them.

Edited by Mattia.2153
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, Lord Trejgon.2809 said:

Not sure what do you mean there, sure it has some hiccups here and there (the cases I mentioned earlier in the thread where in melee having pressed down LMB for AA sometimes gets interrupted and therfore not loking my direction which causes me interrupting my AA chains by moving), but it is perfectly functional and would definitelly call it "working properly".

Except we do know of the benefits, it can do, and there are multiple ways to do it in the game.

Also GW2 works tad differently than WoW or FF14 with it's combat system, so there is much less of attacks you can simply run out this way.

not in GW2, it doesn't, and for a good reason.

Target teleport skills can't be used as far as they can outside of action cam, to place aoe skills far from you makes you look upwards, trying using headbutt from a close distance with action cam and tell me its fine. There are many attacks you can run out of in gw2, idk what you're talking about. You need to watch the top pvp players and you'll see it. You can run out of attacks like fire grab, updraft, shackling wave and maul just to name a few out of many. You can run away and place aoe skills behind you, where did you get this idea you cant? I've done it and seen it done many times. Never had a engi running from you in pvp while throwing nades at you? I have. You're just proving my point, people don't understand how beneficial about-face is.  

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Mattia.2153 said:

Is being able to select a target without having to also change the direction in which you are running so foreign to you? what about placing AOE spells?

It is not foreign Idea to me, I am just very used to the concept of using more than one movement button at the time, and changing which buttons are pressed so the movement direction does not change while I change the angle of the camera - this habit predates introduction of action camera mode btw.

I really don't understand why leaving all of this behind by simply allowing players to run back with "S" instead of backpedaling is a notion you find so disturbing *shrug*

Nah, I don't find it so disturbing, just redundant to add yet another way to do it.

Still wrong.

Edit:

https://streamable.com/54n6rg

Thank you for the video on the wells, themselves, this would make it secondary set of skills allowing it, but in general as someone using aoes other than engi grenades and necro wells, I have had more often than not, trying to cast AoE like that would either flip the character, or throw out of line of sight error.

Action Camera delay:

https://streamable.com/za2qmp

Interesting behaviour and not something I'd have happening to me when playing with engineer, mesmer, guardian or revenant.

Care to say what the other alternatives aside from the two mentioned are?

Using RMB to rotate the camera like we did in old days before action camera mode was introduced? 😉

41 minutes ago, Beast Sos.1457 said:

Target teleport skills can't be used as far as they can outside of action cam,

I have used ground targeted teleports at exact same range with and without action camera mode enabled, had to pay attention to the settings, but I don't see the issue on this front.

43 minutes ago, Beast Sos.1457 said:

to place aoe skills far from you makes you look upwards,

sounds liek camera settings issue more than action camera mode tbh.

43 minutes ago, Beast Sos.1457 said:

trying using headbutt from a close distance with action cam and tell me its fine.

I will give you that, I have not tried that particular skill, been a long time since I played warrior at all, and headbutt was not a skill I was considering using at that time. I will give it some try next time I get into the game.

45 minutes ago, Beast Sos.1457 said:

You need to watch the top pvp players and you'll see it. You can run out of attacks like fire grab, updraft, shackling wave and maul just to name a few out of many.

So you are trying to tell me that if I go and look at "top pvp footage" I will notice bunch on people whom are so incompetent in areas of using skills on the move at all? Interesting claim to be sure.

47 minutes ago, Beast Sos.1457 said:

You can run away and place aoe skills behind you, where did you get this idea you cant? I've done it and seen it done many times. Never had a engi running from you in pvp while throwing nades at you?

Since you didn't read the rest of the conversation, we have already establish engi grenades, and necro wells to be outlier. And fair, I forgot about nades, and was wrong on the wells, primarily because it has been ages since I saw anyone playing engi and trying to run away from anyone, and that I do not play necro specifically, so I kinda presumed it followed same rules on whole of it's kits that I noticed on every single ground targeted AoE on every other class.

• Confused 3

30 minutes ago, Lord Trejgon.2809 said:

I have used ground targeted teleports at exact same range with and without action camera mode enabled, had to pay attention to the settings, but I don't see the issue on this front.

sounds liek camera settings issue more than action camera mode tbh.

I will give you that, I have not tried that particular skill, been a long time since I played warrior at all, and headbutt was not a skill I was considering using at that time. I will give it some try next time I get into the game.

So you are trying to tell me that if I go and look at "top pvp footage" I will notice bunch on people whom are so incompetent in areas of using skills on the move at all? Interesting claim to be sure.

Since you didn't read the rest of the conversation, we have already establish engi grenades, and necro wells to be outlier. And fair, I forgot about nades, and was wrong on the wells, primarily because it has been ages since I saw anyone playing engi and trying to run away from anyone, and that I do not play necro specifically, so I kinda presumed it followed same rules on whole of it's kits that I noticed on every single ground targeted AoE on every other class.

That was my fault I should have been more specific. Enemy target teleport skills**. If you're not close enough it will say you need a target selected even if you have one. With normal cam you can use it from any distance as long as you have a target. If you have a rev, go into the special force training area and test it with phase traversal. Go to the cave on the east side and test it from that distance.

Since I haven't used action cam in a while I was mistaken. The issue arises when you want to place aoe skills on a higher elevation platforms. You just can't do it properly. You can get the sides of the platform but nothing more. 

It's not just headbutt. If you have a enemy behind you with normal cam settings and use heartseeker, thief dagger 2, you automatically turn and hit the target no matter the distance. With action cam it will just go forward, even if you are in the hitbox, as long as they are behind you. In pvp thats a huge deal with all the movement going on. 

You can say that all you want but it doesn't change the fact that it happens all the time. You're comment is just a snarky remark tbh. 

I didn't read that conversation, I only replied to your reply to me. You're still wrong though. Ever aoe skill that doesn't make you stationary, like meteor shower, can be placed behind you. Go test it out if you don't believe me. I just jumped on my ele and thief and all their aoe skills, outside of meteor shower, can be placed behind. 

Action cam is in permanent beta mode. One dev worked on it in his free time and its never been touched since. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Beast Sos.1457 said:

That was my fault I should have been more specific. Enemy target teleport skills**. If you're not close enough it will say you need a target selected even if you have one. With normal cam you can use it from any distance as long as you have a target. If you have a rev, go into the special force training area and test it with phase traversal. Go to the cave on the east side and test it from that distance.

Ah the enemy targeted ports instead of ground targeted. Yeah, technically speaking for those you need to have enemy properly tab targeted and then have the targeting reticule within some "close enough" to it as well. Personally I deal with all the wonkiness of that aspect, by having autotargetting on simultaneously with action camera mode.

4 minutes ago, Beast Sos.1457 said:

The issue arises when you want to place aoe skills on a higher elevation platforms. You just can't do it properly. You can get the sides of the platform but nothing more. 

I think I know what you mean, like trying to place AoEs ontop of the objective walls in WvW. The ones that do not require LoS and therefore usually could be placed with normal control mode much deeper. I'd argue that's a fringe scenario, but I guess on specific classes and if WvW is your main mode it would be bigger issue indeed.

7 minutes ago, Beast Sos.1457 said:

With action cam it will just go forward, even if you are in the hitbox, as long as they are behind you

This is interesting one - yes it will generally prefer going toward direction of reticule, but with autotargetting turned on, I don't have much issues of having these to snap to the target that is technically speaking behind me by the time ability actually launches.

That being said the particular scenario of something being in front of me when I start pressing buttons, that moved behind me before ability actually executed is the most common case for me getting "out of line of sight" error, I mentioned happening when ability fails to turn the character.

10 minutes ago, Beast Sos.1457 said:

Ever aoe skill that doesn't make you stationary, like meteor shower, can be placed behind you. Go test it out if you don't believe me. I just jumped on my ele and thief and all their aoe skills, outside of meteor shower, can be placed behind. 

That makes me think that the game is working way more inconsistent than I gave it credit originally on, as on the classes I play regularly, every targeted AoE when placed behind me, rotates character around to place it, and throws out of line of sight error when it for any reason fails to complete the rotation. (Would provide recordings if I had access to rig that could handle recording GW2, but alas, the one I have for the moment being, manages GW2 running and nothing ontop of it)

13 minutes ago, Beast Sos.1457 said:

Action cam is in permanent beta mode. One dev worked on it in his free time and its never been touched since.

There have been some further updates later down the line, and while sure, it could use much more updates since it ain't perfect, I find it perfectly workable control mode. Tad annoying to utilize on support firebrand, because big chunk of the boons is forward-facing, and with action camera on, it is much harder to aim the thing (one of the builds where I prefer normal mode with RMB permanently held down).

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 12/4/2023 at 4:01 AM, Lord Trejgon.2809 said:

Ah the enemy targeted ports instead of ground targeted. Yeah, technically speaking for those you need to have enemy properly tab targeted and then have the targeting reticule within some "close enough" to it as well. Personally I deal with all the wonkiness of that aspect, by having autotargetting on simultaneously with action camera mode.

I think I know what you mean, like trying to place AoEs ontop of the objective walls in WvW. The ones that do not require LoS and therefore usually could be placed with normal control mode much deeper. I'd argue that's a fringe scenario, but I guess on specific classes and if WvW is your main mode it would be bigger issue indeed.

This is interesting one - yes it will generally prefer going toward direction of reticule, but with autotargetting turned on, I don't have much issues of having these to snap to the target that is technically speaking behind me by the time ability actually launches.

That being said the particular scenario of something being in front of me when I start pressing buttons, that moved behind me before ability actually executed is the most common case for me getting "out of line of sight" error, I mentioned happening when ability fails to turn the character.

That makes me think that the game is working way more inconsistent than I gave it credit originally on, as on the classes I play regularly, every targeted AoE when placed behind me, rotates character around to place it, and throws out of line of sight error when it for any reason fails to complete the rotation. (Would provide recordings if I had access to rig that could handle recording GW2, but alas, the one I have for the moment being, manages GW2 running and nothing ontop of it)

There have been some further updates later down the line, and while sure, it could use much more updates since it ain't perfect, I find it perfectly workable control mode. Tad annoying to utilize on support firebrand, because big chunk of the boons is forward-facing, and with action camera on, it is much harder to aim the thing (one of the builds where I prefer normal mode with RMB permanently held down).

With all those issues, its clear action-cam is not nearly as good as using about face. There are too many disadvantages with action-cam. If you don't care about that then fair enough but it doesn't take away from people who do. In my opinion, having the options to key bind about face to S would make the combat more fun and make pvp more "fair". 

Edit: When you use aoe skills behind you, are you stationary? That can explain your character turning around. 

Edited by Beast Sos.1457
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

• 2 weeks later...

So action cam is neat and all but I'm in agreement with OP.

An option to run backwards instead of a slow backpeddle would be nice.

There! I said it. Let me run! *shakes fist*  I'll enable walk if I wanna feel fresh into MMOs again.

(and if any of you dinguses feel argumentative, note the humor in my above sentence.)

Edited by KindredPhoenyx.8976
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2

13 hours ago, KindredPhoenyx.8976 said:

So action cam is neat and all but I'm in agreement with OP.

An option to run backwards instead of a slow backpeddle would be nice.

There! I said it. Let me run! *shakes fist*  I'll enable walk if I wanna feel fresh into MMOs again.

(and if any of you dinguses feel argumentative, note the humor in my above sentence.)

I think it simulate real life have you ever tried running as fast backwards as forwards?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

On 12/15/2023 at 1:24 PM, Linken.6345 said:

I think it simulate real life have you ever tried running as fast backwards as forwards?

I would agree with that if it was consistent but you can't say to simulate real life when theres three headed hydras in the game for example. Also, they have about-face in the game so that completely goes against your point. Why have it in the game if you want to simulate real life? 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

34 minutes ago, Beast Sos.1457 said:

Snip

Also, they have about-face in the game so that completely goes against your point. Why have it in the game if you want to simulate real life? 

Aint about face just looking over your shoulder?

I can do that while running irl, until I run into kitten that is same as in guild wars 2.

And about the 3 headed hydras I have seen some two faced people so a 3 faced one dont seem like such a strech.

Edited by Linken.6345
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

Aint about face just looking over your shoulder?

I can do that while running irl, until I run into kitten that is same as in guild wars 2.

And about the 3 headed hydras I have seen some two faced people so a 3 faced one dont seem like such a strech.

About-face turns you 180 so if you are running forward you can instantly turn and run the other way which is a huge advantage. Thats whats being asked for on the S key, not the same movement speed while running backwards. 

That is a good point. Theres definitely many two faced people out there lol 

• Like 1