Japanese Language Input Support 日本語

I'm so glad to see this thread is still going!

For those who don't understand, all I am asking is to allow players like me, to use Japanese characters in game chat so that we can communicate with friends who speak Japanese. I'm not asking for game translation or localization or anything like that.

My character in game is Rebecca Chamber and I often study Japanese while helping newbs in Queensdale and wanna know what I do while I offer to help asnwer newbies questions in map chat? I study Japanese. And once in a while I may type Kanji (Chinese Characters) in game chat to show friends what character's I'm learning. But because the game doesn't allow me to use Hiragana and Katakana, I can't really properly type in Japanese since Japanese cannot use Chinese Characters alone. If I had this ability, me and anyone else who is able to use Japanese would be happy to communicate with each other while playing together.

GW2 is my home, and I only wish for ArenaNet to enable Hiragana and Katakana so I can communicate with friends since Chinese Characters already work.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

Imagine you can play an MMO and you are unable to use lowercase letters and spaces in with the characters used in English, but you CAN use capital letters.

THISISWHATTYPINGKANJIONLYINJAPANESEFEELSLIKE -   "This is what typing Kanji only in Japanese feels like"

If they enable Hiragana and Katakana, it would be complete!

「ひらがな」と「カタカナ」お願いします。🙏 Please give us Hiragana & Katakana.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

2 hours ago, DreamyAbaddon.3265 said:

I'm so glad to see this thread is still going!

For those who don't understand, all I am asking is to allow players like me, to use Japanese characters in game chat so that we can communicate with friends who speak Japanese. I'm not asking for game translation or localization or anything like that.

My character in game is Rebecca Chamber and I often study Japanese while helping newbs in Queensdale and wanna know what I do while I offer to help asnwer newbies questions in map chat? I study Japanese. And once in a while I may type Kanji (Chinese Characters) in game chat to show friends what character's I'm learning. But because the game doesn't allow me to use Hiragana and Katakana, I can't really properly type in Japanese since Japanese cannot use Chinese Characters alone. If I had this ability, me and anyone else who is able to use Japanese would be happy to communicate with each other while playing together.

GW2 is my home, and I only wish for ArenaNet to enable Hiragana and Katakana so I can communicate with friends since Chinese Characters already work.

Cant you do this on discord on a second monitor?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

Cant you do this on discord on a second monitor?

Yeah great idea! Let's just remove ability to type anything in GW2 all together and let's just use Discord instead. Since the API key thingy got implemented, maybe we can get Discord voice calls soon too, love me some LA map chat calls in the future! 😂

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

On 12/21/2023 at 7:31 PM, firedragon.8953 said:

While this seems to make sense, it actually doesn't. People who speak Japanese in game just chat using romaji (English letters). Assuming none of the people who monitor (?) chat logs know Japanese, it makes little to no difference if it is using Japanese script or not. You can still call someone baka without calling them バカ if you know what I mean.

As someone who runs/ran a bilingual Japanese-English guild, most of us just chatted using romaji in game. It's not great though because, yeah, Japanese has lots of homophones and without using kanji sometimes it's not so easy to understand, and reading romaji can just feel cumbersome. But, for the most part it's fine. For more important group activities (raids, etc.) we used used discord voice chat.

So although I wouldn't be against Japanese IME support in game since I use the language often enough with guild members, etc., I'm pretty ambivalent to it, mainly because of current 3rd party options that allow communication.

I know this is off topic but can you invite me to your guild and discord? I would love to play with other players who can speak or is learning to speak 日本語

Always fun to make new friends too. ❤️ 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Izzy.2951 said:

And Korean language support too!

Oh yeah! For sure! I don't know Korean but in the future I would love to learn it and use it to chat with people in GW2!

MMOs is all about bringing people together and this would certainly make it easier to do so!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)

As someone that uses IME I'm 100% on-board on this. There's random moments where I had to restart the game because I couldn't type anything in chat, due to it auto-switching to hiragana. Even switching back to alphanumeric kept me soft-locked from using chat.

Edited by cyberzombie.7348
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

On 5/3/2024 at 6:27 PM, cyberzombie.7348 said:

As someone that uses IME I'm 100% on-board on this. There's random moments where I had to restart the game because I couldn't type anything in chat, due to it auto-switching to hiragana. Even switching back to alphanumeric kept me soft-locked from using chat.

Ah yeah, this is indeed a problem. Really annoying when this happens to me too. 😔

• Confused 1