30th January Balance Preview

ZephidelGRS.9520

1 hour ago, ShadowKatt.6740 said:

If it makes you feel better, ain't no one using that rifle 🤣

At least you have extra heal with 1200 range right? You can now compete with some popular heals like HB.

And tbh, guardian staff 5 is even more useless in pve, literally garbage, ppl very rarely use it in pvp either, probably just some situations in wvw. Such a boring class.

Shame, axe clones used to look cool with the auto attack chain but first that got removed and now completely meh.

On the other hand I'm shocked dagger ambush has been allowed to exist for 6 months given previous philosphy about cc. Likely because the rest of the weapon is kind of pathetic which balances out lol.

Edit - mirage trait line is still a mess as hit has been for 6 years with the most minimal changes. It's about time things like IH as a minor, rethinking all GM majors as both EM and dune cloak suck (EM because it's completely useless against immobilise, the entire trait should be killed and replaced at this point having been an issue since the beginning), opening alacrity to not be such that running staff+mirage mantle is completely game changing in terms of cooldowns compared with everything else, addressing energy sigil crutch etc...

Edited by Curunen.8729
  • Like 3

On 1/31/2024 at 9:21 AM, Drag You Down.2615 said:

At least you have extra heal with 1200 range right? You can now compete with some popular heals like HB.

And tbh, guardian staff 5 is even more useless in pve, literally garbage, ppl very rarely use it in pvp either, probably just some situations in wvw. Such a boring class.

It does have its uses, even in PvE. They ARE pretty niche, though.

That does, however, demonstrate that you can have a skill on a weapon that is niche while the weapon as a whole is functional for its intended purpose. You shouldn't judge a weapon entirely on a single skill, especially skill 5.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

It does have its uses, even in PvE. They ARE pretty niche, though.

That does, however, demonstrate that you can have a skill on a weapon that is niche while the weapon as a whole is functional for its intended purpose. You shouldn't judge a weapon entirely on a single skill, especially skill 5.

I would then say the same thing to the new rifle. To me, it is just a filler to solve the current problem. And I think it can achieve its purpose.

21 hours ago, Drag You Down.2615 said:

I would then say the same thing to the new rifle. To me, it is just a filler to solve the current problem. And I think it can achieve its purpose.

Yeah, that's pretty much exactly the point I was making. If the rest of the weapon is balanced accordingly, it doesn't really matter if skill 5 is niche. And every so often it might be the enabler of a lifesaving (or at least timesaving) move.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

Yeah, that's pretty much exactly the point I was making. If the rest of the weapon is balanced accordingly, it doesn't really matter if skill 5 is niche. And every so often it might be the enabler of a lifesaving (or at least timesaving) move.

Then why everyone was complaining about it. I understand it but I also don't want to understand it. The thing bothering me the most is that some people think the new weapon should be as strong as possible, as perfect as possible, and complaining about power creep at the same time... It is weird that some weapons has similar combinations as mesmer rifle, but never heard anyone saying anything to them.

My original response was not even about mesmer rifle, I was saying that tempest has an unhealthy playstyle which makes it harder to use and less effective than all other healers in PvE.

3 hours ago, Drag You Down.2615 said:

Then why everyone was complaining about it. I understand it but I also don't want to understand it. The thing bothering me the most is that some people think the new weapon should be as strong as possible, as perfect as possible, and complaining about power creep at the same time... It is weird that some weapons has similar combinations as mesmer rifle, but never heard anyone saying anything to them.

My original response was not even about mesmer rifle, I was saying that tempest has an unhealthy playstyle which makes it harder to use and less effective than all other healers in PvE.

The forum, and especially the few clueless dissidents that are too loud, are not representative of the game as a whole. I can assure you that a lot of people are happy with how the Rifle turned out, both players in-game and players I met on Discord. There are definitely a few areas for improvement, but saying the Rifle will not be used is just delusional selfishness. It will 100% definitely be featured in a Chrono heal build. 

I don’t play heal Tempest enough to offer comments, but yes Mesmer Rifle healing output will definitely be very strong. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Drag You Down.2615 said:

Pretty much as @ZephidelGRS.9520 said: The forum has a lot of differing opinions, and just because some people say something doesn't mean that everyone agrees with it. Generally speaking, the longer threads are long because of disagreements. It's why I roll my eyes at 'people were saying X, and now it's been done, people are angry about it!' statements: usually, when you dig into it, it's different people, and the people who are annoyed are the ones who complain. Make a change, and the people who wanted that change grow quiet(er), while the people who were happier with how things were get noisy.

In this case, I'm in agreement that one niche skill doesn't ruin a weapon. I can't speak for those who think that it does. But I do think we'll find out either way when the weapon releases. 

As for tempest... I'm not sure it's the worst healer, but it certainly does suffer a bit from a design that doesn't really gel with other systems. This isn't really the right subforum, though.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

Pretty much as @ZephidelGRS.9520 said: The forum has a lot of differing opinions, and just because some people say something doesn't mean that everyone agrees with it. Generally speaking, the longer threads are long because of disagreements. It's why I roll my eyes at 'people were saying X, and now it's been done, people are angry about it!' statements: usually, when you dig into it, it's different people, and the people who are annoyed are the ones who complain. Make a change, and the people who wanted that change grow quiet(er), while the people who were happier with how things were get noisy.

In this case, I'm in agreement that one niche skill doesn't ruin a weapon. I can't speak for those who think that it does. But I do think we'll find out either way when the weapon releases. 

As for tempest... I'm not sure it's the worst healer, but it certainly does suffer a bit from a design that doesn't really gel with other systems. This isn't really the right subforum, though.

Most people on the forums are disillusioned with Mesmer or the game in general. Oddly enough alot of people stuck around to see what happened with Mirage but after they added back the second dodge I guess they have nothing to complain about so they left the game/forums. 

Even when Virtuoso was added with EoD most people's complaints were it was bad dps, we didn't need another Condition elite, it was selfish with no 5-man boons. All this has been solved and vice versa the players don't say a thing about it anymore. 

Edited by Mell.4873
  • Confused 3

In terms of mirage's backbone, not much has been solved.

Sure we've come a long way from eg slapping exhaustion on elusive mind, but the disjointed foundation of the spec is the same. While it was overpowered (like everything else) at the start of pof, you could at least play more like a thief given low cooldowns etc actively porting around like crazy. Instead of pushing the spec more towards this route, we got alacrity (a mistake), and a move towards passively massaging enemies to death.

The difference is myself and I imagine quite a few others can't be bothered to provide much feedback anymore - the game is as it is and will likely barely change so best just play and enjoy what's there.

Dagger ambush is cool though, I'll give them that. Despite going against their previous philosophy of separating cc and damage, they give us this spammable madness lol.

• Like 4

The only viable mesmer roaming build in WvW that can hold its own (against Harbinger is my benchmark) was the Celestial Shatter Chrono, and now it is dead and you can't roam anymore. (or you must take the boring Celestial Virtuoso bunker build, which makes me want to sleep). For all other builds you need situations, either with allies, or with terrain. Bye solo roamer mesmer.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2024 at 9:03 PM, Drag You Down.2615 said:

Are you talking about "Elemental Bastion" trait? I am sorry, there is no such a trait in PvE, because every Tempest will be forced to take "Lucid Singularity" which I HATE IT. Tempest is one of my most hateful healer, because you have several seconds that you cannot access the water attunement. That period is even longer than Druid's Celestial Form CD, This means that Tempest has very weak ability of heal through some extreme damage in long period WHILE providing 100% alacrity. Even you take some heals in your elite and utility skill, still way too little. You either have high heal or you have alacrity, but you just cannot have both.

When Chrono has the new Rifle and Berserker has the new Staff, Tempest will be the healer which has the lowest healing ability in PvE.

Was very clear I was talking about WvW if you'd bothered to read and contextualise, thank you for the completely irrelevant reply.