I am once again asking for Fashion Templates.

It confounds me that we still don't have a way to save our fashion to some sort of template. Every other aspect of GW2's transmog system is superb, and this is the one blemish on an otherwise near-perfect system. Before I played GW2 I played FFXIV, and the transmog system in that game is otherwise inferior across the board; you had to keep the physical items to use them as skins, the dyes and transmog charges were consumables that took up inventory space, and you could only have a finite number of skins available at a time. The one thing it has over GW2 is its Glamour Plate system, where you could save up to 24 custom outfits and instantly apply them. You could even link glamour plates to equipment loadouts. This is something GW2 desperately needs, and it would make sense from both a player and business perspective; players would love it because we'd have more freedom to switch up our looks, which means we'll be buying more skins, which means you will be making more money Anet. This is a feature we should have had years ago, and I'm shocked we still don't have it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Geronmy.3298 said:

Fashion templates and the removal of the transmutation charges would go a long way into making the fashion game better. Along with separate outfit dye templates and same with mount skins.

I would love fashion templates

SWTOR has a good system when it comes to fashion templates. However, I'm not sure whether or not Anet wants to get rid of transmutation charges and whether or not it's feasible from a business case point of view. I really just don't know.

SWTOR's system, eats gear pieces when you apply them to a slot in a template. The gear you get from their cash shop you can copy infinitely, so that's how they deal with the pieces you buy. Now, the vast majority of SWTOR gear skins comes from their cash shop (I mean more than 90%) and you can't convert credits (gold) to cartel coins (gems). Those are the downsides of SWTOR's system. 

I do like the idea by itself, however, one does not simply add fashion templates to GW2. It does have consequences for the gemstore, legendary gear, in game reward systems and the UI. And that's just the stuff I can think of. Not saying it's impossible, but those aspects have to be taken into account.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

32 minutes ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

I would love fashion templates

SWTOR has a good system when it comes to fashion templates. However, I'm not sure whether or not Anet wants to get rid of transmutation charges and whether or not it's feasible from a business case point of view. I really just don't know.

SWTOR's system, eats gear pieces when you apply them to a slot in a template. The gear you get from their cash shop you can copy infinitely, so that's how they deal with the pieces you buy. Now, the vast majority of SWTOR gear skins comes from their cash shop (I mean more than 90%) and you can't convert credits (gold) to cartel coins (gems). Those are the downsides of SWTOR's system. 

I do like the idea by itself, however, one does not simply add fashion templates to GW2. It does have consequences for the gemstore, legendary gear, in game reward systems and the UI. And that's just the stuff I can think of. Not saying it's impossible, but those aspects have to be taken into account.

If they wanted to they could keep transmutation charges involved. It could work pretty much like it does now - you pay charges to apply the skins or to make changes to a template and it's only swapping between your saved templates which is free. I doubt many people are routinely swapping between exactly the same skins, so I don't think that would make a big impact on how many transmutation charges are used overall. (Elder Scrolls Online introduced wardrobe templates - which they call outfits - and added a cash shop item to allow you to save skins to them, although you can also use gold.)

But I'm also sceptical of how many players actually buy transmutation charges from the gem store vs. just using ones they get for free. It might be that removing them entirely doesn't make much of a difference to their overall profits, especially if they replace it with something - like selling wardrobe template slots. (Which they almost certainly would do.)

I also don't think direct profit is always Anet's top priority. We've gotten a lot of things some players said they'd never do because it would reduce profits - there was a time they said we'd never get something like the wardrobe because before then players bought bank tabs and even character slots to store items with skins they liked. Same with the wallet (all those currencies used to be tokens stored in the bank), shared inventory slots (reducing demand for additional gathering tools, salvage kits etc.) and various other things. Yes Anet is a company and they need to make a profit to keep going, but I suspect they're well aware that long-term they can make more money with a good game that has fun and convenient features for players to keep us playing (and therefore buying expansions, new skins and other stuff) than by charging the people willing to stick with an annoying game for every little thing they want to do.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

I'm not sure whether or not Anet wants to get rid of transmutation charges and whether or not it's feasible from a business case point of view.

Considering the variety of free and free-ish acquisition methods for charges, I doubt it would have much if any measurable impact on the bottom line.

I'd say the main things would probably be motivation, time and the technical ability to implement it (maybe it involves some of that famously untouchable core/legacy code?).

I'd really like to have a fashion template feature too, but it's definitely not a new suggestion and we still don't have it so who knows?  🤷‍♂️

5 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

If they wanted to they could keep transmutation charges involved. It could work pretty much like it does now - you pay charges to apply the skins or to make changes to a template and it's only swapping between your saved templates which is free. I doubt many people are routinely swapping between exactly the same skins, so I don't think that would make a big impact on how many transmutation charges are used overall. (Elder Scrolls Online introduced wardrobe templates - which they call outfits - and added a cash shop item to allow you to save skins to them, although you can also use gold.)

Well, I hear you on that but you might underestimate how much swapping back and forth is going on. Unfortunately the preview window doesn't really show how things look once it's applied. And I know this because I've got legendary gear and I swap stuff around a LOT just to find that perfect combination.

But I'm also sceptical of how many players actually buy transmutation charges from the gem store vs. just using ones they get for free. It might be that removing them entirely doesn't make much of a difference to their overall profits, especially if they replace it with something - like selling wardrobe template slots. (Which they almost certainly would do.)

I have no idea about this either but since it's in the gemstore I have to consider it. And not everybody gets as many as they need because in OW PvE there are not that many to gain. I was in WvW a lot so I never wanted for charges but not everybody likes competitive modes.

I also don't think direct profit is always Anet's top priority. We've gotten a lot of things some players said they'd never do because it would reduce profits - there was a time they said we'd never get something like the wardrobe because before then players bought bank tabs and even character slots to store items with skins they liked. Same with the wallet (all those currencies used to be tokens stored in the bank), shared inventory slots (reducing demand for additional gathering tools, salvage kits etc.) and various other things. Yes Anet is a company and they need to make a profit to keep going, but I suspect they're well aware that long-term they can make more money with a good game that has fun and convenient features for players to keep us playing (and therefore buying expansions, new skins and other stuff) than by charging the people willing to stick with an annoying game for every little thing they want to do.

Agreed but like I said, I did have to mention it because it's there and I don't know the numbers.  It's interesting how you and others focus on this one element though. I did mention 4 things but this one thing is what people are responding to 🤷‍♂️

5 hours ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

It's interesting how you and others focus on this one element though. I did mention 4 things but this one thing is what people are responding to 🤷‍♂️

The rest of your post was all about SWTOR, which I've never played, so I can't comment on it. It sounds like their system is pretty different to what's already in GW2 (for example we've already got the wardrobe to save skins without having to keep the items) so obviously any templates we get will also be very different, but other than that I can't comment on comparisons because I don't know enough about the game you're comparing it to.

11 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

5 hours ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

Well, I hear you on that but you might underestimate how much swapping back and forth is going on. Unfortunately the preview window doesn't really show how things look once it's applied. And I know this because I've got legendary gear and I swap stuff around a LOT just to find that perfect combination.

That would be changing the skins saved to a template. When I said swapping I meant swapping between templates. If it costs transmutation charges to save skins to a wardrobe template then people who apply one, decide they don't like it and change it for another would still be paying two charges to do that. The only thing which currently costs transmutation charges which would become free is changing between entire looks.

Say for example someone wants their character to look like an NPC when they're doing the story, but when they're doing raids they want to show off cool skins they've unlocked, but they use the same equipment for both. At the moment they'd have to change all the skins - paying transmutation charges - when they do a raid, and then pay again to change them back afterwards. With wardrobe templates they could save both sets and as long as they don't want to change any of the skins they use in either set they could swap between them for free. If they want to make any changes to their skins they're using in either set it would still cost transmutation charges.

But I doubt there's many people who currently do that who don't have multiple sets of equipment and don't have legendaries (either of which allows them to save different skins in different equipment templates), so I think the overall impact on the number of transmutation charges used would be minimal.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

The rest of your post was all about SWTOR, which I've never played, so I can't comment on it.

My last paragraph was this: 

I do like the idea by itself, however, one does not simply add fashion templates to GW2. It does have consequences for the gemstore, legendary gear, in game reward systems and the UI. And that's just the stuff I can think of. Not saying it's impossible, but those aspects have to be taken into account.

So can I assume you never made it to my last paragraph then?

• Confused 1