Where did the battles go?

The whole of SoTO was missing these. The ones where big group of NPCs smashes into big other group of NPCs. I've loved doing these ever since claw island in the OG story. and to be honest, since the writing and the easy bosses aren't much to write home about, i look forwards to this category of set piece content more than any other, second only to map metas which are thankfully still pretty good.

There was an instance in SoTO where you capture the queen by assaulting her palace. it starts off with you and the rebel general, and he says he's deployed your allies in a horn formation, and you're going right down the middle... and its the two of you vs 8 mobs in a line. like what? is it really that hard to place a bunch of enemies and friendlies down and make them fight? what is wrong with the dev pipeline at anet? its kind of baffling considering the giant battles in drizzlewood, all the fights in PoF and the following season, and all the others across the entire rest of the game. 

I enjoy these fights because of the spectacle, and they offer something that isnt the photon soup that occurs when more than 3 players fight in the same area. can we get them back please? and keep them? I mean you dont need to shoehorn it in if the story doesnt demand it, but all the talk of the astral ward and rebel kryptis forces made me ready to see a big combined showdown that never came.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

It is odd. Considering that core story instances, and living world instances, give you 3 to 5 npc allies.

I do agree that story instances should prioritize spectacle.  Spectacle, character progression, and plot advancement.

• Like 3

They came to the realization that the player character would never survive these battles unless they are Charr, the best possible playable race.

It wouldn't be fair to give Charr players more content just because their characters are objectively better and more successful financially 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 11
  • Confused 12

I mentioned this in one of my several bits of feedback for SotO, specifically using Claw Island as the example also. That battle at eventide march should have played out like Claw Island in terms of scale and significance. I'm guessing they just didn't have the time/resources to make it that good. Claw Island at least showed what was possible. All we can do now is hope they take our feedback with our dissatisfaction with this and put it to use to make JW better.

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

The battles couldn't be realised. Just use your imagination and keep buying half-baked yearly "expansions". Look they're doing land-spears, housing and kodans, aren't you excited?

Edited by Omega.6801
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 1

On 7/12/2024 at 2:41 AM, Mic.1897 said:

They came to the realization that the player character would never survive these battles unless they are Charr, the best possible playable race.

It wouldn't be fair to give Charr players more content just because their characters are objectively better and more successful financially 

All the confused reacts from non-Charr mains, says it all really.

• Thanks 1

On 7/12/2024 at 3:41 AM, Mic.1897 said:

Metal Legion, Metal Legion! XD

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1