Dump thread for Weapon improvement ideas

Jobber.6348

22 minutes ago, Jobber.6348 said:

Or a Line/Cone shaped blast of energy that just cleaves all your allies. Maybe make it Blind enemies too. Call it Flash of Brilliance

Now that would be really cool. 

Sorry had to think about this suddenly  because the blinding light😂

Sword 4 and 5 used to be faster

Sword 3 used to do enough damage to be used in a rotation

That was early on in HoT, but people were crying in PvP because instead of learning to fight against the class they just wanted it crushed & nerfed, while mesmer exists. So that's why you still have slow skills on sword, because some pvp players were not happy about it, so in Anet fashion they nerfed the weaponskills in every mode for no reason outside of a few crybabies in the forum.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, Jobber.6348 said:

Or a Line/Cone shaped blast of energy that just cleaves all your allies. Maybe make it Blind enemies too. Call it Flash of Brilliance

Now that would be really cool. 

i do think they should keep it an aoe, but more like centered around the herald...like all facets too. Cones are more of a fb thing, but everything is better than a projectile

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Virdo.1540 said:

i do think they should keep it an aoe, but more like centered around the herald...like all facets too. Cones are more of a fb thing, but everything is better than a projectile

Was thinking of ranged healing on Revenant that isn't tablet. Revenant the only healer that can't heal beyond 600 range without pulling tablet away from your core group. Would be fixed if Centaur would pulse its skills around Player and Tablet, you know like Scourge Shades. (Anet hint hint)

I absolutely do not believe "it's an fb thing" cos if it works it works. QoL exclusivity is just nonsensical from a balance standpoint when a skill can work better.

Edited by Jobber.6348
  • Confused 2

• 2 weeks later...

With the release of Spear, I'm pleased to say it has been a largely good Condi weapon. Power weapon wise, it is rather wanting, but not unserviceable. I would like to put some suggestions out to iron out certain gameplay and quality quirks. 

Spear 1: 

I believe that the melee animation is needlessly long with its aftercast, but sped up due to slowness feedback. However, what happened to Spear 1 Ranged form is not really that much of an improvement from beta. Speed up the aftercast of Spear 1 ranged and change Melee animation from a swing into a Jab and I feel like it would transition beautifully from melee to ranged combat as intended. 

Spear 3: 

This skill is very inconsistent. Sometimes you get 3 mines, sometimes you get 2. If you dash around edges, you actually leave mines stacked at the hitbox of the corner. Arming time is understandable to provide counterplay but I would like to suggest a recast of the skill to make this skill much better. 

Abyssal Blitz recast

Available after 1 second. Recall mines within 900 range toward you, exploding on collision with the player in an AoE around them. Can collide with enemy entities and explode before reaching the Revenant. 

Additionally, this skill needs to be pegged as a movement skill for the purpose of Aggressive Agility. 

Spear 5: 

As expected, Crushing Abyss and Abyssal Raze did not receive any mechanical changes. That is understandable as Anet wishes to keep this Area damaging part of the weapon's identity. I would however like to suggest tweaks to make the skill more satisfying to use, especially regarding Crushing Abyss.

Abyssal Raze/Crushing Abyss

Now triggers an Abyssal Raze at-level as long as you have 1 stack of Crushing Abyss. Now triggers this interaction when you Legend swap as well as swapping a weapon. 

Now it should allow the player to "cash out" on Crushing Abyss without needing to necessarily swap out of Spear, requiring a Legend Swap instead. Also allows non-max stack Crushing Abyss to trigger weaker Abyssal Razes. But this also adds a layer of stack management for the player as they need to be aware of their stacks if they wish to exit their legend and consume the Raze. 

On 8/23/2024 at 11:03 AM, Jobber.6348 said:

As expected, Crushing Abyss and Abyssal Raze did not receive any mechanical changes. That is understandable as Anet wishes to keep this Area damaging part of the weapon's identity. I would however like to suggest tweaks to make the skill more satisfying to use, especially regarding Crushing Abyss.

Maybe instead of having to spam it they should change it to one big AoE field that last long (for example 10s) that pulse Abyssal Raze from time to time (for example every 2 sek). Additional mechanic may be ability to recast it one time with will relocate filed. This way we can use other skills to keep enemies inside this field instant spamming it.

Spamming this skill is annoying and what more it also required to keep track of stack number, time whole thing last and using other weapon skill to make sure we have what to spam. 
Especially that most Revenant builds already requires keeping track of resources, upkeep skills and swapping legends and weapons.

Edited by Malv.3065

5 hours ago, Malv.3065 said:

Maybe instead of having to spam it they should change it to one big AoE field that last long (for example 10s) that pulse Abyssal Raze from time to time (for example every 2 sek). Additional mechanic may be ability to recast it one time with will relocate filed. This way we can use other skills to keep enemies inside this field instant spamming it.

Spamming this skill is annoying and what more it also required to keep track of stack number, time whole thing last and using other weapon skill to make sure we have what to spam. 
Especially that most Revenant builds already requires keeping track of resources, upkeep skills and swapping legends and weapons.

nope. targets that move and get out of it makes that a very big damage lose. there are targets in pve even that move out of it, then I am not even speaking about competitive which would make it then a dead skill.

It's a little bit different playstyle currently with it more and I think that's okay, not everything needs to feel the same

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, arazoth.7290 said:

nope. targets that move and get out of it makes that a very big damage lose. there are targets in pve even that move out of it, then I am not even speaking about competitive which would make it then a dead skill.

It's a little bit different playstyle currently with it more and I think that's okay, not everything needs to feel the same

This is why I say that on recast You can reposition AoE. Also You will have all other Revenant skills to keep enemy in AoE as long as possible. 
Current skill also is dmg lose. Its hard to land and keep on max stack, especiali with all other Revenant skill that You need to use to max dps. 

I don't mind different playstyle, but current spear feel chaotic and focus only on spamming skill 5. 

• Like 1

Anyways my EU account doesn't have SotO or JW so no weapon mastery or spears

Shortbow and Staff are AWFUL feeling now that we've had the chance to taste spear, mace/shield, sword/shield, greatsword, whatever else
They have no purpose or worthwhile reason to play them in competitive.

There's a handful of weapons out there across the classes that have been made largely obsolete or awful via the past two expacs, and that's lame.
Time to do a pass over ALL of them, not just whatever's currently the meta.

• Like 3

On 8/27/2024 at 4:50 PM, Shagie.7612 said:

Anyways my EU account doesn't have SotO or JW so no weapon mastery or spears

Shortbow and Staff are AWFUL feeling now that we've had the chance to taste spear, mace/shield, sword/shield, greatsword, whatever else
They have no purpose or worthwhile reason to play them in competitive.

There's a handful of weapons out there across the classes that have been made largely obsolete or awful via the past two expacs, and that's lame.
Time to do a pass over ALL of them, not just whatever's currently the meta.

The ones that need the most attention at the moment is:

- Scepter

- Axe 

- Shield 

- Offhand Sword 

Make these 4 solid so that everyone can have some options to play around with. 

Sceptre - Skill 1 I don't see the point of just 2 of power and low damage, when for example the thief's sceptre always gives a barrier on skill 1, which is also quite slow. Skills 2 and 3 are too hard to use. Skill 2 also has such low degat that it takes a long time to use. Skill 3 Buff is good for power and fury, but too annoying and time-consuming to use, and on mobs it's an infamous piece of crap. If you want CC, you have to plan 3 hours in advance.
If you look closely, they've reproduced the same thing with the elementalist spear, except that it's probably better to use it, but I haven't really tested it, just in relation to the wiki.

Axe - Skill 4, before at least it was used for CC or slowing down.

Staff - The delay on skill 2 to grant healing.

Sword - Skills for 2 and 3 to stop attacking supply in WvW.

Shortbow - Correction to competence 2 that doesn't work on certain elements as if this competence couldn't hit.

GS - The distance of competence 3, either as written or corrected for 900 range.

Spear - As the spear is likely to be nerfed, I'd like to see skill 5 remove the slight delay after the skill is applied to set the buff - there's already the casting time and if the area could be slightly larger as its buff only increases by one if it hits several targets.

• 2 weeks later...

take the damage off staff 3 cause it feels awful getting hit with shocking aura because of it

actually there's a bunch of skills (like lightning reflexes on ranger for example) that do completely insignificant damage but have to deal with that and it's dumb

47 minutes ago, Shagie.7612 said:

take the damage off staff 3 cause it feels awful getting hit with shocking aura because of it

actually there's a bunch of skills (like lightning reflexes on ranger for example) that do completely insignificant damage but have to deal with that and it's dumb

This so much, but I feel this is more due to Shock Aura being extremely unfun to play into. Some builds can just cough out shock auras and playing against them always feels bad, no matter what you play. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Scepter improvement suggestions/requests:

Animation:

Two skills of Scepter could use a little QoL, especially for the sake of readability and quality. The two skills are Scepter auto chain, and Scepter 2. 

Scepter auto chain's large rod of energy helps the player gauge the 300 attack range but as a result becomes extremely obstructive as a skill effect. A suggestion is to reduce the thickness of the energy rod and make it a thin red line slicing across the swing. This will vastly improve its visual effect not only so that it no longer obscures the screen but also gives the attack a more stylish finish. 

Scepter 2's blossom while helps convey the effect of a pulsing skill, its particle effects are visually noisy and intrusive. Further more, there is no clear range indicator as with skills like this which show where the final explosion range is for its barrier effect. A suggestion here is to add a rough circular AoE indicator for its explosion range and to reduce its visual brightness a little bit and turn the blossoming particle effect into an Aura circle underneath the target's feet. 

Skill suggestion:

The Ally targeting feature is still rather clunky and further more, the skill expression of Scepter 2 and 3 do not feel particularly effective when used against enemies. Here are some suggestions.

Scepter 2 could be turned into a self casted skill which blossoms on the caster, pulsing damage and small barrier in a 300 AoE around the player. The skill then explodes for a larger Barrier and Damage. This eliminates the need for player targeting of its effect.

Scepter 3 could have its effects reversed to give it more agency as a skill that the player either channels to its full potential or prematurely end it for its teleport/pull effect. Upon casting on its target, the tether is establish and the flip skill, Otherwordly Bond is enabled after 1s. If the player lets the tether channel, it inflicts increasingly more conditions on its enemy or gradually builds up more barrier and boons on an ally. When the skill fully channels, the flip skill is automatically casted and the tether ends its channel.