Warclaw , Skyscale conflicting mount ability keybindings

As the title, looking through Forums there's literally 1000's of posts concerning this exact issue, it seems if you set mount ability key binds 1 and 2 for one mount it completely breaks the other mount and vice versa,  I have got through the game this past week by having to actually mouse click mount ability's which is obviously far from ideal and surly not how it is intended to work. 

I have tried everything to resolve this issue to the point of completely deleting the game and all associated files from my system and re-downloading it all fresh install, which was fun took overnight to complete......and the issue is still there, even installed my SSD into another system, my wife's and its still the same.

Now I have not seen one dev actually reply to any of the 1000's of posts on the forums but I am quite sure this issue is clearly the game itself

So has anybody actually found a fix, workaround or any info on what the actual issue is and what causes it ? is it a bug ? are ANET actually aware and trying to do anything about it ?

• Like 5
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

It's something to do with overlap between mount skills and weapon skills? Anet are fully aware and think you should be playing with their keybinds, because the ones that are easiest for you to use / make the most sense to you are WRONG. How they think this impacts disabled players is anyone's guess. The ideal solution would be to allow us to set keybinds on a per-mount basis; my current solution is ever more complex keybind combos, then giving up and just using the engage skill, followed by actual weapon skills I can set properly. As you can imagine, the warclaw mastery line is not a priority!

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Mogsterfortytwo.6712 said:

It's something to do with overlap between mount skills and weapon skills? Anet are fully aware and think you should be playing with their keybinds, because the ones that are easiest for you to use / make the most sense to you are WRONG. How they think this impacts disabled players is anyone's guess. The ideal solution would be to allow us to set keybinds on a per-mount basis; my current solution is ever more complex keybind combos, then giving up and just using the engage skill, followed by actual weapon skills I can set properly. As you can imagine, the warclaw mastery line is not a priority!

Thank you, ANET's philosophy is BS as it happens I am disabled I lost a finger on my left hand in a work accident 30 years ago, so my actual available key bind real estate with my left hand that is easily reachable is slightly less than most players,

TBH it is quite a big issue this is not just "gameplay" this is very basic control of characters in the game it should work and be customizable JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER GAME. It all was fine in SOTO, skyscale  worked perfect its all since Janthir and the new WARCLAW.

Not impressed is this is true,  I am going to send a ticket to Customer Support and if they say the same I want my money returned for the expansions and if they want to play funny I will get my card company involved

Edited by Bowdidly.7401
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Mogsterfortytwo.6712 said:

To add how can this be intentional if when I set mount ability binds for Skyscale then some of the Warclaw ability's do not work ......and if I set Warclaw mount ability's then some of the Skyscale ability's do not work...... that's never intentional that's BROKEN.  Having to manually mouse click abilitys on the action bar depending on which mount you are using is just absolute terrible design and implementation

Edited by Bowdidly.7401
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Bowdidly.7401 said:

So has anybody actually found a fix, workaround or any info on what the actual issue is and what causes it ? is it a bug ?

It is a bug that also manifests itself in the fact that the mappings of mount skills and weapon skills (e.g. mount special skill 2 and weapon skill 4, among others) get in each other's way as soon as you deviate from the default mappings. Although technically this shouldn't have happened, because when the mount skills are active, the weapon skills are inactive (and their mappings could then have been inactive too).

When the mounts were introduced, the underlying system was not changed correctly. And mount skills were not always implemented consistently. Later, the errors only affected a small group of players that could be ignored, and now the effort seems to be so high that Anet doesn't even confirm (or deny) that there is an error and apparently wants to wait it out.

Anet has confirmed countless times that the devs read the forum even if they don't respond. So the errors are known to Anet. 

EDIT: One thing Anet confirmed to have changed intentionally (even if it is bad): the Warclaw's dash was changed from the space button to the dodge button, making it inconsistent with other mounts (e.g. Raptor leap forward).

Edited by Zok.4956
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)

Thanks, so it is a known "bug" and ANET choose to ignore it  , because I could not find any confirmation of this I primarily assumed it was due to something on my end hence 4 days of pulling my hair out, repairing game files, deleting , re-downloading the game, removing SSD's and installing on another system . 

Anyways,  Customer support ticket submitted, lets see what they say and we'll take it from there, because this sh*t is broken which ever way you look at it.

Edited by Bowdidly.7401
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)

Well after 2 hours of head scratching I have compiled a script that makes both Skyscale and Warclaw  work using the bind settings I have for "normal" 1 though 5 weapon skill butons and completely negates the games lock out of buttons depending on which mount you are using everything works perfect , Although now reading the TOS and specifically  ANETS  policy on Macro use has this will also run in WvW  it would break some TOS policy's.  I need to contact Customer Support and get a actual confirmation from ANET whether I am allowed to use it or not.

Obviously the actual fix is for ANET to fix what is a confliction in their game coding  concerning mount ability bindings, such an easy fix for them and should have been done right in the first place

Edited by Bowdidly.7401
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

This could be solved in a minimalistic way if they would just assign the Warclaw Chain pull to Mount Ability 2 in the UI. The Warclaw has two ability skills, but it does not have the interface to allow the user to assign key binds to them. This would make this just ok, and useable. This would at a minimum allow that chain pull to be assigned to (for me keyboard 5) while allowing the leap to remain on keyboard as well (for me keyboard 3). This combination works well on all other mounts with no need for the space bar.

If this were done correctly each mount would be listed in the UI with its skills and the user could assign them to whatever makes the most sense. I love the extra mount abilities, but not at the cost of applying 2 mount ability skills and ALL of the mounts break when I fix one. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Maryth.9372 said:

This could be solved in a minimalistic way if they would just assign the Warclaw Chain pull to Mount Ability 2 in the UI. The Warclaw has two ability skills, but it does not have the interface to allow the user to assign key binds to them. This would make this just ok, and useable. This would at a minimum allow that chain pull to be assigned to (for me keyboard 5) while allowing the leap to remain on keyboard as well (for me keyboard 3). This combination works well on all other mounts with no need for the space bar.

If this were done correctly each mount would be listed in the UI with its skills and the user could assign them to whatever makes the most sense. I love the extra mount abilities, but not at the cost of applying 2 mount ability skills and ALL of the mounts break when I fix one. 

I completely agree, the Warclaw new ability's were coded into the game with a complete lack of forethought and  have consequentially broken so much of what is basic gameplay control

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Rumpus.1234 said:

The busted keybinds and frequent use of chain pull in JW have turned me into an ability mouse clicker.

Shame and sadness!

Same here I've completed the story on 2 characters up to now clicking ability's, its not good, which is why I've been spending so much time to try and find out why the issue exists in the first place, shame this is the only issue i have with Janthir wilds expansion

Easy fix is to bind "mount ability 2" to the same key you have "Dodge" bound to, this does not affect Dodge when not mounted that still works fine but it will also make action button 4 while on Skyscale or Skimmer be same as the new  mount ability 2 bind (Dodge bind but when mounted)

I also have "mount ability 1" bound to the same key i have for weapon ability "5" and it ALL works fine, This makes all your mount binds the same as weapon skill binds when not mounted, except when mounted button "4" will be the same as "Dodge" and both Warclaw chain lance and lance work as they should with buttons 3 and 4

What confused me for days was ANET  have "mount ability 2" use action button "4" and "mount ability 1" use action button "5" , logically you would assume the other way round.

ANET have coded default binds for weapons from left to right 1-2-3-4-5 (which is how logically you would expect it)  while for mounts for some strange obnoxious reason (Skyscale and Skimmer) it is 1-2-3-mount ability 2- mount ability 1  and Warclaw its 1-2-3-4-mount ability 1

Edited by Bowdidly.7401
  • Like 3

Same problem. I can use my most of my warclaws abilities, but the Lance is broken. I have the keybind on q for weapon 4. Makes a lot of the warclaw content where you need lance in Janthir, basically impossible. Would have to rebind my keys with 12 years of muscle memory. F that in the A.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Bowdidly.7401 said:

Thank you, ANET's philosophy is BS as it happens I am disabled I lost a finger on my left hand in a work accident 30 years ago, so my actual available key bind real estate with my left hand that is easily reachable is slightly less than most players,

TBH it is quite a big issue this is not just "gameplay" this is very basic control of characters in the game it should work and be customizable JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER GAME. It all was fine in SOTO, skyscale  worked perfect its all since Janthir and the new WARCLAW.

Not impressed is this is true,  I am going to send a ticket to Customer Support and if they say the same I want my money returned for the expansions and if they want to play funny I will get my card company involved

Yeah I work in accessibility, so notice these things. I first noticed the problem with the skiff, and only recently added awkward binds for the (normally) 2 and 3 skills. The skyscale became a problem in SotO when the fireball skill wanted to use the key I had for 'fly down' and now I've had to unbind 'swim down', because it shared a binding with my springer hotkey, because warclaw? Apart from that that sounds crazy, mount skills fit in the 1-5; why wouldn't they just use the associated weapon keybinds? I actually couldn't tell you most of my warclaw binds - they're stupid stuff like shift mouse 9 😵

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, Mogsterfortytwo.6712 said:

Yeah I work in accessibility, so notice these things. I first noticed the problem with the skiff, and only recently added awkward binds for the (normally) 2 and 3 skills. The skyscale became a problem in SotO when the fireball skill wanted to use the key I had for 'fly down' and now I've had to unbind 'swim down', because it shared a binding with my springer hotkey, because warclaw? Apart from that that sounds crazy, mount skills fit in the 1-5; why wouldn't they just use the associated weapon keybinds? I actually couldn't tell you most of my warclaw binds - they're stupid stuff like shift mouse 9 😵

Another one of the problems is most issue are cause by "ANET"  complete lack of though and forethought concerning  key binds especially the mount binds first huge issue they made was NOT making all mounts ability's use the same keys for the same ability, like you said not all mounts use the same key for "up" , "down" same as Raptor " space bar" leaps it forward,   while leap forward on Warclaw is action button "5"  there are loads more set key conflicts between each mount and the Siff too, Its a complete mess and was all coded very very poorly indeed.

when it comes to accessibility I have had issues in some games with too many key binds which TBH is down to me, I don't like using too many Shift+, Alt+ and Ctrl+ key binds I am 60 years old  and TBH I can not type, I am a one finger at a time typer  🤣 

I was never taught to type at school, when I left school at 16 in 1982 there was no Computer's, schools only had Typing classes for girls for secretarial work , I was 30+ before i ever saw or got my own PC which was in the late 1990's  so the ability to type was never a thing, it was only ever taught to Girls at school and never boys. However that said most games follow pretty standard and logical layouts for Keybinding and having played online MMORPGS for over 20 years certain key memory has become second nature, I played very hardcore mythic  raiding in WoW very successfully with many server firsts for over 10 years without any major issues  But with GW2 the way the keybinding system has been coded for mounts and the fact that mounts are an integral part of game mechanics and combat plus the fact that you can not move ability's around on the action bars was not thought out very well and is like something from the dark ages. 

Just being able to move abilitys on the weapon action bar would be a HUGE  QOL and step forward and game changing for the better for most players, you can move things on the right action bat but not the left one, why not ?

Edited by Bowdidly.7401
  • Like 2

It really is a big issue. I'm having the same troubles. I can't fly up on my skyscale properly unless I swap out another keybind for 'space' - which I do not want to do, because I'm used to using the spacebar for both flying up on my skyscale, jumping up and down on other various mounts, and leaping forward on my warclaw. Right now it's a 'either-or' scenario, where something has to be sacrificed in order for things to work properly, but I don't want to subscribe to that by having to change my keybinds all because of something messing up keybinds that are doubled up for various actions.

It was fine BEFORE Janthir Wilds came out - as soon as Janthir Wilds was released, the double keybinds became an issue, and I for one shouldn't (and won't) change my keybinds just because of this bug.

I'm surprised it hasn't been fixed by now, it's been a week and no change. Mounts are used ALL the time, and having the right keybinds for each individual's needs is vital for ease of gameplay and convenience. It's certainly hindering my enjoyment of the game.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Zaoda.1653 said:

It really is a big issue. I'm having the same troubles. I can't fly up on my skyscale properly unless I swap out another keybind for 'space' - which I do not want to do, because I'm used to using the spacebar for both flying up on my skyscale, jumping up and down on other various mounts, and leaping forward on my warclaw. Right now it's a 'either-or' scenario, where something has to be sacrificed in order for things to work properly, but I don't want to subscribe to that by having to change my keybinds all because of something messing up keybinds that are doubled up for various actions.

It was fine BEFORE Janthir Wilds came out - as soon as Janthir Wilds was released, the double keybinds became an issue, and I for one shouldn't (and won't) change my keybinds just because of this bug.

I'm surprised it hasn't been fixed by now, it's been a week and no change. Mounts are used ALL the time, and having the right keybinds for each individual's needs is vital for ease of gameplay and convenience. It's certainly hindering my enjoyment of the game.

I sent a ticket into Customer Support  a couple of days ago explaining the whole situation including the  fact there are 1000's of posts on the forums concerning the very same issue

Today I got a reply from my ticket, In short it said  "Members from the Dev team regularly look through the forums so post,ask or look on the forums for help or a fix" , and THAT was it !!!!!!!   not ONE word about the issue/bug which was the whole reason for the ticket 👿   NOT what I was expecting and a complete waste of time.

There is also the issue that if you change your key binds now just to get by and  If or when they fix what clearly is a bug in the coding after a fix you would have to change key binds again 👿

Edited by Bowdidly.7401
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

I actually just made a suggestion related to this topic in the discussion forms about maybe making all mounts have their own keybind section in options so they can stop conflicting with each other. I think it would be the easiest way to fix keybinds for mounts.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tankun.3907 said:

I actually just made a suggestion related to this topic in the discussion forms about maybe making all mounts have their own keybind section in options so they can stop conflicting with each other. I think it would be the easiest way to fix keybinds for mounts.

I agree, that should already be available anyways like it is for weapons, that would also fix the issue of different mounts using different buttons for jump, leap, dive etc, which is another issue with the obnoxious  convoluted  and confusing mount ability system in the game even more so since Janthir launch now Mounts and there ability's are required for combat mechanics of numerous new encounters and even open world events, they've actually put content in the game that many literally can't do because of this issue

Edited by Bowdidly.7401
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

There are a lot of different things that are annoying about this, but the biggest and most impactful problem is that some mount skills use your weapon skill keybinds, and other mount skills use the Mount 1 and Mount 2 keybinds, and if you are forced to set them to the same keys, then your weapon skill keybinds don't work. I made a post on Reddit about this last week with a diagram. 

https://www.reddit.com/media?url=https%3A%2F%2Fi.redd.it%2Fzmla0sx7oyjd1.png

The simplest solution to at least this "there are skills that are not possible for me to access" is for them to have all mount skills have separate keybind slots: e.g., Mount Ability 1 through Mount Ability 5; or to separate Mount Attack keybinds from Weapon keybinds, e.g.: Mount Attack 1 through Mount Attack 4 (or 5, even though no 5 currently exists) and then have the existing two be Mount Movement 1 and Mount Movement 2. 

Edited by Veron.8645
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Veron.8645 said:

There are a lot of different things that are annoying about this, but the biggest and most impactful problem is that some mount skills use your weapon skill keybinds, and other mount skills use the Mount 1 and Mount 2 keybinds, and if you are forced to set them to the same keys, then your weapon skill keybinds don't work. I made a post on Reddit about this last week with a diagram. 

https://www.reddit.com/media?url=https%3A%2F%2Fi.redd.it%2Fzmla0sx7oyjd1.png

The simplest solution to at least this "there are skills that are not possible for me to access" is for them to have all mount skills have separate keybind slots: e.g., Mount Ability 1 through Mount Ability 5; or to separate Mount Attack keybinds from Weapon keybinds, e.g.: Mount Attack 1 through Mount Attack 4 (or 5, even though no 5 currently exists) and then have the existing two be Mount Movement 1 and Mount Movement 2. 

well as for button "5" there's the "skiff" plus Warclaw uses all 1-5   what realy baffles me is why "mount ability 1" is action button "5" and "mount ability 2" is action button "4" that makes absolutely no sense at all, then you have the 4 button for Grifon- Climb, while same button for skyscale is Dive !!!!!! WTF. I mean com-on thats just terrible design, plus you need to remember all these different button for "9" mounts plus skiff

who ever designed and wrote the coding for the system clearly never checked it actually in game using all the content that uses the 1-5 action buttons,  all that coding needs to be completely re-wrote 

Edited by Bowdidly.7401

16 hours ago, Eloc Freidon.5692 said:

It has to do with some overlap keys. It's like how the 3rd skill flashes whenever you try digging with 2. It should work when they fix those skill issues.

It won't because it's been a problem for years (at least EoD launch) and whatever support say, devs do not read the forums for anything more than entertainment.