New Player

19 minutes ago, Pudge.7523 said:

Again, ty all 4 the advice.  Sooo, i think i'm liking engineer..lol flame thrower is FUN!!!  Anyway, so im in the second area and the map says im way over toon level  vs location area.  I'm a bit of a completionist so id like to do it all on a map then move on.  Am i gimping myself..as far as time and xp?  im not really in a hurry....Thank you all.

Pudge

Unlike many other games, you still get more or less full XP in lower level areas because the game downscales you a bit when you go into lower level zones. You're perfectly fine to do map completion and stuff, even if significantly above map level. :)  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pudge.7523 said:

Again, ty all 4 the advice.  Sooo, i think i'm liking engineer..lol flame thrower is FUN!!!  Anyway, so im in the second area and the map says im way over toon level  vs location area.  I'm a bit of a completionist so id like to do it all on a map then move on.  Am i gimping myself..as far as time and xp?  im not really in a hurry....Thank you all.

Pudge

There are several maps for each level. You can move around the World Map to complete each.

Here's a list:  https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Zone#Original_release_zones

1 hour ago, Pudge.7523 said:

Pudge

There's no right or wrong thing to do and you are downscaled to match the level of the map if you level too high. It's not wise to go into an area higher than yourself though

• Like 1

On 6/29/2024 at 3:02 PM, Tinker.6924 said:

Stay away from scribe unless you have 10 tons of gold to burn and a guild that’s friendly with its permissions. 

I would expand on this and say Scribe is only relevant if you join a guild, have a guildhall, and become obsessed with decorating (as I have). And then only once you've built up a large amount of gold (which as a new player you likely will not).  The crafts you should focus on initially are the 3 revolving around weaponscrafting and the 3 revolving around armorsmithing. Cooking and Jewelery are far less relevant, and as I mentioned above, scribing is really only relevant if you want to decorate (scribing will have no relevance to the upcoming Homesteads).

• Like 2

On 6/29/2024 at 11:18 AM, Linken.6345 said:

All wvw dont use servers anymore since it is all guild based now.

So yea servers only matter if you wanna play on Eu or Na side.

True, but when first creating an account you must choose a World, rather than a Team.  Don't think they've updated that part yet.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

True, but when first creating an account you must choose a World, rather than a Team.  Don't think they've updated that part yet.

I think that's how it's supposed to be. When you first create an account, you choose Eu or NA. But when you want to join a side in WvW, you choose a server, because if you're that new, the odds of you having a guild are pretty small. 

You won't be able to join a guild and play with them directly, but you can join a guild, ask them what server they're on and then join the same server. Or go to the server with your friends. I believe this is working as intended.

When you do join a guild, then you just select them as your WvW guild, even if you're already playing on the same server, so when they change at the end of the matchup, you stay with them.

• Confused 1