How to acquire the fishing skill?

Hello everyone. I have been enjoying this game.

I have spent several hours over the past two days trying to figure out how to acquire the fishing skill. I have watched videos and read articles. People explain how to fish once you acquire the skill, but I can't find a detailed walkthrough on how exactly to acquire the skill itself for the first time.

Would someone around here please kindly spell it out? Is there a minimum level? My one character is under level 30 at the time of this writing. Where exactly do I go to acquire the fishing skill? I do have the End of Dragons expansion. Is there some kind of fishing trainer where I simply walk up to the NPC, talk to him or her, then train fishing on the spot without any prerequisites?

Thank you for reading.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

I've already read that article. How do you start the first chapter titled "Old Friends"? Where exactly is Gorrik? I couldn't find Gorrik in Lornar's Pass.

I'm a newbie of this game, so a lot of things are currently not clear to me.

Edited by Soulfire.8274
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

34 minutes ago, Soulfire.8274 said:

I've already read that article. How do you start the first chapter titled "Old Friends"? Where exactly is Gorrik? I couldn't find Gorrik in Lornar's Pass.

I'm a newbie of this game, so a lot of things are currently not clear to me.

To unlock fishing you have to have at least one level 80 character and own the End of Dragons expansion. If you have both of those things, then you can start the End of Dragons expansion story by going to your Hero Panel (press H), and click on the Story Journal tab on the lefthand side (the star-shaped symbol). Then find and click on End of Dragons in the list, and then choose to start the story. Once you've finished the first two parts (0. Convergence and 1. Old Friends), you'll unlock fishing.

Keep in mind that if you care about experiencing the story chronologically, you might not want to do that. But if that doesn't matter to you, then go right ahead, and have fun fishing!

Edit: And once you start the story, you'll get in-game mail and big green stars on the maps to show you where you'll need to go.

Edited by RoseofGilead.8907
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Soulfire.8274 said:

How do you start the first chapter titled "Old Friends"

This is something that can only be done on a level 80 hero and only if you have purchased the End of Dragons expansion.

1. Login and start a game with a level 80 hero.
  2. Open the Hero panel
  3. Click the Story Journal tab
  4. Click on End of Dragons category
  5. Click the Start Story button.
  6. The first chapter is actually "chapter 0 Convergence" and you have to complete that before you start "chapter 1. Old Friends".
  7. After finishing Chapter 1.  Old Friends, open the Hero panel again
  8. Select the Equipment tab where you have the various categories of Equipment, Wardrobe, Outfit, etc... and Fishing.
  9. Click Fishing
  10. You automatically get a basic Bamboo Fishing Rod (no extra fishing power) by completing Chapter 1.
  11. You equip the Fishing Rod.
  12. You can also equip a Lure and Bait to increase your fishing power which makes fishing easier.
  13. Close the Hero Panel

Now you can fish.  Fishing is part of your "mastery skills" which are all accessible by right-clicking a small button to the immediate left of your weapon skills and just below the weapon swap button.  You must be standing next to or in water (but not swimming!) to start fishing.

If the End of Dragons expansion is not visible or locked, you have not purchased the expansion yet.  Or you're not on a level 80 hero.

• Thanks 1

Do keep in mind fishing was a feature of End of Dragons alongside boats which accompany it. Starting it with the above steps will mean starting very late on a continuously evolving story. Which means spoilers for what came before. And skipping straight to an endgame area may add in further complications like harder mobs, new mechanics, the mastery system (which fishing is tied to)

• Like 4

Also you will need to play EOD at least to an extent to be able to fish effectively on most maps. 

The easiest fishing is in EOD maps. For everywhere else you will need masteries, lures, baits, fishing food.

Truth be told if youre new to the game there are many many other more fun things to discover before fishing.

• Like 2

Thank you so much for the detailed responses! All the detailed information was exactly what I was looking for.

I'm quite surprised that in this game you have to achieve maximum level first in order to take on a basic side skill like fishing. Looks like I have at least 50 more levels to go. Hoping that I will have a lot of fun along the way.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

43 minutes ago, Soulfire.8274 said:

Thank you so much for the detailed responses! All the detailed information was exactly what I was looking for.

I'm quite surprised that in this game you have to achieve maximum level first in order to take on a basic side skill like fishing. Looks like I have at least 50 more levels to go. Hoping that I will have a lot of fun along the way.

In a way I agree especially as fishing links a lot the DLCs and expansions and core together as you go from place to place to catch fish (ironically it seems harder in some of the earlier maps from places like Season 3). However, it was a late addition to the game and made to link the new boats mechanic into the overall flavour of Cantha. As a result, you need to level it with experience and mastery points ( I wont get into that system here since you aren't level 80)

Whilst I understand wanting to get involved in fishing, it's full potential requires a fair bit of levelling and other gains from End of Dragons. I would highly recommend playing the game through core to level 80 and working through the paid Living World Seasons and expansions to get the most out of the game. If you don't care about story it prob wont matter too much though. If you do, well don't rush to EoD

• Like 1