Possible way to bring more build diversity and customization into PvP

calva.2914

I’ve been thinking about this for a while and was wondering your guys thoughts on it. 

How would you all feel about an amulet where you can distribute that stats yourself. say each amulet can have 3000 points worth of stats but you can distribute it as you see fit. I feel like this could enable a lot more build diversity in PvP. 

Now before you all start screaming celestial, it would not work nearly the same as WvW. Celestial has more stats than the other options and would not be the case with this amulet. Some might be worried about Defense being too strong with it but they could say 2 points of Toughness = 1 point. Or they could say you can have a max of 500 toughness on the amulet. 

I feel like this could bring new life in to the rather stagnate PvP scene. What do you all think?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, calva.2914 said:

I’ve been thinking about this for a while and was wondering your guys thoughts on it. 

How would you all feel about an amulet where you can distribute that stats yourself. say each amulet can have 3000 points worth of stats but you can distribute it as you see fit. I feel like this could enable a lot more build diversity in PvP. 

Now before you all start screaming celestial, it would not work nearly the same as WvW. Celestial has more stats than the other options and would not be the case with this amulet. Some might be worried about Defense being too strong with it but they could say 2 points of Toughness = 1 point. Or they could say you can have a max of 500 toughness on the amulet. 

I feel like this could bring new life in to the rather stagnate PvP scene. What do you all think

It would be unbalanced.

For example 500 vitality, 1500 healing power, 1000 condition power. Would be real OP for pvp sake already.

Or full support => 2300 healing power, 350 vitality, 350 concentration ==> OP too. This can't even be done in pve leggy gear.

Another => 500 toughness, 500 vitality,  1000 expertise, 1000 condition => condition madness, if you thought some condi builds were insane, just wait

They would have to experiment a lot with this and trying to find the sweet caps where they limit stats that can be put in for certain stats. This would cost too much time to find the sweet spot for this all.

Edited by arazoth.7290

11 minutes ago, arazoth.7290 said:

It would be unbalanced.

For example 500 vitality, 1500 healing power, 1000 condition power. Would be real OP for pvp sake already.

Or full support => 2300 healing power, 350 vitality, 350 concentration ==> OP too. This can't even be done in pve leggy gear.

Another => 500 toughness, 500 vitality,  1000 expertise, 1000 condition => condition madness, if you thought some condi builds were insane, just wait

They would have to experiment a lot with this and trying to find the sweet caps where they limit stats that can be put in for certain stats. This would cost too much time to find the sweet spot for this all.

Could add a cap of 1000(or1200 I guess) as well and I’m pretty sure expertise isn’t in PvP anymore. Just keep it to the current PvP stats

Edited by calva.2914

6 minutes ago, calva.2914 said:

Could add a cap of 1000 as well and I’m pretty sure expertise isn’t in PvP anymore. Just keep it to the current PvP stats

Yeaa nah, some ammys work atm with right above 1000, like 1200.

Like I said, this would require too much brainstorming/testing years ect to get this balanced for them. I rather have them add a few more amulets back instead for pvp.

4 minutes ago, arazoth.7290 said:

Yeaa nah, some ammys work atm with right above 1000, like 1200.

Like I said, this would require too much brainstorming/testing years ect to get this balanced for them. I rather have them add a few more amulets back instead for pvp.

Idk I’m not a game designer but they have current amulets to base decisions for caps off of. I honestly don’t think it’s a crazy ask. The base is there to work off of, it can’t to too much effort. I like the PvP I just wish there was more customization with the amulets to enable more builds. 

45 minutes ago, calva.2914 said:

Idk I’m not a game designer but they have current amulets to base decisions for caps off of. I honestly don’t think it’s a crazy ask. The base is there to work off of, it can’t to too much effort. I like the PvP I just wish there was more customization with the amulets to enable more builds. 

The thing is, the ones they gave aren't that crazy

Yeah, I suggested something similar in another post. But for gear in total and for PvE ONLY. Have a certain maximum of stat points and give restrictions to maximum value and minimum value. The total value of distributable points would depend on the number of different stats the armor uses.

PvP should stay competitive in a way that "bunker" builds should not be supported too heavily. Therefore the stat combinations would need a lot of restriction (conditional clauses; if-then: If I take 900 toughness, then healing power can't be used on the amulet, for example).

Would be a hell for new players to figure out, but with existing combinations to orient from or to simply choose from then, manageable. But that is not considering all the preexisting limitations the balancing team has to think about: How much of stat X is too much, which combination is not healthy for a PvP meta etc.

On PvE, open world, I don't really care. Go ham. Still restrictions would be good for orientation and for balancing reasons.

1 hour ago, Lonecap.4105 said:

Amulets definitely not. Customisable runes, however.. I think that would be fine.

I really like that idea. Give us like 400 points for free distribution without restrictions. And if you want a bonus (like 25% movement speed, stun duration, etc.), you loose 125 points.

Still the same thing for me. Reduce the MMR range, more equally matched DPS means more reason to play full support, more decent support encourages more to play group fighters, rather than spaming +1 roam specs.

Edited by Flowki.7194
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, calva.2914 said:

I like the PvP I just wish there was more customization with the amulets to enable more builds. 

There are some builds that just shouldn't be enabled in PvP and "just balance them" wouldn't really be the answer. 

I don’t think changing the stats of an amulet really adds diversity to builds. I suppose if you really wanted to implement something to that extent you could just make PvP have selectable stats for all gear similar to WvW but without the grind. Though I don’t know that it would be as easy to balance for small map conquest style matches.

The bigger issue is that most trait lines and skills are absolute garbage. There are a lot of skills and traits to choose from to give you the illusion that you have options but in reality they simply aren’t viable. 

Take Rev, corruption trait line for instance - replenishing despair: when using an upkeep skill apply torment to yourself every second. Keeping you in combat while slowly killing yourself (~750 damage / sec). Just to get a 1 tic reduction in the upkeep cost.

Absolutely worthless trait that no one should consider taking. Utilities and traits like this exist across all classes. They only function to give you the illusion of choice and diversity. You want build diversity then these awful traits and utilities should be the target to be reworked and then the player base would have the ability to create new builds rather than be forced to choose the one (maybe two if youre lucky) viable options

• Like 1