Spear damage

Exzen.2976

Better stick with scepter/focus forever, or just straight up reroll to different class if you intend to play in zerg xD And remember we represent the class that Anet today has favoritism towards, or whatever...

Edited by Codename T.2847
  • Like 3

You all must be incredibly skilled players. As for me, the spear is insanely strong and ridiculously fun. I guess the key to enjoying anything is to be a little bit of a fool sometimes.

I LOVE THIS DAMAGE SPEAR.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 1

Don't get me wrong. It's fun to play and I love the animations. Just completely lacks the impact needed to be viable. The dmg needed to be SOOOOO much higher to be usable in wvw or high end play anywhere. Can confirm after playing it in wvw that it is unusable. Trash weapon. Beautiful trash. But trash none-the-less. Such a shame, I was hyped. Wish I could get my money back tbh... I don't like to bash the devs, but how the balance team thought this was OK is beyond me.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

They also didn't touch the god awful weaver skills so the weapon is basically trolling on weaver in all game modes. I'm hoping they plan to replace the skills with real skills that actually do something, but i doubt it'll happen.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Codename T.2847 said:

Better stick with scepter/focus forever, or just straight up reroll to different class if you intend to play in zerg xD And remember we represent the class that Anet today has favoritism towards, or whatever...

D/d best zerg set, also best everything set as it's most fun

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Codename T.2847 said:

Ah shiet, I thought you meant in the realm of damagedealers

It's support but it plays more like DPS, you're main job is cleansing so it's just popping out and transmuting auras as you go. You'll fight right on top of tag just dropping a little back for the odd water 2

I think the main reason spear feels weak is that volcano's damage is delayed compared to the animation. Volcano doesn't actually start doing damage until the spewing rocks hit something. There's this massive blast when it first appears but it deals no damage whatsoever. The spewing rocks having the same damage reduction system as meteor shower doesn't help.

Volcano should do a big impact on spawn, then minor damage with the spewing rocks. It's very odd that literally all other etchings deal more single-hit damage than volcano, as they all only hit once.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

ANet played it way too safe with Ele Spear buffs, and it's still EXTREMELY weak.

It still needs some MAJOR number tune-ups. Quite a few of its skills do quite literally zero damage and its other skills have to carry the weight because of it. The 2, 4 and 5 skills in literally every element need cataclysmically obscene number tune-ups to carry the fact that NONE of its 3 skills do any damage whatsoever.

A fully offensive, glass cannon weapon shouldn't be struggling to reach 30k damage on a target dummy under any circumstances whatsoever.

• Like 11
  • Confused 1

Yes, it's clear from the design of this weapon is should be ele's highest direct damage weapon, ignoring elite spec mechanics. 

The spear has very little control effects, very little sustain, very little defense. It also restricts itself in mobility, with it's etching system. 

The only benefit to this weapon is the range and damage. It needs to chunk hard. 

I've only tested it in open world, and from a design perspective, it's awesome. It should open up new territory for elementalist, because it gives up so much to achieve it's goal. It should allow the devs to buff it to very high levels of damage.

I'm glad they held it back with the restrictions they gave it, but it has to counterbalance with hefty damage. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

I don’t know if I’m missing something here, but I was goofing around on my berserker set last night with an exotic spear and hit over 17k damage in a single hit (a crit Air #5 fully charged etching). Yes, the sustained DPS is so far less than what I have seen from my meta power tempest DPS build, but are other people routinely getting hits that high on their other builds? Because that seems really high to me. 

• Confused 3

1 hour ago, rwknoll.7824 said:

I don’t know if I’m missing something here, but I was goofing around on my berserker set last night with an exotic spear and hit over 17k damage in a single hit (a crit Air #5 fully charged etching). Yes, the sustained DPS is so far less than what I have seen from my meta power tempest DPS build, but are other people routinely getting hits that high on their other builds? Because that seems really high to me. 

No, that doesn't seem particularly note worthy to me at all. Playing open world solo, with the snow crows ptempest setup, I regularly hit between 23K and 30K with Water Trident. Slightly smaller but similar numbers with dragons tooth.

• Like 3

I understand that this post started being about wvw... But Fresh air spear power tempest is hitting 45.2k. i haven't tested it myself, but i am certain I can easily cross 30k in a dummy... Spear is fine for pve. I don't really think it was meant to be a pvp or wvw weapon anyways, but maybe they'll tweak some stuff and make it more viable. If you want to use spear, stay away from weaver. Fire wizard time.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

A fully offensive, glass cannon weapon shouldn't be struggling to reach 30k damage on a target dummy under any circumstances whatsoever.

FA spear power tempest is up to 45k, BttH spear power tempest is up to 42k, Spear power catalyst is up to 43k... Just swap your spec if you want to play spear. Weaver is a bit of a meme on spear right now, but i don't think every spec should be great with every weapon so i feel like thats ok. 

Edited by wgpa.5047
Adding quote
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, wgpa.5047 said:

FA spear power tempest is up to 45k, BttH spear power tempest is up to 42k, Spear power catalyst is up to 43k... Just swap your spec if you want to play spear. Weaver is a bit of a meme on spear right now, but i don't think every spec should be great with every weapon so i feel like thats ok. 

I think weaver with spear is better in wvw/spvp due to the def side of the duel skills. Still worth testing.

17 hours ago, wgpa.5047 said:

Weaver is a bit of a meme on spear right now, but i don't think every spec should be great with every weapon so i feel like thats ok.

If there was a weapon to highlight Weaver, it should have been this one.

Weaver hasn't gotten a great weapon choice since Sword. Our last two weapons, Hammer and Pistol, don't have great functionality on Weaver. Condi Pistol Weaver benches fine, but it's pretty terrible to play.

• Like 2

On 8/20/2024 at 5:10 PM, tykel.6073 said:

They also didn't touch the god awful weaver skills so the weapon is basically trolling on weaver in all game modes. I'm hoping they plan to replace the skills with real skills that actually do something, but i doubt it'll happen.

Weaver Spear is basically just core with extra steps

• Like 2