Zones don't have their own identity and ambiance

Hi,

Today something hit me after not playing the game for years, and playing through the game with a fresh character.

The zones don't have their own identity and ambiance in terms of the music. Ambient music is being re-used for almost every zone. Even cities don't have their own, distinct music and use recycled music. Music is so important and can add a lot to the identify of a zone. To me, it feels like every zone is the same. Of course, it looks different, but music does so much.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not saying the music in Guild Wars 2 is bad or anything, but zones are lacking an unique atmosphere. Great examples are Elwynn Forest or Duskwood in World of Warcraft, even Old Ascalon in Guild Wars 1: the music really adds to the entire atmosphere of the zones and gives it an unique vibe and memory that lasts a long time. 

That is completely lacking in Guild Wars 2, at least in the base game, which is sad.

What do you think? And does it get better in expansions content?

Edited by Sito.6352
addition and clarification
  • Like 3
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 1

I agree that thematic variance by region would be a nice touch for the core game, but after playing for over 11 years I just don't care. Each expansion DID bring about new music and tied it to the areas associated with the expansions, so you get your wish there at least.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Zera.9435 said:

I agree that thematic variance by region would be a nice touch for the core game, but after playing for over 11 years I just don't care. Each expansion DID bring about new music and tied it to the areas associated with the expansions, so you get your wish there at least.

I've been struggling a bit to find the correct words, but yes, thematic variance is something that would benefit the atmosphere greatly. I'm playing very slow-paced, exploring bit by bit and, as a result, spending quite some time in the same zone. But there is just zero variation in music, whatever zone I am, it's just the same playlist.

I think it can be implemented quite easily (or give us an option) to have thematic music per region or something similar.

• Confused 1

I'm sorry but this is incorrect. Every major region - Kryta, Shiverpeaks, Ascalon, Maguuma all have their own soundtracks and this carries on into the Living Stories and expansions which also have more unique tracks identifiable with that areas

The Guild Halls even have an option to select a particular ambient music specific to one of the core regions once you unlock the Guild Hall music

Edited by Randulf.7614
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 3

Yes, I'm a bit confused by this post. Whenever I return to the maguuma jungle after I've not been there for a while I go like 'oh yeah, I forgot I really liked the music!'

Have you never heard people complaining about the music in Lion's Arch? Or saying how they like the music in the mistlock sanctuary?

Then there's the music from LS1, the TUM-TUM-taaaaaa-TUM-TUM-clang you hear in the Twister Marionette or at Mama in the Nightmare fractal.

Have you even tried cycling through the different login screens? XD

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I usually have to play with the sound turned off and when it's on the music is set to be quieter than everything else, so I'm not sure I've ever noticed. I know guilds can set music for the guild halls, but I mainly notice that because one of my guilds uses SAB music which always sounds really out of place.

I agree it would help (unless as @Randulf.7614 says this already happens) but I can't say it's ever been a big thing for me. For me the ambience in each zone comes from how it looks, who we meet there and what they're doing. I really like Lornar's Pass for example because as you move south it goes from not only snowy and mountainous to forested lowlands and lakes but also from being fairly well populated, with mines, homesteads and forts in close proximity (and the Durmand Priory HQ) to more open space dotted with occasional outposts, several of which are actually enemy encampments. It's a really varied zone.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Sito.6352 said:

Hi,

Today something hit me after not playing the game for years, and playing through the game with a fresh character.

The zones don't have their own identity and ambiance in terms of the music. Ambient music is being re-used for almost every zone. Even cities don't have their own, distinct music and use recycled music. Music is so important and can add a lot to the identify of a zone. To me, it feels like every zone is the same. Of course, it looks different, but music does so much.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not saying the music in Guild Wars 2 is bad or anything, but zones are lacking an unique atmosphere. Great examples are Elwynn Forest or Duskwood in World of Warcraft, even Old Ascalon in Guild Wars 1: the music really adds to the entire atmosphere of the zones and gives it an unique vibe and memory that lasts a long time. 

That is completely lacking in Guild Wars 2, at least in the base game, which is sad.

What do you think? And does it get better in expansions content?

Are you talking about the two Nayos maps? If so, they are in the same zone, just staggered in release. It makes sense for the middle part to have the same ambiénce as the far part.

The ambiance of Amnytas is extremely different than that of Skywatch. Sandswepts Isles and The Domain of Istan also have different ambiances and environmental ambiance despite both being desert islands. The four zones in The Heart of Maguuma feel extremely different from each other even without sound.

What are you talking about? Jora East and West those are one conjoined zone though those are naturally conjoined. Drizzlewood Coat South and North feel extremely different from each other despite being a conjoined map since their conjoining is unnatural due to the bridge.

So again, what zones are you talking about?

Edited by Malus.2184
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)

I'm talking about the base game maps. A lot, if not all, maps have basically the same music. I haven't experienced the LS or expansion maps yet though, so if those indeed have their own soundtracks it certainly is something to look forward to.

Edited by Sito.6352
  • Confused 3

5 minutes ago, Sito.6352 said:

I'm talking about the base game maps. A lot, if not all, maps have basically the same music. I haven't experienced the LS or expansion maps yet though, so if those indeed have their own soundtracks it certainly is something to look forward to.

As I said, the core maps have different soundtracks per area - Kryta, Shiverpeaks, Ascalon and Maguuma. There obviously isn't specific zone ones because each region flow an interconnected story (something often missing in later maps), but there are clear unique core ambient atmospheres and musics for each area in the original base game maps. It's something GW2 has always been highly commended for.

For example you wont get the specific Shiverpeaks music in Harathi Hinterlands. Nor will Caledon Forest have the same thematic music as Iron Marches

Edited by Randulf.7614
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 1

52 minutes ago, Sito.6352 said:

This site may be informative: 

• Thanks 1