WvW Roaming LB build for beginner

zethra.8491

If by viable you mean "kills players that are inexperienced or don't see you", then the SB one still kinda works. Most players will roll over you tho.

The Untamed one is way better in all cases and has a fighting chance against all builds in theory, but needs a lot more time to get a hang of. One reason why I'd recommend it over SB, is more overall personal improvement.

SB will keep you at meh skill level, while Untamed will let you learn how to actually fight.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Lorelei.3918 said:

I second Untamed. Once you get used to it, you can try this http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POgAMNlVwwYUsL2JO0L3xtJsD-DWRYBhJGV7zICVVFSVRuAEyfAA-w

Its a very gimmicky build, i know, but I've been having fun with it. 🙂

I second this build, Duel Longbow is the way to go especially on Untamed where you can chain unleashed ambushes to reset your cooldowns along with the Quick Draw trait. 

Use the Metabattle Untamed one.

Don't take traps...I know the skill floor is at bottom right now, but they are visible to the enemy and most functioning people won't walk into them.  You try getting close and dropping them, you will get CC'd out of your boots very quickly as several specs are super strong in melee right now (reaper, scourge, Hammer DH, willbender, etc.).

I would trade out Drake for Polar Bear, as the stun is very good atm; can still use smokescale for the stealth as not a ton of better options.  Maybe Gazelle for the CC as it can do some damage but it's even IMO.

Can probably trade out marksmanship for Wilderness Survival so you have some condi clear, at least until you get more used to the spec. 

I say that as Untamed isn't burst like SLB used to be so not taking any condi clear outside cleansing sigil / mutate conditions still isn't enough in my book.  Can take the stab on swap trait, WK, and LR over Protect Me (or Mutate Conditions) and then Troll Unguent over WHaO. 

I'd say you can take Healing Spring too but that one's trickier to use as you have to stand in it to get benefit, and that's hard with the ground puke going on.  Don't really recommend it with longbow as you need to be moving a lot more than say if you were going full melee (Sw/Wh + GS) or using a hybrid weapon like axe.  

4 hours ago, zethra.8491 said:

Any advice on opening rotations / combos,  etc..? 

Ranger is a pretty reactive class--the only opening 'rotation' we had was Sic Em' Soulbeast, but that's not really at thing anymore.

For Untamed, and general play--I say learn to combo into stealth.  If you use longbow, NEED to not waste hunter's shot, and also need to know where smokescale is at all times and when the field is up.  Then learn where your sources of superspeed are (your heal, your elite, maybe traits if you take those) as you need to stay mobile even when there are far more mobile specs around you like DE.  

After all that, I'd learn the pet CC's and how to use those.  I put this last as you really need to know ranger prior to using them effectively, as pets don't exactly cooperate--so you might have to spam a skill or recall it / give it the skill to get them to work.  Even with Untamed it's more important to learn the pet unleashed skills and what those do rather than the CCs--but if you get to learning the CC's too then you'll be better than a lot of your opponents.