Homestead decorations - single player items - are priced like Guild Halls - collective items

Homestead decorations - single player items - are priced like Guild Halls - collective items  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Are Homesteads too expensive for a single player home?

• Yes
    • No

So most people knew Homesteads were going to be a huge gold sink - which is perfectly OK and healthy for the game imo. However, the drop rate of some items are really, really low causing their TP part to spike, with seeds and such easily going over 8g or even 50g in some cases. This is because part of the system was meant for guild halls which are at the very least and most often the effort of a handful of players.

I'd like to know feedback from others, whether you've also found some decorations to be unreasonably out of reach. As a proposal to Anet, it would be really nice if we had more "middle term" decorations (not everything has to be the Bed/Throne of Eternal Luster and Cats, with only 3 planks and a blanket as the alternative) with easier to find material requirements, even if at larger numbers. Increasing the drop rate ever so slightly of certain items or introducing more ways to acquire them would also go a long way to alleviating the TP prices. Of course, "just wait" is a possible response - but keep in mind the system is easily exploitable by TP barons if there's not enough ways for single players to acquire items with reasonable sink/effort.

• Thanks 1

Nah, it's just a demand thing, if they would use other materials more, those prices will just go up.
When Maguuma Lily's were "hot" in HoT, they were sold for way higher prices as well. 

Prices will drop again (I just refuse to make mushrooms, but I refused to for my GH before as well)

More decorations are coming with the updates/events, maybe there will be cheaper ones to make, but likely prices of materials will go up again 🙂

42 minutes ago, Elricht Kaltwind.8796 said:

As someone who once maxed out a Scribe and decorated an entire guild hall completely by myself without any support from my ten-person guild, trust me, it's literally like 1/100th the cost

As the primary decorator of a guild hall, I fully agree.  It's a fraction of the cost of the big guild hall items.  I was pleasantly surprised they were comparatively inexpensive.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Farohna.6247 said:

As the primary decorator of a guild hall, I fully agree.  It's a fraction of the cost of the big guild hall items.  I was pleasantly surprised they were comparatively inexpensive.  

I'm overjoyed that I never again have to look at all those scribing materials that require enormous lists of compounding base materials. Instead you just sacrifice your excess crafting materials into generic handiworker materials. In a way they're almost the exact opposite.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Elricht Kaltwind.8796 said:

I'm overjoyed that I never again have to look at all those scribing materials that require enormous lists of compounding base materials. Instead you just sacrifice your excess crafting materials into generic handiworker materials. In a way they're almost the exact opposite.

Lol was just crafting some guild decorations and was appreciating this very thing.  It is a tedious bunch of compounding.  I do enjoy the new decorating skills, i.e. rotating, scaling.   

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Elricht Kaltwind.8796 said:

As someone who once maxed out a Scribe and decorated an entire guild hall completely by myself without any support from my ten-person guild, trust me, it's literally like 1/100th the cost

Although, to be honest, the pricing on many GH decorations is so insane, it should hardly be considered a good point of reference.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

I'd say that if you compare the two together, scribing is obviously MUCH more expensive, but how much more so varies widely depending on individual items. Most homestead decor can be made really cheaply, but then there's items that require lumber cores, mushroom spores, etc which have such a low drop rate that they've spiked to insane prices. It makes me massively regret having sold mine on the TP waaaaay back because I thought they were just wasting space in my bank... But even then, I never saw more than 2 each, if that.

I totally agree that they should increase the drop rates on those by at least a little bit. I don't think it needs to be a huge adjustment, but enough that it doesn't take literal years to see even a single one drop. That rarity might've made sense back when it was just for very occasional guild crafting, but now that everybody and their cousin wants a few to craft some decor for their house, that supply is going to start depleting MUCH faster than it replenishes. I'd argue it already has, considering how many had to be sold for the prices to spike so high. There were easily thousands of those things sitting in the TP for a couple copper. So either a LOT of people snagged them at once, or some baron bought them all to resell at a huge profit.

In short my answer is: MOST handiworker crafting is fine as it is, but the ultra-rare drops could use some consideration before they're hundreds of gold per pop.