Reporting players for botting still does nothing?

Lately I was returning to Paoth of Fire and Season 4 of Living Story to do some old content for achi I missed for years.

When I was doing events and gathering on those maps I noticed that especially on Sandswept Isles are necro bots accounts sitting 24/7 in corners under Invariant Enclave and farming map currency. Like for real! After doing 5 minutes limitations for kicking players for being AFK during combat, they hide under rocks and still farm but using bots?!

I reported those players at monday, today is saturday and they are still there farming. System of banning AFK bot leeches has still more holes than Swiss Cheese.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

So how do you know they're bots?

When none of those players reponds you for 25 minutes (which I wasted observing them) in 5 languages (thx uncle Google), on question "Are you online or not?", while every 2 minutes turning on exact 90 degrees I can assume they are bots.

Edited by swgs.6195
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

Discord exists.  They may be having impassioned conversation that you cannot see or hear.  They could be using guild, squad, or party chat; you can't see those either.  Just because they ignore strangers doesn't mean that they are afk.

Besides Anet is doing something about the bots, it just isn't an instant solution.  The 5 minute timer for battle inactivity is a first step. I think they are being very cautious about creating a lasting automated solution to bots.  The Anet's bot-killing-bot is probably going to need a framework in place to prevent it from banning people who are not actually using bots.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, swgs.6195 said:

When none of those players reponds you for 25 minutes (which I wasted observing them) in 5 languages (thx uncle Google), on question "Are you online or not?", while every 2 minutes turning on exact 90 degrees I can assume they are bots.

While I think the people you're referring to probably are doing something they shouldn't be doing, a player not responding to a message doesn't really mean anything. I've lost count of the number of groups I've been in where people just flat out ignore all chat. It's common behavior.

Also, bot reports will never give you an immediate action or response. They investigate the reports first.

Edited by RoseofGilead.8907
  • Like 3

It's been pointed out before but I think the five-minute timer was created to force ppls to use macros to get around it, bc macros are easier to detect. But that doesn't mean anet has swarms of ppls pouring over mounds of data looking for macros. I'd imagine they're collecting info and we'll see a mass ban wave at some point . . .

• Like 1