Shroud damage based on equipped weapons?

Are all the different shrouds’ damage based on the weapon you have currently equipped?  Used to be that having a 2 handed weapon gave you slightly more damage for shroud attacks than 1 handed weapons.  Is that still true today?  If yes, does that include harbinger?

2 minutes ago, Lonewolf Kai.3682 said:

Are all the different shrouds’ damage based on the weapon you have currently equipped?  Used to be that having a 2 handed weapon gave you slightly more damage for shroud attacks than 1 handed weapons.  Is that still true today?  If yes, does that include harbinger?

It's true for Death Shroud and Harbinger's Shroud, but Reaper's Shroud is considered an Exotic Hammer.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Drarnor Kunoram.5180 said:

It's true for Death Shroud and Harbinger's Shroud, but Reaper's Shroud is considered an Exotic Hammer.

Hits like a Legendary Mac truck though! 🤣

so I guess I need to continue switching to my 2hander before shroud. Thx for confirming. 

Edited by Lonewolf Kai.3682

they slipped in this change in the nov 28 (2023) patch:

• Profession skills that are not dependent on your equipped weapon will now default to the hammer weapon's strength.

wording is a bit weird but this change applies to skills like necro shrouds, tempest overloads, mesmer shatters… (which previously benefitted from 2h wep strength) but not skills directly tied with the weapon used like stealth attacks, ambushes, bursts(?)…

STOP!!

16 hours ago, Drarnor Kunoram.5180 said:

Reaper's Shroud is considered an Exotic Hammer.

HAMMER TIME!

As silly as that is, its also silly that their main weapon on release was the greatsword and in shroud they look like they are wielding a scythe.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/7/2024 at 3:14 AM, Noodle Ant.1605 said:

they slipped in this change in the nov 28 (2023) patch:

wording is a bit weird but this change applies to skills like necro shrouds, tempest overloads, mesmer shatters… (which previously benefitted from 2h wep strength) but not skills directly tied with the weapon used like stealth attacks, ambushes, bursts(?)…

Ok now i am confused. This means there is no dmg difference anymore depending on weapons used for shroud?

Edited by Rdm.3186

2 hours ago, Rdm.3186 said:

Ok now i am confused. This means there is no dmg difference anymore depending on weapons used for shroud?

In a nutshell, YES that is what it means.

If you've not finished some Weapon Master achieves like 5k kills on X wep.
You will notice every Reaper Shroud kill is counted as a HAMMER kill.
Basically your wep code got changed to Hammer when you enter Shroud, so what you equip doesn't matter anymore.

13 hours ago, MercurialKuroSludge.8974 said:

In a nutshell, YES that is what it means.

If you've not finished some Weapon Master achieves like 5k kills on X wep.
You will notice every Reaper Shroud kill is counted as a HAMMER kill.
Basically your wep code got changed to Hammer when you enter Shroud, so what you equip doesn't matter anymore.

That’s not just reaper shroud right?  It’s also core an harbinger, correct?

18 hours ago, Rdm.3186 said:

i dont know the specific details (e.g. will it still use the same weapon strength with a white rarity lv80 weapon equipped?) but assuming you have a 2h and a 1h (+offhand) on swap with the same stats, 1) you should notice the tooltip numbers in shroud are the same and 2) the actual average damage output is the same

you can try it with the other examples i gave (overloads, shatters), those too used to change depending on the weapon used

i believe weapon kills will still work as before, i.e. core/harb shroud kills will count to whatever weapon was being used before entering, reaper shroud kills will still randomly count towards hammer

2 hours ago, Noodle Ant.1605 said:

i dont know the specific details (e.g. will it still use the same weapon strength with a white rarity lv80 weapon equipped?) but assuming you have a 2h and a 1h (+offhand) on swap with the same stats, 1) you should notice the tooltip numbers in shroud are the same and 2) the actual average damage output is the same

you can try it with the other examples i gave (overloads, shatters), those too used to change depending on the weapon used

i believe weapon kills will still work as before, i.e. core/harb shroud kills will count to whatever weapon was being used before entering, reaper shroud kills will still randomly count towards hammer

Ok thank you!

13 hours ago, KrHome.1920 said:

Death Shroud - Guild Wars 2 Wiki (GW2W)

• The weapon wielded in Death Shroud counts as a staff and will count towards the Staff Master Achievement.

this is incorrect. core shroud #1, #2 and #3 kills count towards the weapon in your mainhand, while shroud #4 counts towards the weapon in your offhand. shroud #5 was (and is still?) bugged and may be only one that counts towards staff. it is possible that shroud related damage sources such spiteful spirit, weakening shroud and cascading eruption may also count towards staff

harbinger is the same, except shroud #5 does count towards the offhand weapon

8 minutes ago, MercurialKuroSludge.8974 said:

But regardless of what kills the Shroud skills count as, the dmg part SHOULD be fixed right?
Because thats the only important thing.
As long as the dmg part is fine, the kills can not-count-towards-anything, and I imagine a lot of ppl wud still be ok with it

yes, damage is now consistent regardless of whatever weapon type (1h, 2h, offhand) you have equipped

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Noodle Ant.1605 said:

this is incorrect. core shroud #1, #2 and #3 kills count towards the weapon in your mainhand, while shroud #4 counts towards the weapon in your offhand. shroud #5 was (and is still?) bugged and may be only one that counts towards staff. it is possible that shroud related damage sources such spiteful spirit, weakening shroud and cascading eruption may also count towards staff

harbinger is the same, except shroud #5 does count towards the offhand weapon

I don't know to which mastery it affects (cause I did them 12 years ago), but the damage multipliers are definitely not weapon based on core necro anymore (and never have been on reaper). Back in 2012 you wanted to switch to staff (the only two hand weapon core had) for maximum shroud damage cause two hand weapons have a 10% higher damage multiplier than one hand weapons. Today this does not matter anymore.

• Confused 1