Now that all the spear kits have been revealed, how do you feel about them?

1 minute ago, Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

I'd like to amend my previous opinion

It hits pretty hard if you play it in the same build you currently play gunflame with, I think. Even the interrupt, which is cool since most of the time those do zero damooj.

That said, just play gunflame if you want a funny cheese build that blows people up sometimes. It's better, it's longer range, it doesn't have a 90 radius aoe that can't track moving targets, it dazes on the burst (and I don't think just adding one to the primal burst on spear would be anything other than a "please play this instead of rifle!" moment).

I don't think the design concept of the weapon is terrible though. And I quite like the visuals, I'm kinda surprised most warriors don't.
You can about face everything on spear except the auto which is cool too.

At the very least, it's not Rev's spear lol. Holy moly what an awful feeling weapon that is. Highly encourage anyone upset with their spear to try it, you'll feel much better instantly.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Shagie.7612 said:

At the very least, it's not Rev's spear lol. Holy moly what an awful feeling weapon that is. Highly encourage anyone upset with their spear to try it, you'll feel much better instantly.

Tried it.

If the casting times were faster and it did one cover condi it would fit very nicely into my mallyx build. Both of those fixes are easy and likely to go through (as of checking someone posted exactly the bolded in the rev forums).

Prefer it to warrior spear. 

just play gunflame

yeah

Edited by Azure The Heartless.3261
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

It shipping worse than rifle is the whole point I'm trying to make.

But then you've got shortbow doing the same thing to spear lol

20 minutes ago, Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

it would fit very nicely into my mallyx build.

Hard disagree on that one. Even if it's faster, even if they bump it to 900, you still can't get around it requiring all your energy leaving you no room for utility usage, unless they more or less strip all the costs off the 2, 3, and 4.

It can't replace Mace/Shield, and at best, with improvements, it'll fill the exact same spot in buildcraft that shortbow currently does, with one making the other obsolete in any given patch. It doesn't add anything to or fix why condi rev builds are bad, it just looks cool.

I don't think that same kind of problem is true of spear, or rather has to be based on weapon mechanics. It being a power weapon more focused on aoe through the 2, 5, and regular burst give it the opportunity to fill a teamfighting niche in a way that rifle, a line drive projectile weapon, can't.

The 4 being a 1s cast followed by a 1.5s delay that only pulls on the final tick for a single chill is also embarrassingly bad.

Rev energy does not lend itself well to having weapon mechanics in the same way it does on like, Ranger maces, imo.

Edited by Shagie.7612
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

Tried it.

If the casting times were faster and it did one cover condi it would fit very nicely into my mallyx build. Both of those fixes are easy and likely to go through (as of checking someone posted exactly the bolded in the rev forums).

Something like this?

Rev spear has too long cast times on skill 1,2,4,5,  these need each 0,5 sec cast time. Since spear abilties will be used little more then other weapons skills, it has to be smooth fast enough and not slow.

Because of this the spear skills need lower energy cost.

Some larger radius on all abilties, should atleast be 240 and not 180.

600 range still looks too short if even these below get put in, so 900 range atleast.

• Auto attack: It could use more conditions like vulnerability on autos together with the torments each auto. For more condi hybrid weapon cover.

•Skill 2: Some weakness conditions on skill 2 added for more condi cover and defense.

•Skill 3: Longer/further evade on skill 3 with few more orbs.

Add even a 2nd ability that allows you to place the orbs at a different location which also triggers it because you moved them 

•Skill 4: Let it pulse chill conditions and not only in the end. 

If cast times are made faster, the end pulse pull will be more reliable too.

•Skill 5: Torment, poison and vulnerability conditions on skill 5. If 3 stacks max are reached, they gett applied like 3 torment, 3 poison and 3 vulnerability.

You gain stacks of abyss if a target is struck, max 1 stack and it stacks up to 3 max.

So far from what I have seen.

Thief sucks, it doesnt do enough dmg in any of the skills for both condi and power. Youre using the weapon purely for utility. A block on 5 but its actually just spend initative to get an aegis. Spamming 3 for mobility. It doesnt have the mortal kombat feel that i thought ut would have

Mesmer it works best on virtuoso. It doesnt do anything exceptionally well on other specs

Rev looks like an alternative to shortbow.

Engi is full offensive, 0 defensives so only seems to work with holo for at most being optimal

Didnt pay attention to guardian.

Ele looks like it is trying to summon Bahamut from final fantasy but dies before it gets to.

Necro is actually fun AF. But its hard to pull off a melee weapon on a squishy caster that has no blocks. And only skill based evade is in harb shroud. But its my fav weapon so far outside of it being good or not. 

Ranger is basically a better thief now. It stealths as much as a deadeye now, has a better deadeye elite built into its weapon.

Warrior.... i felt like i got gunflamed by a .50 cal machine gun. Turns out it was a dude chucking 7 spears at me or something. Also it seems good on spellbreaker too from watching Raij duel. 

Revenant spear is really good in making the openent immortal. Because revenant spear has:

1) No damage

2) too slow cast time

3) no condi cover

4) too low power damage

5) too expensive energy wise

6) too much abyss stacks required for optimal effect in 5th skill. Should be 3 stacks max, 1 stack gained per time max you hit with it.

Poison, vulnerability, torment 1 stacks ramping up to 3 stacks each of them when 3 abyss stacks has reached better hybrid.

Edited by arazoth.7290
  • Like 2