More Potential for Homestead Functionality

Homesteads look to be a great addition on an aesthetic level. Their functionality remains limited (just node farming and some buffs). This means that the feature will only see a big impact on those deeply invested in decorating the space. Adding more utility to the Homestead could increase its value to every player.

Maybe further functional appeal to players is off the table for Janthir already. In the future, there is potential for more reasons to interact with Homesteads:

Asura Gate: Let me place all the portal scrolls cluttering my inventory into a singular portal. Encourage players to go gather all the scrolls. Add new ones to entice those who already have them. Any OSRS players might be familiar with the Portal Nexus and it’s value.

Crafting: To be brief, add crafting stations. Simple. If you wanted to spice it up, add “Homestead licenses”. Let me unlock the ability to craft whatever I want in the Homestead without having to swap characters (granted at least one character has the crafting levels of course).

- Expand on the Black Lion Gathering Agents: Let me build up a roster of characters to send out on missions to gather, slay, explore, whatever you wish. Give me a war table to coordinate things. 

These are some examples, but surely not all, of the functional ideas that Homesteads can bring. It doesn’t have to be cheap. It doesn’t have to be fast. Obviously Anet isn’t going to devalue their lounge passes that quickly. 

Giving players more reasons to want to play your game isn’t a bad idea though. Let players find new reasons to explore the game and showcase their investment beyond the cosmetic. Make Homesteads a tangible benefit for every player.

• Like 11

3 hours ago, Flapjackson.1596 said:

Homesteads look to be a great addition on an aesthetic level. Their functionality remains limited (just node farming and some buffs). This means that the feature will only see a big impact on those deeply invested in decorating the space. Adding more utility to the Homestead could increase its value to every player...

I really like all your suggestions and hope that we see some of them implemented. However, I don't want to dismiss the node farming and buffs quite so easily. I have a full home instance where I harvest every day. Even with glyphs of reaping on my gathering tools, it takes a bit of time to get it all done. The auto-collect button seems awesomely useful to me. As for the buffs, the EoD and SotO resting buffs don't apply to WvW. The new resting buff will. That is another significant qol improvement in my book. As for the aesthetic level, I don't have much of a design flair myself but I have a guildie who does. I've already let her know that I really, really want to get her to decorate my homestead. If she agrees, I know she will turn it into an awesome place. So yes, I very much  hope that Anet will keep adding more features like those you are suggesting but I am really hyped for the ones they have already said they will give us. Oh, and I should add, that I never thought player housing would be of much interest to me but it is now very much getting my interest.

Edited by Chichimec.9364
  • Like 2

they have added a lot of interesting things to the homestead system already but your suggestions are great and there could definitely be more I imagine putting upgrades in the masteries and other ways to achieve them etc.

I'd also like to see better community features such as a permission to set toggle: private. party, friends list, guild members to visit your property whenever, just drop by and check it out kind of thing (ofc no edit access)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, quake.9023 said:

fishing will be there right./? pvp ring ?

There will be fishing.  Fishing hole(s) shown in screenshots (and video) and from the News Blog, "Players can increase their comfort level through various activities such as harvesting nodes, watering flowers, fishing, swimming, chopping trees, watching cats do cat things, and much more, all within the confines of their homestead."

• I'm hoping that they don't forget to add a recipe for crafting our bloodstone brick oven kitchen set. It currently exists within our home instance.
  • Jade bot workbench locations are limited in number and are rarely used, so it's a good idea to include them in more places. Guild halls currently have a decoration for them that can be imported over.
  • A United Legions Waystation decoration would be nice to have as convenient to resupply on waystations for world PvE content.
  • An anvil to grant us Reinforced Armor.
  • Feast objects that grant food boons from famous outdated foods that players never really use anymore. Ascended food is a million times better anyways, so it won't ruin the market. Have the recipes cost multiple old feasts to create.
  • Objects that allow for people to teleport into the guild halls that we are members of as guests. Good way to invite friends to PvP in a guild hall arena or advertise guilds! Guild halls currently do have a guest system, but it is rarely used for outsiders.
Edited by Quench.7091
  • Like 3