Some fractals need change

1 hour ago, trunksam.3497 said:

so it's normal for new player in t1 to go on lonely tower or silent surf and just stop doing fractals cause it's freaking stupid

A lot of new players completly skip T1, T2 and T3 and go for T4 since requirements for T4 are low in terms of gear and skill lvl. Issue with fractals is that ppl get used to it being trivial and fast gold. Also silent surf T1 is not hard so noone stop doing fractals cause of that. I saw more frustration and struggle from new ppl in Mai Trin, Aquatic, Siren's reef and Shattered Obs.

Also I saw veterans as "I played fractals for years" struggle in T4 when you do not melt boss fast since they never learned and do not know how some bosses works. Also ppl got used to aegis let them skip some mechanics and so on.

PS I quickly checked some ppl which solo fractals so here enjoy new fractal as T4 done by one person:

• Confused 3

lord hizen solo even silent surf cm, i dont talk about difficulty, i talk about lenght.. i love gw2, it always make me feel better by playing it, it's a good game and do a lot of great thing like gameplay, meta, world boss, fractals, raids, strikes.. but here's a little something : 
Adventure like dungeon :
(in and out 5min adventure)
Mistlock Observatory
Aetherblade
Chaos
Cliffside
Deepstone
Molten Furnace
Nightmare
Shattered Observatory
Siren's Reef
Snowblind
Thaumanova Reactor
Twilight Oasis
Uncategorized
Underground Facility
Urban Battleground
Volcanic

Boss centered dungeon :
(almost nothing then boss)
Captain Mai Trin Boss
Molten Boss
Swampland
Silent Surf (5min boss)
Lonely Tower (5min boss)

WTF :
Aquatic Ruins (water)
Solid Ocean (afk)
Sunqua Peak (story)

It's weird that 2 boss centered fractals are like that and felt off.. i play since beta and really enjoy the game so far.. but please don't make this much difference between the same content.

• Confused 3

4 hours ago, Mic.1897 said:

Fractals were designed with longer fights in mind. It's how they're supposed to be. Power creep just ruined it though and it's taking ANet a while to fix it.

Thankfully they are though!

To be fair,original fractals were actually designed to be short, bite sized content. Originally meant to be 3 random fractals and a boss, which was changed later to choose any. They were meant to be approx. 10-15 mins in length. That was the design ethos behind the original releases. They weren't designed to be long fights

It wasn't until later fractals that they changed to focus on longer fights and more mechanics. I'm not a fan of it for T1 which was meant for beginners, but it's been established in the later era of fractals that they'd be much longer than the original philosophy.

I totally agree with t3/4 being longer/more challenging fights. T1 should be fairly quick though. Similar mechanics, just lower HP. The people T1 is aimed at a very, very different group of people after all

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Randulf.7614 said:

I totally agree with t3/4 being longer/more challenging fights. T1 should be fairly quick though. Similar mechanics, just lower HP. The people T1 is aimed at a very, very different group of people after all

i think t1-t2 should be easier with less hp and mechanics like it is with previous fractals, t3 have almost same difficulty that t4 but with less hp, t4 is the full fight and CM is a really long fight with new mechanics. like nightmare cm !

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

Posted (edited)

I think the big issue with those longer fractals is that the reward vs time investment is just way worse than older, shorter fractals.

If they adjusted that, I wouldn't mind spending a bit more time on the dailies / recs if the reward is adjusted according to the time and effort put in.

They could check their statistics for average clear time of each fractal, and dynamically set the daily/rec rewards to reflect the time people have to spend to clear the fractal. More time invested = proportionally increased reward.

Either way could work, bringing the rewards up or bringing the time investment down (so boss HP most likely). Make it worth people's time to do the longer fractals, or bring their length down to match the current rewards. People don't like doing extra work for same rewards.

I don't mind doing the longer fractals cause I actually like some of them (Sunqua and even Silent Surf) but I get that most people rather skip them when they seem like a waste of time for too little reward.

Edited by Chyro.1462
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

I am fine with the bosses having this many hitpoints at T3/T4/CM but the T1 and T2 bosses should have less (particularly T1).

T1 are for people dipping their toes into Fractals. This includes friends and family that I introduce to them.

The rewards are vastly less than the higher tiers so anyone chasing rewards will rapidly move up. I don't see any reason why Anet doesn't reduce the boss HP on Silent Surf and Lonely Tower in T1.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1