WvW Legendary armor appearances

Im starting the proces of making legendary armor after im done with Warbringer the backpack and since i am a WvW only player right now. Im gonna focus on making WvW armor instead of the other options.

My question is: If you use the Mistforged ascended pieces (the ones for rank 500 and above) instead of the normal Triumphant ascended armor to make the legendary, does the legendary then look different in the result or doesnt it really matter what you do?

• Sad 1

Legendary armor transmutes for free, so it'll look like whatever you want it to. If you go for the Mistforged ones, then you have access to those skins along with the glow effects that come with them.

It does look like the Legendary Armory has spots for both versions, so it technically makes a slight difference.

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)

So if i understand you right. If you choose the mistforged armor it is gonna look like the mistforged armor? I also heard that if you have the legendary armor that you can buy the mistforged ones for free in a separate tab, is that correct?

Edited by lyza.7253
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, lyza.7253 said:

So if i understand you right. If you choose the mistforged armor it is gonna look like the mistforged armor? I also heard that if you have the legendary armor that you can buy the mistforged ones for free in a separate tab, is that correct?

First part: yes, it looks like.
Second part: I've not heard that, so I doubt it. From everything I've read, that isn't how it works. If you want the Mistiforged skin, you have to do the extra work for it. Technically you could buy it after the fact since it's just a skin at that point. 

• Confused 1

Just now, idpersona.3810 said:

First part: yes, it looks like.
Second part: I've not heard that, so I doubt it. From everything I've read, that isn't how it works. If you want the Mistiforged skin, you have to do the extra work for it. Technically you could buy it after the fact since it's just a skin at that point. 

I see. Okay well then i know i dont have to go the extra mile for it. Thx for the intel!

• Like 2

Just now, lyza.7253 said:

I see. Okay well then i know i dont have to go the extra mile for it. Thx for the intel!

Not a problem. If you're on the fence about it, the chest pieces are worth it for the extra effects they have, if you like that sort of thing. All the other armor pieces are a lot more subtle.

This article might help: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Legendary_armor#WvW_armor_set

If you want the legendary to have the extra effects then you need to use the Mistforged Triumphant Hero's Armor as a precursor, not just the Triumphant one. It's worth previewing it before you decide though, because there's not much difference between the two - the biggest change is the Mistforged version has a blue glow (which I think is undyable) and the chest piece can have glowing lines coming out of it in combat (which are dyable).

You could do it the other way around - use Triumphant to make the legendary, then get the ascended version of Mistforged later to unlock the skin, but if you know you'll want it you may as well get it right away instead of buying both sets of precursors.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

This article might help: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Legendary_armor#WvW_armor_set

If you want the legendary to have the extra effects then you need to use the Mistforged Triumphant Hero's Armor as a precursor, not just the Triumphant one. It's worth previewing it before you decide though, because there's not much difference between the two - the biggest change is the Mistforged version has a blue glow (which I think is undyable) and the chest piece can have glowing lines coming out of it in combat (which are dyable).

You could do it the other way around - use Triumphant to make the legendary, then get the ascended version of Mistforged later to unlock the skin, but if you know you'll want it you may as well get it right away instead of buying both sets of precursors.

The OP can craft Triumphant legendary armor and transmog once they have purchased the ascended version of Mistforged Triumphant.

The only difference will be when they look at the armor or ping it in chat... it will say "Transmog" and next line will say "Triumphant Hero's Breastplate" for the heavy chest as an example.

That's it. That's the difference.

Otherwise Triumphant exotic/ascended/legendary all look the same. Mistforged Triumphant and Sublime Mistforged Triumphant chest piece - look the same regardless of ascended or legendary.

So it's up to the OP and anyone interested. Do you care if when you look at your armor pieces or ping them in chat they will say "Transmuted - Triumphant"? Most won't but I'm sure a small section might and will hold out for a full set of Mistforged ascended precursors.

Like here is heavy gloves - Mistforged Triumphant ascended on the left, Mistforged Triumphant legendary on the right: https://i.imgur.com/vSguwQq.png

And then if you were to transmute the skin you want on it, there's the text letting you know the base legendary: https://i.imgur.com/gQv1gnP.png

Except in the OP's case it would say "Triumphant Hero's Gauntlets" in white down below and the purple name up above would be "Mistforged Triumphant" since that is the skin the OP would equip.

Edited by Leger.3724

33 minutes ago, Leger.3724 said:

The OP can craft Triumphant legendary armor and transmog once they have purchased the ascended version of Mistforged Triumphant.

The only difference will be when they look at the armor or ping it in chat... it will say "Transmog" and next line will say "Triumphant Hero's Breastplate" for the heavy chest as an example.

That's it. That's the difference.

Otherwise Triumphant exotic/ascended/legendary all look the same. Mistforged Triumphant and Sublime Mistforged Triumphant chest piece - look the same regardless of ascended or legendary.

But if someone knows they want the Mistforged skins they can save a lot of skirmish tickets (and therefore time) by getting it right away, instead of getting the Triumphant version and then buying Mistforged separately later on to unlock the skins.

It's certainly possible to do it the other way around, but you'll end up spending another 2,620 skirmish tickets.

(But equally if someone buys the mistforged version then realises they don't like the effects and would rather not use them they've wasted the extra skirmish tickets over just getting the triumphant version.)

27 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

But if someone knows they want the Mistforged skins they can save a lot of skirmish tickets (and therefore time) by getting it right away, instead of getting the Triumphant version and then buying Mistforged separately later on to unlock the skins.

It's certainly possible to do it the other way around, but you'll end up spending another 2,620 skirmish tickets.

(But equally if someone buys the mistforged version then realises they don't like the effects and would rather not use them they've wasted the extra skirmish tickets over just getting the triumphant version.)

I believe you need to buy the Triumphant armor piece before you can buy the Mistforged version of said piece. So to get to the Mistforged version you need to have bought the non glow effect one either way. There is no way to save on tickets if you want the glow effect armor. Personally I think the effect is subtle enough, that if you are building up your set initially, it might be worth skipping them and coming back for the glow effect skins after finishing your full armor set.

from the wiki:

It takes a total of 2,620  WvW Skirmish Claim Tickets to obtain an ascended set of Mistforged Triumphant Hero's armor, 7 860  for all three armor weights.

This is in addition to the 1,310  for the Triumphant Hero's skins, which separately require 350 for the chest, 260 for leggings, and 175 each for boots, gloves, headgear, and shoulders. In total, it takes approximately 11 weeks (at 365  per week) to obtain the full set of one weight.

Edited by idpersona.3810
Added info
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

I don't understand. How?

The 2,620 skirmish tickets is the cost of a set of Mistforged Triumphant. But to be able to purchase Mistforged Triumphant you have to buy the corresponding Triumphant set for skirmish tickets.

3 hours ago, lyza.7253 said:

My question is: If you use the Mistforged ascended pieces (the ones for rank 500 and above) instead of the normal Triumphant ascended armor to make the legendary, does the legendary then look different in the result or doesnt it really matter what you do?

Preview from the Skirmish Supervisor/Skirmish merchant is my recommendation.

The Triumphant sets are identical from Ascended to Legendary.

The Mistforged Triumphant sets are identical from Ascended to Legendary.

Triumphant and Mistforged are nearly identical but Mistforged adds a slight glow that moves, pulses around certain pieces of the armor pieces, the chestpiece adds a big particle effect of 6 beams of light when you are wielding weapons. I really do recommend previewing from the vendor and wielding weapons, the top dye channel is the slight blue hue you'll see on the Mistforged version of the armor and it's pretty easy to overshadow much of the effect with a darker color.

You can save up for Mistforged Triumphant legendaries or you can craft the Triumphant and return later to purchase the ascended Mistforged Triumphant and transmute. Again - there is no visual upgrade from the precursor armor pieces for sale from the vendor and the legendary you will be crafting. The Triumphant set you see at the Skirmish supervisor will look exactly the same when crafting to legendary. The Mistforged Triumphant will look exactly the same when crafting to legendary.

Edited by Leger.3724
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Ty all for responding. Ive made my decision and I know how to proceed from here. Ive been playing for a long time, but I never got to do leggie armor. So thats gonna be a fun journey lol!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lyza.7253 said:

1 hour ago, lyza.7253 said:

Ty all for responding. Ive made my decision and I know how to proceed from here. Ive been playing for a long time, but I never got to do leggie armor. So thats gonna be a fun journey lol!

ya better wait for the pve one it looks probably more flashy

• Confused 3

There is some confusion in this thread which may confuse future readers.
I believe it is as idpersona.3810 said, there is no difference in cost between going straight to the mistforged version or adding it later. Going straight to mistforged requires unlocking the normal ascended armour anyway so you pay the same amount of skirmish tickets. 

Source: I thought it might be cheaper to go straight to mistforged so waited until level 500 to unlock but found you still need the normal ascended armour anyway.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, lyza.7253 said:

Im starting the proces of making legendary armor after im done with Warbringer the backpack and since i am a WvW only player right now. Im gonna focus on making WvW armor instead of the other options.

the mistforged armor is technically the actual legendary armor look, but they allow you to get the skins for cheaper, or the legendaries for cheaper, but not both. if you want both the skins and the legendaries then you have to go for the most expensive option available (imstforged->legendary).

you can think of it as simply having three difficulty tiers: mistforged armor (easy), legendary armor (medium), mistforged legendary armor (hard).

keep in mind that very few players end up using the looks of their legendary items, as they get old very fast.

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134