Giving sword some love

ericpeggy.8206

Sword needs help.  Cant compete with hammer on damage or utility!

problem is how?

Cant pair power sword with condi oh pistol and compete w hammer.

Cant pair it w shield and get as good dps as hammer.

i think it needs utility on a skill, and a bone or better condi on an additional skill.

4 hours ago, Logos.3042 said:

problem is how?

i think it needs utility on a skill, and a bone or better condi on an additional skill.

I think sword would be better as a pure power DPS. Probably just  dps increase would help it. Mace is our melee condi weapon main hand.

11 hours ago, Logos.3042 said:

problem is how?

Sword has very limited options to go with anyway. For both condi/power DPS your only option is pistol, unless you want to sacrifice some damage for utility and bring in shield.

It would definitely do better as a pure Pdps weapon, it's already that if you discount the bleeding, which is not particularly impactful anyway.

The only thing it has going for it is, which is imo what keeps it behind hammer in terms of pure damage is Quickness. In group content you usually have that covered so there's no difference, it shines in solo/unorganized fights though.

If you ask me, I'd take away the bleeding and compensate either in base damage or power coefficiency on Refraction Cutter, make the non-Holo buffs baseline and buff it further for the other specs.

Edited by jason.1083

On 12/20/2023 at 3:37 AM, Zzik.5873 said:

I think sword would be better as a pure power DPS. Probably just  dps increase would help it. Mace is our melee condi weapon main hand.

Maybe add a shield skill fact to shield: when a equipped with a MH melee weapon add 5% power damage.

On 12/20/2023 at 12:37 PM, Zzik.5873 said:

Sword's real problem is the animation timing of the auto attack.  That needs to be tightened up slightly.   Whats kind of ironic is that Hammer is Sw/Sh with better range and an Electric Field.  If Shield 5 dropped an electrical field if not thrown, Sw/Sh combo would be a slightly different version of the Hammer's skill set.  

Pistol is a different story, as Pistols in either hand have pretty weak interplay with trait options.  They weren't really designed as main weapons in the first place, which is part of the problem.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

On 12/31/2023 at 12:18 AM, starlinvf.1358 said:

Sword's real problem is the animation timing of the auto attack.  That needs to be tightened up slightly.

Sword has a neat interaction within it's own skills to solve the casting time issues, because AA reduces the CD of Sword skills, and ofc Radiant Arc gives off Quickness which makes the CD reduction proc more often.

It's a shame the Quickness duration is kinda low to make the whole process feel smooth. 

I know from experience how painful it is to use Sword skills without Quickness, it really seems like they were designed with it as baseline. 

Which again circles back to the same point I made in the other post, make the weapon master Sword buffs baseline and buff it further for the non Holo specs, otherwise it won't compete with hammer outside of niche builds that really need that Quickness.

• 3 weeks later...

Sword is meta for sPvP Holo, and Mace is meta for support builds especially when paired with a shield. 
Also, using sword with the jade dynamo trait on mechanist gives you perma quickness in open world.

Right now, only rifle needs a buff, since you can always just use grenades when you need hit things from a distance.