I'm loosing interest without expansions

Nothing is eternal. For single player games you'll spend 10, 20, 30, 60 or 80 dollars, and you'll get some dozen of hundred of hours. And that's perfectly fine. For an MMORPG, for guild wars, you can spend some dozen of dollars for expansions, and you'll surely get lots of hundreds of hours, even thousands if you're sick enough, because it has 10 years worth of content. That it can die if GW3 goes out? Sure. That it can die even if it doesn't? Sure. Like any other game in this world. Just enjoy the experience while it lasts. MMORPG experience will last a lot longer than any single player, and will give you the sense of "making an ever lasting progression in a constantly changing world", as it longs.

If we are afraid of not doing things because nothing is eternal just jump off, why being alive if we're going to die?

Edited by DarkK.7368
  • Like 2

You are complaining that you paid the price for a product when it first came out, but now the price has gone down and you feel scammed. Have you looked at your computer lately? Every single component in it has probably depreciated tremendously since you first bought it. Did they scam you? This is just how things go, stuff gets old, price goes down, new things are released that now ask for the same price that the old thing used to be worth. I understand that your complain is they should give free players an expansion, or something as compensation, and on this I don't actually disagree, although not for the same reason. The game has changed so much that not having any expansion feels pretty bad, no mounts, no elite specs, basically no end game content other than fractals. I think they should give HoT for free... Or PoF although that would mean people would just miss a huge chunk of the story in both cases but more so in PoF. 

The reality is that they haven't, and honestly doesn't seem like they will, just because xpacs and living world is one of the ways they can actually make money for the game, other than cosmetics obviously. Also you have been playing the core game for a decade... They left the core game behind a long time ago. Its impressive they've managed to keep you here this long without purchasing a thing else. I think you've got your $60 worth for sure. So if you aren't happy with the f2p model and are not willing to SUPPORT the game you have been playing for 10 YEARS any further than those first $60. Just go elsewhere. Hope the grass is greener over wherever you end up.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 9/16/2024 at 6:53 PM, decryptedchaos.8129 said:

So i don't know,  once i get to 70-80 i'm just bored, there is almost nobody in this game that is new,  everyone has maxed everything there are so many things i can't do,  i can't do the elite spec thing or whatever it's called  no expansion,  its hard to farm enough gold to do anything with a core account because,  i can't do dungeons without a group,  and i can't get good gear without either have the gold or running raid/dungeons/fractals  which i just don't feel like i'm equip for. 

Like i say, the game just isn't all that well-thought-out for those who  have no expansions,  and again I PAID MORE than any of them. 

This is honestly some of the most unhinged stuff i have ever read. Even the math doesn't add up. You know that ascended gear is part of the core game right? Like yeah its harder to get but people got it in the core game back in the day... You have been there for 10 years? You know there are many legendaries in the core game right? You can get exotic gear for like no gold from the market. You can't do raids cause raids came with HoT. And you can't do fractals because you've been sitting around waiting for anet to bless you with some free path to easy ascended gear instaed of just just making some. You could have been running fractals every day for the last 8 years and made tens of thousands of gold. 

The game is not well-thought-out-for those who are f2p?.... YEAH YOU HAVE LITERALLY A QUARTER OF THE GAME. 

Also no you didn't pay more. I payed for core, and payed for HoT, and PoF and EoD and SoTo and JW. Soke of those collectors editions. And i have spent a bunch on cosmetics and account upgrades. kitten anet has stolen my money, i really should sue them i guess? 

You can buy all of the expansions and livingworld for like... $100? HoT, PoF and EoD are bundled for 49.99 and SoTo and JW are 25 each. We all payed full price for all of those and have been enjoying the game. Heart of thorns was originally 49.99 alone, PoF and EoD were 29.99. you are getting multiple xpansions for free in the bundle. Stop complaining.

Truly insane.

Edited by wgpa.5047
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, wgpa.5047 said:

Snip

. Also you have been playing the core game for a decade... They left the core game behind a long time ago. Its impressive they've managed to keep you here this long without purchasing a thing else. I think you've got your $60 worth for sure. So if you aren't happy with the f2p model and are not willing to SUPPORT the game you have been playing for 10 YEARS any further than those first $60. Just go elsewhere. Hope the grass is greener over wherever you end up.

They did not play for a decade its the second line of the OP.

If I stoped playing a game for a very long time what is that 6-9 years? I would not complain that the game is still running when I decided to return.

On 9/17/2024 at 1:53 AM, decryptedchaos.8129 said:

The fact is, i've been enjoying GW2 after a very long break 

• Like 2

Reading through.. I was waiting for the "I paid X this long ago, now others can get it for free, hurr durr" and I actually wasn't disappointed.

A really good solution is you know, buy the expansions. You'd be getting them cheaper than a lot of people who who bought them despite GW2 already being free, HoT was 50€ on release, PoF and EoD were like 30€ each, that's.. 110€. You can pick those up for 50€ in a bundle... 

Look around before you whine about something dumb.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 9/17/2024 at 12:53 AM, decryptedchaos.8129 said:

This may have done better in the GW 2 discussion category  but eh it won't let me move it so oh well

Right, i'm sure the fanboys are going to awaken from their slumber to tell me why i'm wrong..    The fact is, i've been enjoying GW2 after a very long break  I've leveled 2 1/2 character and i'm at a point where i don't enjoy what's left to do i can't run around with the trains or fly from point to point and quickly farm because i don't have mounts/dragons.

What it comes down to,  Is i've had a GW account for a very long time,  probably 10 years i was pretty close to a launch day account..  that means i have a Core account.  and i paid $59 for the game when it was still pay to play.   This affords me a couple benefits over a f2p account but not enough to justify what i paid really. I get 4 bag slots per character and 5 character slots and the use of map chat i think that's mostly all get over the f2p account..  

But where it really starts getting skewed is i paid $59 for the game, that everyone more or less gets free now, but on top of that they can get all the benefits I have by buying the expansion combo for $29 but on top of that they get the core features and the new content for half of what I paid..  I don't really care about fanboy theory's about how i paid that 9-10 years ago, and that's just how it is.  The problem is,  that would apply if the game was still pay to play  but since it went F2P  I got screwed..  there is no other way to look at it.. 

Now, i could maybe justify buying the combo, even though i'm very put off the fact that i've already paid twice what most other people have paid,  But lets just say i did,  i'm concerned with the life left in the game,  not a content issue,  but a ANET funding issue, i'm not convinced they will leave the servers online long enough for me to justify buying the expansions, as much as everyone's go to remark is going to be  well GW1 servers are still online  well if you look into the technical aspect of it GW1 servers are nothing from a cost perspective compared to GW2 servers..  So i'm very much on the fence if i want to purchase any expansions because i'm already a bit annoyed with ANET and i don't know how much i can trust them to do the right thing.  Because remember whe have rumors of GW3 in the works

And no, before anyone tries to say  "you can't expect them to support it forever"  well,  I kinda can,  they sold a product not a service for $59, and I've told them this in a ticket which they just disregarded with a canned response..    if they no longer want to financially support the servers at some point, then the only ethical option in my view is to release the servers to the public and let the community keep the game alive.   it's not that difficult, we've seen it done years ago when private WoW servers were popular.

I've even had numerous ideas on how to accomplish it being an IT Engineer and amateur game dev.  I would push a final update so that you could configure a master server for the client,  that master server would be run by a community with a number of servers in the same way it currently works in effect, even if it works differently in their internal design, it wouldn't be that hard to shift to remote instances that have some way of intercommunication between each of them.  in the grand scheme of things, that isn't that much code to make work, especially for a large team.

So i don't know,  once i get to 70-80 i'm just bored, there is almost nobody in this game that is new,  everyone has maxed everything there are so many things i can't do,  i can't do the elite spec thing or whatever it's called  no expansion,  its hard to farm enough gold to do anything with a core account because,  i can't do dungeons without a group,  and i can't get good gear without either have the gold or running raid/dungeons/fractals  which i just don't feel like i'm equip for. 

Like i say, the game just isn't all that well-thought-out for those who  have no expansions,  and again I PAID MORE than any of them. 

What is it you're wanting? 

Stuff for free? 

Have a rant? 

Insult anyone who didn't agree with you? 

All of the above? 

As for your bit about releasing the servers to the public, not a chance. Not only could it be a competitor to another of their products but it would mean releasing all their code for free, surely as an amateur game dev you can see issues with that?

• Like 5

Sorry, but your complaint isn't reasonable. Just because others paid less than you for the same conent ....in my case 12 years later. Why should I have had to pay the same price you did for outdated content? You paid more, but enjoyed that fresh content much longer. Personally I want to congratulate you for playing the old content so long though.

• Like 1

On 9/16/2024 at 7:53 PM, decryptedchaos.8129 said:

I don't really care about fanboy theory's about how i paid that 9-10 years ago, and that's just how it is. 

It's no "fanboy theory," it's a basic economic concept:

...a sunk cost is a sum paid in the past that is no longer relevant to decisions about the future...only prospective (future) costs are relevant to a rational decision. At any moment in time, the best thing to do depends only on current alternatives. The only things that matter are the future consequences. Past mistakes are irrelevant. Any costs incurred prior to making the decision have already been incurred no matter what decision is made.

You chose to spend that money at the time, when none of the current content existed, and then you chose to take "a very long break." You got what you paid for when you paid for it and anything that came afterward did not exist at the time, thus being irrelevant to your original purchase decision.

Sour-grapes muttering that you haven't simply been gifted free access to newer content solely because years ago you paid full price is ridiculous. "Others got more than I did for less money" isn't a compelling complaint when the time between the compared transactions is a matter of several years.

You purchased the product as it existed at that time. Complaining that the original product offering having been changed over the years (without also giving those updates to you for free) amounts to "a slap in the face" is overwrought melodrama at best, obvious and bad trolling at worst.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

On 9/17/2024 at 1:45 AM, decryptedchaos.8129 said:

Since yours is the only reasonable response, i'll give you a more detailed response. 

The fact is,  like i said,  i paid more for it,  i don't really care if anyone agrees nobody is going to change my mind, the difference in any other game or situation is i bought the game where a lot of people didn't have to..  i will never be convinced that core accounts shouldn't have gotten the first expansion free as a legacy account appreciation when they converted to f2p  anything less is a slap in the face to the people that paid for the core game.. period.  and like i said,  it makes the core account kinda stupid  because now i have to justify another $30  to get mounts and flying which will be 3x what f2p accounts paid for it..   

your post boils down to i want stuff the way i want it just when i want it and at just the price i want to pay.

The reality is only you can decide what is value for money for you, so make a choice and move on.

• Like 1

While it may be frustrating it just make sense.

Reason why it seems that those 60 bucks is not worth it is because you did not play the game when it was new. But on the other side, you did not lose ANY of the content that was given to you for those 60 bucks, you in fact got a lot of added content. Every game does that. When you buy a phone for 1k and leave it for 10 years, you will be able to buy better phones for 100 dollars and you can not really blame anyone else for it. Game is NOT an investment, it is just a product that lose its value in time.

Even single player games make sales so new players have to pay less than players who bought it when it was new but that apply to every product in real life as well. Not sure what is wrong about that.

If you on the other hand had lets say collectors edition of original core game, you could probably sell it for more now cause people can no longer buy it.

• Confused 1

Supporting the game is different from actively developing it. GW1 and D2 are like this(they are in a support mode). Look at WoW for example. Before the Classic versions came out the old content never mattered. The base game of GW2 is being supported but not expanded beyond that. You bought a specific product. Beyond that you are not entitled to anything else.

1 - you paid to use it, not to own it. You don't even own the copy you have. All ANet property.

2 - you paid before, now it's free. Welcome to price obsolescence.

3 - and yes, you cannot expect them to support it forever. If Anet becomes bankrupt after I type this post and turns off all servers - you have no legal justification to sue them, even if you are the highest spending player. Even if technically, you are the sole reason why Anet has funds.

I've even had numerous ideas on how to accomplish it being an IT Engineer and amateur game dev.  I would push a final update so that you could configure a master server for the client,  that master server would be run by a community with a number of servers in the same way it currently works in effect, even if it works differently in their internal design, it wouldn't be that hard to shift to remote instances that have some way of intercommunication between each of them.  in the grand scheme of things, that isn't that much code to make work, especially for a large team.

If I am Anet, why would I release the code? What is in it for me? 

Exotic is a good gear. Exotic is enough.

Don't tell me you cannot buy an Exotic set.

What I understood from you here is "I am bored because I want a Legendary (or Ascended but makes no sense to stop there), but it's too hard to get. I don't want to find people who want to help me, help should come smoothly."

-This is coming from someone who logs in like 2-3 times a week. Who also quit and came back after 7 years. Am I a fanboy? 

Edited by knives.6345
  • Like 3