The Decade Decline is Calling.

As the years go by, and technology offers accessibility for developers and creatives, the competition widens to almost unfathomable lengths.

The amount of Open World Fantasy RPGs in the works has reached a tremendous scale. 

Therein lies an interesting concern. It seems as though the creatives at work have all been pushing to achieve something that we've failed to tap into. A proper fantasy world that brings everyone together.

One thing is for certain. The Fortnite formula (let's create a bunch of chaotic, vibrant, hyper nonsense) seems to be the opposite of what people are longing for. You can hack people's dopamine with colorful randomness, but at the end of the day it will never be enough!

Guild Wars 2 has been taking a similar route.

I fear that unless ArenaNet pulls back and beckons a controlled fantasy world (much to the effects of pre-searing Ascalon), then it's only downhill from here - no matter what their designers create.

I know some people may reject this sentiment because of sunk cost fallacy or some rare exception with their personal experience, however, the truth is clear. The emphasis on chaotic "looks cool" design is not going to bode well when one of the other upcoming developers strike gold.

• Like 3
  • Confused 33
  • Sad 1

But also consider the network effect. It's hard to get a bunch of people to play a game that not very many other people are playing. And furthermore, a new game doesn't have very much content, making it more difficult to retain new players compared to a more mature game.

I hate the garish eyesores that run across my screen, too. But I have accepted that it's the price that we pay for a B2P game with a cash shop that keeps it afloat. Would I pay a monthly subscription to not have to see them? Maybe, but maybe not. Some of the rest of the playerbase would, but some of them wouldn't. And the game would be filled with fewer players. It would probably be more visually satisfying to that smaller number of players, but the last thing an MMORPG can tolerate in 2024 is a dwindling playerbase.

If you hate the look, you can always turn down the quality/number of displayed character models. You'll see a lot more generic grey default outfits, which might make the game look more like what you want.

• Like 5

Well ever since we had first legendaries (so literally the start of the game) we had funny gag things that don't fit the vibe of the game. I don't know if you enjoy hearing all the Dreamers firing, or the Super Adventure Warhorn, or maybe you think that it is all fitting, but gem store things are not that far removed from that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)

People do it mostly for memesakes. If you want more grounded while touching on fantasy elements, I ironically recommend FF14. I found "grounded" present there quite a lot despite the anime. The only "hyper flashy" I've seen there have been artifact weapons (and the game spell effects-- LOOKING AT YOU RED MAGE LIMIT BREAK, but I digress).

As for the flashiness... It really depends who's perspective you look at it from. I enjoy the accessibility of the obnoxious to more subtle preferences, for those who want to go ham and be a giant walking meme (there's a lot of those people, and more power to em), but I personally spend a lot of time intricately crafting characters for RP sakes who have a certain theme with flair. Got my firebrand themed after a phoenix as an example, or my Spectre loaded with night/astral themes. GW2 is the only MMO I've actually been able to pull similar themes from has been WoW and Destiny. It's a balancing act and depending on your tastes it could be good or bad, otherwise the high fantasy elements are still very much present in this game and many others aesthetically.

Edited by KindredPhoenyx.8976
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

20 hours ago, Blackmoon.6837 said:

As the years go by, and technology offers accessibility for developers and creatives, the competition widens to almost unfathomable lengths.

The amount of Open World Fantasy RPGs in the works has reached a tremendous scale. 

It's interesting, then, than i just cannot seem to recall any of those actually succeeding since very long ago.

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

22 hours ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

Don't worry. We get the expack news next week. There will be PLENTY of dooooooooom. 

I'm already writing up the template. "Anet has gone FOMO, all they want is money, this expansion is horrible, Soto was awesome!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

I'm already writing up the template. "Anet has gone FOMO, all they want is money, this expansion is horrible, Soto was awesome!"

I'm gonna sing the doom song from invader Zim. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1