Please improve pet pathing.

Psycoprophet.8107

Why can't pets jump up objects of reasonable hight, or tele to u when called if player is on a different elevation? Gets pretty annoying when the player jumps up on a box and onto another level of the environment and having to watch ur pet run around half the map to get to u when it could just followed ranger and jumped up onto the objects.

• Thanks 1

I'm not sure if I've seen any multiplayer game do a melee pet/summon/companion that would have this degree of path finding, so while Anet can improve it, it won't be enough to help with jumpable environment.
That means it needs a entirely new mechanic that would allow to change elevation, while not being abused in an unintended way. That 2nd part is the main issue.
So to do this you would need to make the pet AI check the path multiple times and somehow conclude, that there is no walkable path and the location of the target was a result of a path that a player used and not an elevation that even an another player couldn't replicate.
As you can see, this is not a week of work and doesn't seem like something Anet would spend resources on.

To be honest it's not just fixing or improving AI pathing for pets, if you will look closely you will see that AI pathing is common to a bunch of stuff such as NPCs pathing, ranger pet AI, engineer mech AI, various class teleportation skills.

In order to improve or fix the AI pathing they will need to invest some development resources to make sure nothing gets broken in the process of improving/fixing the AI pathing for all the given examples above such as a person to be in charge of the NPC AI, a person to be in charge for the pet AI and 1-X people to be in charge for the various class teleportation skills.

The easiest way to see the problem is taking a ranger or a mechanist and stand at the bottom of the stairs in WvW tower or keep, the pet will get stuck there and won't move regardless where you are on the stairs, move to the top and once you reach far enough at the top the pet will teleport on you since the entire area of the stairs is not a valid path for it to walk on, same for going down, summon it mid way in the stairs and it will get stuck there and won't move and even if you use skills like smoke assault from smokescale they won't work most of the time and the pet will do it in it's spot and not on target depending where the enemy is on the stairs.

The same example is seen in teleportation skills in those areas, that's why most classes with teleportation skills get a lot of "invalid path" in those areas, since it uses the same AI pathing for it.

Now, for NPCs themselves such as guards they handle it completely fine which is very weird and making me think why they made them act differently in such places where the difference between NPC AI and pets AI should not exist.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm all for them improving/fixing/changing AI pathing but depends at the cost of what it will come, there is always a cost, everything has a cost.

Edited by DarkFlopy.8197

I love it.  

They will have to put resources and effort into making sure that fixing pet pathing doesn't break anything...buuutttt...

Mechanist broke Ranger F2s for 2 years now and that's fine.  Literally, for a garbage spec that even engineers hate.  That's beautiful.  

Edited by Gotejjeken.1267
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

I love it.  

They will have to put resources and effort into making sure that fixing pet pathing doesn't break anything...buuutttt...

Mechanist broke Ranger F2s for 2 years now and that's fine.  Literally, for a garbage spec that even engineers hate.  That's beautiful.  

If you mean the AI freeze, then it was not because of mechanist.

10 hours ago, Beddo.1907 said:

If you mean the AI freeze, then it was not because of mechanist.

Swap freeze is dev issue on any new pet added since EoD, that one can agree may not have anything to do with a specific profession.

Skill and specifically F2 delay absolutely was.  Specifically, auto-attack and other 'mechanist first' items broke the way pets were able to cancel their own actions.  

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

Swap freeze is dev issue on any new pet added since EoD, that one can agree may not have anything to do with a specific profession.

Skill and specifically F2 delay absolutely was.  Specifically, auto-attack and other 'mechanist first' items broke the way pets were able to cancel their own actions.  

Aether Hunter was broken too, so it would be weird if mechanist was the reason.
Anyway no definitive proof for any side, just the lack of connection on the last pet.

3 hours ago, Beddo.1907 said:

Aether Hunter was broken too, so it would be weird if mechanist was the reason.
Anyway no definitive proof for any side, just the lack of connection on the last pet.

Not the swap, the F2.  Instant cast ones will work fine like Turtle bubble and Moa aura, but attack ones like gazelle headbutt, wyvern charge, iboga pull, etc. etc. all lag if the pet is doing anything else.  

That is what I'm talking about, and that is the direct result of Mech auto-attack implementation.  It's easily provable as mech because they had auto-attack before ranger did, for the first few months of Untamed's life had to manually use all the pet skills.  

1 hour ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

Not the swap, the F2.  Instant cast ones will work fine like Turtle bubble and Moa aura, but attack ones like gazelle headbutt, wyvern charge, iboga pull, etc. etc. all lag if the pet is doing anything else.  

That is what I'm talking about, and that is the direct result of Mech auto-attack implementation.  It's easily provable as mech because they had auto-attack before ranger did, for the first few months of Untamed's life had to manually use all the pet skills.  

Ah, misunderstood the 2nd part of what you said.

I remember the F2 issue since HoT. Especially E wyvern.