Profession choices

10 minutes ago, KindaMediocreGamer.5943 said:

What are my options for engaging ranged dps that isn't elementalist?  I saw longbow dragonhunter but I would need to be level 80 to even get there...I am not enjoying the ranger pet at all.

All classes have ranged options, but I don't personally find ranged weapons particularly engaging, especially when limited to core specs.  I suppose if I had to choose one that isn't ele (but whyyy?) maybe scepter necro?

Edited by AliamRationem.5172

I have never really been a fan of mages in all the games I have played.  I could give it a try here.  I say ranged because I have grown tired of dodging melee mechanics.  I don't know much about GW2, I just started this week so I could be completely off and be missing out on something which is why I am here.  I currently have a Guardian and Ranger in the mid 30s.

8 minutes ago, KindaMediocreGamer.5943 said:

I have never really been a fan of mages in all the games I have played.  I could give it a try here.  I say ranged because I have grown tired of dodging melee mechanics.  I don't know much about GW2, I just started this week so I could be completely off and be missing out on something which is why I am here.  I currently have a Guardian and Ranger in the mid 30s.

Well, ranged is definitely easier.  You have more time to react to incoming attacks and melee enemies have to close distance to even touch you.  You also don't have to worry about area denial.

On the other hand, a lot of players really enjoy the aspects of combat that ranged weapons allow you to circumvent, specifically dodging while engaging enemies up close.

If what you don't like about mages in other games is the rooted channel casts, there's an easy solution here.  Just run scepter ele.  It's mobile unlike staff which has some channeling.  But personally, I find the melee weapons like dagger and sword much more fun on ele!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KindaMediocreGamer.5943 said:

From a personal preference I do enjoy dual wielding melee weapons and I understand I have a lot to learn with GW2.  Can Ele dual weild the dagger and sword?

You won't be able to use sword until you unlock either the weaver elite spec or SotO weaponmaster training.  But dagger is available to the core spec.  I find dagger/dagger ele probably the most enjoyable core spec, but I love sword weaver even more.

I don't have any core ele or dagger clips, but here's a clip of my favorite, sword/focus weaver:

https://youtu.be/0gma7Ss_V-s?si=cxLeyCrAbiQOFLRE

Edited by AliamRationem.5172
  • Like 1

There's a few options.  Mesmer has a lot of them, with Staff Mirage, Virtuoso (both power and condi), and there's some power chronomancer builds that use Dagger and Greatsword.  Necro condi builds also tend to be ranged, both Harbinger and Scourge.  There's also some Deadeye builds that basically camp the Rifle.  Engineers have Rifle Mechanist as a ranged build, too.  

7 hours ago, KindaMediocreGamer.5943 said:

What are my options for engaging ranged dps that isn't elementalist?  I saw longbow dragonhunter but I would need to be level 80 to even get there...I am not enjoying the ranger pet at all.

Staff + greatsword Mesmer. Longbow + hammer Warrior. I think that they are the easiest core professions to level and work perfectly at range.

• Like 1

Alternatively, Revenant with hammer and as weapon swap probably sword/sword (hits harder than hammer but is melee) or whatever takes your fancy. Take dwarf and assassin as your two legends. That provides quite a bit of variety between the four combinations of legend and weapon swap. The elite specs are all decent too when you get to them, tho condition renegade (short bow) might be the strongest ranged dps of the lot.

Edited by Mistwraithe.3106
  • Like 1

Almost all classes have some form of ranged. However they may depend of power level of class total.

Mesmer is interesting, as you have greatsword as your weapon which is also a long range laser beam, that is cool You can pair it with Staff or Scepter. And you have clones for tanking, but you might be squishy overall.

Ranger, you could do combination of SBow, Lbow, Axe, i think dagger offhand, also staff for Druid (lv80) and you have a pet for tanking, and you are not that squishy. So nice option overall. And you have physical feel.

Warrior Lbow rifle is ranged, and not mage, but also lbow is condi, rifle crit, so it is hard to mix them, for warrior it could be better to go melee stick+ranged option, ranged as secondary.

Necro is mage, guardian limited ranged option, also guardian stuff could be too suport.

Engineer, ranged and physical feel, mechanist elite have pet for tanking, you can add some kits for even more ranged options.

Edited by evilcat.6817

On 1/6/2024 at 1:56 PM, KindaMediocreGamer.5943 said:

Dodging is fundamentally the most important defensive part of the game to learn whether you are ranged or melee. It is of the utmost importance to embrace it to get anywhere. I'd also put aside any preconceptions of classes from other fantasy tropes. Professions are more adaptable/flexible here and don't conform to stereotypes in order to get the best out of them.

Putting that to one side, I'll also answer a later post of yours. Elementalists are fantastic. They can dual daggers, they can use swords (1h only) and hammers (later). Long range they have scepters and staff, and soon pistol. The melee options make them less of a mage and more of a magical warrior.  However, they are a complex class so maybe one to try later.

As for ranged options that are worth it, maybe Thief. You will learn your dodges better (especially when you get to unlock a daredvil at 80 as they get an extra dodge). Thief can use pistol/pistol and at 80 they can unlock rifle on the deadeye spec. That's my recommendation. Warrior melee and switching to rifle for ranged is an option to help learn the game though.

Edited by Randulf.7614

On 1/6/2024 at 2:17 PM, KindaMediocreGamer.5943 said:

From a personal preference I do enjoy dual wielding melee weapons and I understand I have a lot to learn with GW2.  Can Ele dual weild the dagger and sword?

Yes, at 80. However from around 10 ele can dual wield daggers which whilst it may not be the most powerful set in the game it is to me the most fun