New Pets from Janthir Wilds?

On 6/25/2024 at 6:51 PM, Kaishenjin.1357 said:

I want griffon pets like the ones ogres can tame. it would be great!

Griffon mount pet would be cool too- I like how their design diverges from other griffons, like they were almost selectively bred to be that way. Either way a griffon pet would be awesome.

Bees or snakes so I could pester my enemy while I'm far away. :3 Actually, I won't even ask why these two pets have not made their way into the game (skill names related to them don't count :P). Yeah, bast bow already mentioned snakes, sure. Snakes do live on some islands, and bees especially are present except in harsh cold climates, but I guess real life doesn't always agree with game design. 

Besides that, it would be pretty interesting if a juvenile bee summoned a swarm of bees that apply burning, poison, and strip boons. 
A juvenile snake could have a ground-targeted beast skill where a bunch of snakes lunge at your enemy, and after lunging, they become a mobile dark or poison field that pesters the enemy, pulsing poison and weakness. Confusion could also work thematically if not poison.
Both could be condi pets, but there would be some self-sustain or utility. Perhaps 'draining' endurance and gaining endurance or self-healing, hmm; that's not a niche ranger hasn't touched yet. 

12 hours ago, RainbowTurtle.3542 said:

Quickness and alacrity are no-goes. Those are spec specific, and heal Druid starting to provide group quickness or quickness Untamed providing group alacrity would be too strong. They also want to lower the amount of alacrity and quickness in competitive modes overall, so the pet would likely only be quickness or alacrity in pve (even if it was self/ranger quick or alac only).

Stability would be nice, mainly for group application on Untamed. Not entirely necessary but a good addition imo.

Resistance and resolution have high uptime with frost spirit. Frost spirit is a good skill, I don't think we truly need self or group applications of resistance or resolution.

Time to be pedantic- vigor is on Invigorating Bond, which activates with beast skills :3

Pets as a profession mechanic shouldn't cover everything. It's a good way to get certain utilities onto rangers without reworking skills, but just slapping boons (especially those meant to be upkept like quick/alac) isn't a good idea overall. Jungle stalker is pretty meh in the grand scheme of things considering it can't upkeep its might (and the f2 doesn't do strike damage alongside it), blue moa and red moa are awful (poor boon uptime with nothing else on the f2), and white tiger is only saved by the fact that aegis is incredibly strong (dare I say broken) and isn't meant to be upkept.

Interesting points. I was just pointing out which F2 boons and conditions we didn’t have yet and deliberately didn’t say if I thought it would be a good idea to cover them all eventually, because there’s a lot to consider. 

16 hours ago, RainbowTurtle.3542 said:

Quickness and alacrity are no-goes. Those are spec specific, and heal Druid starting to provide group quickness or quickness Untamed providing group alacrity would be too strong. They also want to lower the amount of alacrity and quickness in competitive modes overall, so the pet would likely only be quickness or alacrity in pve (even if it was self/ranger quick or alac only).

Self quickness/alacrity might be allowed, even in competitive, especially if it was in short bursts rather than having the potential for 100% uptime.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2024 at 6:38 PM, mirage.8046 said:

Besides that, it would be pretty interesting if a juvenile bee summoned a swarm of bees that apply burning, poison, and strip boons. 

I always wanted a pet that summoned more of its buddies as one of its skills.
One of my (actually half serious) proposals has been a house cat, that calls on 2 or 3 other house cats as one of its rotations while in combat. They leave the enemy a bit dazed (I imagine one of the cats jumping at enemy faces), bleeding and blinded after the daze has transpired. The F2 is an area sniff that reveals up to 5 stealthed targets. Out of combat, it sits right by the ranger or their shoulder so that it doesn't just randomly attack things until you're actually in combat, after which it jumps off and starts its combat rotation.

Since I know I'm dreaming and will not actually see a herd of cats attack my opponents, my actual answer to this thread is those wooden things that we've seen in their trailer. It would be cool if it's a bit magical, attacking things at range with some aoe abilities, or one that provides more useful utilities to the ranger, and is hopefully something that can withstand pressure so that I could stop treating my pets as a bomb in WvW with only 1/2 a second of life.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, meerfunkuhtron.9725 said:

The juvenile Hyena summons 2 more hyenas for a duration with it's F2. They are somewhat bad, because hyenas cannot ever crit cap (even with Vicious Quarry) but it's there.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

Self quickness/alacrity might be allowed, even in competitive, especially if it was in short bursts rather than having the potential for 100% uptime.

It'd have to be incredibly short, since they really do not want those boons to be super available (if at all). Self quick or alac on the pet itself would also likely be really mid.

Posted (edited)

give my ranger a Hound of Balthazar and she can die happy 😄

yes she is human, and yes she uses the elite skill already!

but it'd be nice having the pup for more than 30 seconds on a 4 minute cooldown. 😉

i'll just add on that Hounds of Balthazar were tamable in the original Guild Wars!

other exotic pets i'd like to see would be Hydras (mini), Wargs and various Saurians

Edited by Liewec.2896
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, RainbowTurtle.3542 said:

It'd have to be incredibly short, since they really do not want those boons to be super available (if at all). Self quick or alac on the pet itself would also likely be really mid.

self-application is obviously different from group application, and anet generally does not mind self-application even in PvP and WvW, because the base durations are low not to get permanent uptime or highly available. also, how would either boon be 'really mid' for the pet when you can use 'we heal as one' for the pet to copy its quickness or alacrity to the ranger?  

5 hours ago, RainbowTurtle.3542 said:

The juvenile Hyena summons 2 more hyenas for a duration with it's F2. They are somewhat bad, because hyenas cannot ever crit cap (even with Vicious Quarry) but it's there.

Yeah, I got reminded of them when I was thinking, "this would be cool to have a dog (or puppy!) variant too". I remember trying them before but found that they just are not as useful as others that we rangers tend to run around with.

10 hours ago, Liewec.2896 said:

give my ranger a Hound of Balthazar and she can die happy 😄

yes she is human, and yes she uses the elite skill already!

but it'd be nice having the pup for more than 30 seconds on a 4 minute cooldown. 😉

i'll just add on that Hounds of Balthazar were tamable in the original Guild Wars!

other exotic pets i'd like to see would be Hydras (mini), Wargs and various Saurians

Hounds of Balthazar were introduced pretty late, basically purely a tie-in after GW2 was already out, so I doubt many people think of them without being prompted. I'm not sure I even have them in my menagerie.

18 hours ago, mirage.8046 said:

self-application is obviously different from group application, and anet generally does not mind self-application even in PvP and WvW, because the base durations are low not to get permanent uptime or highly available. also, how would either boon be 'really mid' for the pet when you can use 'we heal as one' for the pet to copy its quickness or alacrity to the ranger?  

The fact that those boons would have incredibly low uptime on the ranger (with we heal as one or not) is exactly why they'd be mid. 1 second of alacrity doesn't do a whole lot in the short term (when you'd be using the f2) and half a second of quickness wouldn't be good either. They'd need to have higher uptimes to be worthwhile, and anet won't allow that.

11 hours ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

Hounds of Balthazar were introduced pretty late, basically purely a tie-in after GW2 was already out, so I doubt many people think of them without being prompted. I'm not sure I even have them in my menagerie.

true, i don't have them in my menagerie either and i had stuff like the rainbow phoenix, panda and black widow ^^

but you gotta admit it'd be cool having a permanent HoB in GW2 doing the awesome fiery leap on your enemies 😄

On 7/7/2024 at 12:57 AM, meerfunkuhtron.9725 said:

One of my (actually half serious) proposals has been a house cat, that calls on 2 or 3 other house cats as one of its rotations while in combat. They leave the enemy a bit dazed (I imagine one of the cats jumping at enemy faces), bleeding and blinded after the daze has transpired. The F2 is an area sniff that reveals up to 5 stealthed targets. Out of combat, it sits right by the ranger or their shoulder so that it doesn't just randomly attack things until you're actually in combat, after which it jumps off and starts its combat rotation.

It sounds so natural that it makes me wonder why ranger can't have that as its special beast skill! 

An AOE reveal would also be so cool, given the only other reveal ranger has is the classic 'sic 'em!' The house cat sitting right next to the ranger or being on their shoulder would be a nice touch. Your house cat(s) would do a lot of CCs and condition damage hehe.