After 10 years...elementalists can finally look forward to an expansion weapon

In itself that's a milestone for the ele community. After warhorn....sword.....hammer....pistol..we finally get something to be excited about, this will be the first time ever I order a deluxe/ultimate version of a GW2 expansion.

My feedback on spear : 10/10

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 15

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Demented Yak.6105 said:

Can you tell me what excites you? I think it's very pretty but also extremely weak, boring to play and waaaaay too flashy to be practical. I was far, far more excited about the sword and hammer.

Spear covers that niche playstyle which was missed from elementalist: small combat 1200 ability, it is not meant to substitute staff entirely for zerg fights, staff does still a better job at that despite what people say but for small combat..spear is what you want:

• fast casting
  • mobility
  • 1200 range
  • 4x different fields for combos(Etching) and...good access to daze...

My ranking of ele weapons is the following after today:

1. Scepter
  2. Focus
  3. Dagger
  4. Spear
  5. Sword
  6. Staff
  7. Pistol
  8. Warhorn
  9. Hammer

Edited by Arheundel.6451
  • Like 6
  • Confused 7

I'm not sure how the spear fills those niches. Almost everything you mentioned is done better by other weapons.

Fast casting: Pretty much every weapon except staff and hammer are as fast or faster. Maybe the animations are a bit less fluid on other weapons.

Mobility: Again, some other weapons have as much mobility or more. The spear has one leap in water attunement. Otherwise, there's not really any mobility especially compared to some of the other professions' spears. It can even hinder mobility by keeping you inside your etchings (if you care about the full potential of the skill). Also, your highest damaging skills, Fulgor and Volcano release their damage very slowly and don't move with your opponent/s - unlike scepter where the damage is released fast and where some attacks now follow your opponent (dragon's tooth for example).

4x different fields: I think Catalyst fields, Tempest fields and other weapon fields are better. The etchings provide pretty short duration fields and if you want to unleash the full potential of your etching then you must stay inside that same attunement until the field is gone - limiting the number of combos you can complete. So you won't be blasting your fire etching multiple times unless you take arcane wave (ew) or give up some damage.

Daze: I'm not sure why a 1/4 second daze is worth mentioning. The 3 second float on air 4 is nice though. 

Sorry if I sound incredibly negative. I'm not trying to ruin your excitement. I'm just hoping someone can explain to me what I'm missing.

Edited by Demented Yak.6105
  • Like 6
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Reijii.1642 said:

I don't know about pve, but for wvw so far the spear looks about on par with the pistol and no particular reason to take it over existing weapons.

The offered gameplay is smooth and fast hence 10/10, but the numbers will be upped for certain, the numbers outside fire are meager for a class that cannot swap weapon to a defensive set, water and air 2 damage must be increased by 200% and I am not joking, a 2k dmg on a full zerk build is stupidly low

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

27 minutes ago, Arheundel.6451 said:

The offered gameplay is smooth and fast hence 10/10, but the numbers will be upped for certain, the numbers outside fire are meager for a class that cannot swap weapon to a defensive set, water and air 2 damage must be increased by 200% and I am not joking, a 2k dmg on a full zerk build is stupidly low

The gameplay is anything but smooth and fast. AA and other skills are slow and will miss targets if they just walk. The Etchings are nothing more than another gimmick for spamming skills off cooldown. The skill "3" are worse than Flame Burst on staff. The skill durations are too low. Another gimmick of "center radius" forcing higher skill requirement for full effects.
This weapons demands a lot from a player for it's full potential but it provides no rewards. Be quick to cast all skills that takes forever in a pattern for Etching demand, be precise with casting your skills to get more benefits from bullseye mechanic. In WvW you're sitting duck, even worse than Staff.
The damage is the least of the problems that weapon has...

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Arheundel.6451 said:

In itself that's a milestone for the ele community. After warhorn....sword.....hammer....pistol..we finally get something to be excited about, this will be the first time ever I order a deluxe/ultimate version of a GW2 expansion.

My feedback on spear : 10/10

Can you explain how no one was excited about the following please?

A. Warhorn

B. Sword 

C. Hammer 

D. Pistol 

• Like 3

I was never excited for spears to begin with, so seeing how it plays out in game makes me still disappointed in it. Pistol will always be my favourite weapon for Ele based on theme alone. I know that is a take that goes opposite here, but I still like and love pistol with how it plays and everything including pistol weaver builds. Sword would be second for me since that one is still fun as hell to play. Spear here is meh imo. Tried it and was bored with it in less than 2 minutes.

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

17 minutes ago, Doctor Hide.6345 said:

I was never excited for spears to begin with, so seeing how it plays out in game makes me still disappointed in it. Pistol will always be my favourite weapon for Ele based on theme alone. I know that is a take that goes opposite here, but I still like and love pistol with how it plays and everything including pistol weaver builds. Sword would be second for me since that one is still fun as hell to play. Spear here is meh imo. Tried it and was bored with it in less than 2 minutes.

The concept of pistol is fantastic, the execution not quite. I'm coming round to it and do use it regularly but they really need to revisit the sounds and animations especially that auto attack sound. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

24 minutes ago, Doctor Hide.6345 said:

Do you have any Pistol builds? I recently started playing around with Pistol as a weaver with full celestial, a few times I've managed to get my bleeds to 15k and my burning to 20k at the same time on some bosses, it's been crazy seeing as it's very low APM (At least) compared to sword

5 minutes ago, Flame Of The Titan.3649 said:

Do you have any Pistol builds? I recently started playing around with Pistol as a weaver with full celestial, a few times I've managed to get my bleeds to 15k and my burning to 20k at the same time on some bosses, it's been crazy seeing as it's very low APM (At least) compared to sword

Check here, I use the condi tempest one though with a more simplified rotation. There is a weaver build too but I've no experience with that https://snowcrows.com/builds/raids

3 hours ago, Atoclone.4810 said:

A. Warhorn

B. Sword 

C. Hammer 

D. Pistol 

Because:

Warhorn is a pure pve weapon

Sword is for tanky duellist and one of my favourite 

Hammer was pointless as we already had dagger/dagger for melee combat, it should have been a moving melee range aoe fortress...instead is a..we dunno what

Pistol, I can make it works thx to offhand, weapon....on its own the weapon is not that good outside golem benchmark

So yeah as a wvw player with occasional pvp, spear offers what I needed

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

8 minutes ago, Arheundel.6451 said:

Because:

Warhorn is a pure pve weapon

Sword is for tanky duellist and one of my favourite 

Hammer was pointless as we already had dagger/dagger for melee combat, it should have been a moving melee range aoe fortress...instead is a..we dunno what

Pistol, I can make it works thx to offhand, weapon....on its own the weapon is not that good outside golem benchmark

So yeah as a wvw player with occasional pvp, spear offers what I needed

So when you said we you meant just yourself? 

Other than warhorn I've been pretty excited about them all except spear

• Confused 3

15 hours ago, Demented Yak.6105 said:

I'm not sure how the spear fills those niches. Almost everything you mentioned is done better by other weapons.

Fast casting: Pretty much every weapon except staff and hammer are as fast or faster. Maybe the animations are a bit less fluid on other weapons.

Mobility: Again, some other weapons have as much mobility or more. The spear has one leap in water attunement. Otherwise, there's not really any mobility especially compared to some of the other professions' spears. It can even hinder mobility by keeping you inside your etchings (if you care about the full potential of the skill). Also, your highest damaging skills, Fulgor and Volcano release their damage very slowly and don't move with your opponent/s - unlike scepter where the damage is released fast and where some attacks now follow your opponent (dragon's tooth for example).

4x different fields: I think Catalyst fields, Tempest fields and other weapon fields are better. The etchings provide pretty short duration fields and if you want to unleash the full potential of your etching then you must stay inside that same attunement until the field is gone - limiting the number of combos you can complete. So you won't be blasting your fire etching multiple times unless you take arcane wave (ew) or give up some damage.

Daze: I'm not sure why a 1/4 second daze is worth mentioning. The 3 second float on air 4 is nice though. 

Sorry if I sound incredibly negative. I'm not trying to ruin your excitement. I'm just hoping someone can explain to me what I'm missing.

There is the pull, float, daze x 2 plus and forgot couple more ...Add Lightning rod to maximise the utility.  You can maximize Etching with AA and no extra cost and....pulsing stab field, available on every spec not just tempest or catalyst. Oh and this is 1200 range, so no more standing at sniping range of enemy in wvw..scepter is 900 range, while mesmer/necro pewpew from 1200 range...spear will be a huge difference 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, Arheundel.6451 said:

Spear covers that niche playstyle which was missed from elementalist: small combat 1200 ability, it is not meant to substitute staff entirely for zerg fights, staff does still a better job at that despite what people say but for small combat..spear is what you want:

• fast casting
  • mobility
  • 1200 range
  • 4x different fields for combos(Etching) and...good access to daze...

My ranking of ele weapons is the following after today:

1. Scepter
  2. Focus
  3. Dagger
  4. Spear
  5. Sword
  6. Staff
  7. Pistol
  8. Warhorn
  9. Hammer

My ranking :

1. dagger
  2. scepter
  3. sword
  4. focus
  5. hammer
  6. warhorn
  7. staff
  8. Pistol
  9. spear
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Flame Of The Titan.3649 said:

Depends on my build and mood to be honest. I don't mind the condi tempest and weaver builds from snowcrows which I even use in open world. They are not that complicated once you actually play them. I also play with a open world Catalyst Cele build which I got from GuildJen if I want to go lazy mode.

18 hours ago, Luki Hofi.9058 said:

my story with spear so far in pve:

hyped after first trailer
expected not much after preview stream
deleted beta char after 5min

my story with spear so far in pve/wvw:

intrigued very much after preview stream
can't put down my beta character and I am sad that release is 2 months away

I am just amazed and how people reacted to spear 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

Visuals are amazing, but my main concern with spear is that, by themselves, etchings don't really do much. We have to stay inside this restricted area that, besides being a cool combo field (that we can't even really effectively combo cause this is meant to be a long ranged weapon), doesn't do anything on its own.

I mean, other weapon skills with area effects do damage, pulse boons, heal etc., the same goes for overloads and jade spheres, but etchings are... kinda there for a few seconds?

I get that the main skill is Volcano, Derecho etc., and that this is not a support-oriented weapon, but still, I think they should at least pulse some kind of condition (burning for fire, chill for water, etc), so that foes are somehow punished for getting inside, otherwise we are pretty much asking to be targeted while we try to charge our 5th skill inside it. 😅

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Luki Hofi.9058 said:

my story with spear so far in pve:

expected not much after preview stream
deleted beta char after 5min

I kinda liked It for instanced content, even tough Sword still looks more fun. Open World just should looks like PvP. And in PvP the weapon is a completely torture, scepter can just one shot with better performance and not being a supposed Glass Cannon weapon. The only reasonable way that i find to make Spear Works in PvP is with tempest, with a Full chill build, but is Just funcional not good, and dont chill enough.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2024 at 7:49 PM, Atoclone.4810 said:

A. Warhorn

B. Sword 

C. Hammer 

D. Pistol 

Summarising the reasons I've seen other people not being excited for these weapons, noting that I don't necessarily agree with them:

A. Offhand weapon, which many people consider to be less valuable than mainhand or 2H weapons.

B. Melee weapon

C. Another melee weapon

D. Lacklustre graphics and a mechanic that many people find awkward

The only one of the above I remember really having enthusiasm for it once the skills were revealed was sword, because a significant portion of the player base at the time had been pushing for elementalist to get a true melee weapon (as opposed to basically-melee-but-with-extra-reach) like dagger. What enthusiasm there was for hammer died when it turned out that the range was limited to 600, a range bracket that had been pretty much eliminated previously with good reason. And pistol was identified by most people as being too complex for too little payoff really quickly.

Warhorn is actually pretty cool. Personally, I'm a little concerned that ArenaNet seems to be avoiding offhands altogether.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

32 minutes ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

Summarising the reasons I've seen other people not being excited for these weapons, noting that I don't necessarily agree with them:

A. Offhand weapon, which many people consider to be less valuable than mainhand or 2H weapons.

B. Melee weapon

C. Another melee weapon

D. Lacklustre graphics and a mechanic that many people find awkward

The only one of the above I remember really having enthusiasm for it once the skills were revealed was sword, because a significant portion of the player base at the time had been pushing for elementalist to get a true melee weapon (as opposed to basically-melee-but-with-extra-reach) like dagger. What enthusiasm there was for hammer died when it turned out that the range was limited to 600, a range bracket that had been pretty much eliminated previously with good reason. And pistol was identified by most people as being too complex for too little payoff really quickly.

Warhorn is actually pretty cool. Personally, I'm a little concerned that ArenaNet seems to be avoiding offhands altogether.

I can understand why warhorn once sucks, the skills are cool and the concept was nice but lets be honest that came out from core Ele to gain a OH weapon really sucks.

Sword is the prime of Arena Net, the only weird thing is not being dual sword, the Weaver icon Just take my OCD to stress, but the weapon itself ABSOLUTE CINEMA.

I think that Hammer is not the worst, it still gave me angry when i remember that lack the enough balls to Arena make the elements works in another way. Like imagine a power build inspired from bomberman Engineer, but with a Power Earth Hammer focused build; i think that the main problem behind the Hammer is that it cames with the most nonsense and boring spec. Is actually kinda fun to use in Weaver?

The main problem with pistol is the weapon itself, the complex mecanic try to make up that the skills are not powpow with different colors, i like the whole Idea behind the mechanic, just looks boring; the thing that Just made me upset about pistol is that Air is the most cool element for pistol fantasy, and its a condi weapon. The same happens with Spear, where Water is just soo-won fantasy and Water is not a damage element.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1