Legendary weapons improvement request

I'm gonna try to keep this short. I think the legendary armory has been a fantastic addition to the game but legendary weapons are still pretty flawed as of the current state of the game. The reason is when you change out a weapon for another all the stats and sigils get reset which can become quite a chore if you regularly do that.

What I'd like to see are weapon templates for legendaries. What i mean by that is that you can actually store multiple sets of the same weapon with different stat configurations and sigil in your equipment tab while still respecting the rule of one legendary per slot.

I think this would improve legendary weapons a lot and finally take them to a spot where i think it's no longer fair to say that ascended weapons are strictly superior to legendary ones

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

Legendary weapons are already strictly superior to ascended. There's no argument to the contrary

Whilst I'm sort of in agreement with your idea of wanting to at least keep the last chosen stat selection, I fear having more templates is going to over complicate an already messy system. The current template system is a bit unwieldy as it is, I suspect more layers will hurt rather than help unless they scrap it and start again entirely

• Like 3

They are really not. I understand that if you're not swapping your weapons a lot legendary weapons might not be an issue for you but if you do swap your weapons the legendary weapons have suffered a lot from no longer being a physical item. In almost all cases you're better off just carrying around multiple sets of ascended weapons over having a legendary one so there definitely are arguments to the contrary.

I don't agree that what you claim are more layers is an issue either. you already can see your ascended weapons to the side. What's the issue with being able to make your custom legendary one serving the same functionality?

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

• Redsnabba.9172 changed the title to Legendary weapons improvement request

I agree. For armor, runes, etc. (things that don't need to be swapped, just stat changed) the current armory is awesome!
For weapons (that need to be swapped), it isn't so great.

It would be nice if you could "withdraw" legendary weapons to your inventory and they would remain "static" when equipping and unequipping from the inventory like any ascended weapon(although still manually customizable like any legendary). You could right click them in your inventory and say "return to armory" or something like that and it would do what currently happens when unequipping them (upgrades removed and placed in inventory with the weapon disappearing from your inventory). I suppose this feature could also be used for armor, trinkets, sigils, to unify the system, although it probably wouldn't see much use there.

I suppose this gets complicated by the fact you can have one legendary equipped across multiple equipment templates with unique stats, upgrades, cosmetics. I suppose "withdrawing" a legendary on a character would possibly remove that feature. But seems like a fair tradeoff for players that want to swap between more than 2 weapon sets on a single build.

Edited by firedragon.8953

5 hours ago, Randulf.7614 said:

Legendary weapons are already strictly superior to ascended. There's no argument to the contrary

Whilst I'm sort of in agreement with your idea of wanting to at least keep the last chosen stat selection, I fear having more templates is going to over complicate an already messy system. The current template system is a bit unwieldy as it is, I suspect more layers will hurt rather than help unless they scrap it and start again entirely

I know many people who prefer ascended weapons because they are allowed to min max them with different slayer,night, or stat stacking sigils per encounter, specifically in fractals where there is a wide variety of boss type, day night cycles, and trash mob density They would rather lose inventory slots for quick swapping than having to deal with the multi step process of changing sigils on up two 4 weapons, and if you swap weapon types, you now have to assign stats, sigils and infusions on each weapon you swapped in.  I kinda wish now with the proliferation legionaries in the game, there were way to configure them quickly, possibly with a chat code similar to gw1's pvp equipment system.

1 hour ago, firedragon.8953 said:

It would be nice if you could "withdraw" legendary weapons to your inventory and they would remain "static" when equipping and unequipping from the inventory like any ascended weapon(although still manually customizable like any legendary). You could right click them in your inventory and say "return to armory" or something like that and it would do what currently happens when unequipping them (upgrades removed and placed in inventory with the weapon disappearing from your inventory). I suppose this feature could also be used for armor, trinkets, sigils, to unify the system, although it probably wouldn't see much use there.

The "withdraw" idea is just bad and could easily be done with swapped legendaries adopting the stats and upgrades of the previous item.

8 hours ago, Eloc Freidon.5692 said:

I would love it when you swap out a legendary weapon for another, it adopts the sigil and stats of the previous.

That's not great though. I think in most cases the same stats would work out but as has been pointed out different sigils are often desired hence making a custom setup for a legendary would be very beneficial.

I people are overthinking this. Just use this already existing system but instead of these being ascended weapons let make templates with stats that you can attach sigils to as long as you possess the associated legendary weapons.
Is this menu the most convenient possible? Probably not but it works and that'd be way better than having to select both sigils and stats in the spur of a moment.
image.png.f14967f579db05a9d1794246efbe0f8c.png

2 hours ago, Hotride.2187 said:

Or you just set up some ascended weapons and swap from your inventory. Its the one use ascended weapons have over legendary weapons and thats fine with me. Keep it that way.

How about the other use of ascended weapons: Not paying 2k gold per weapon. That seems like a pretty significant benefit of ascended weapons to me. Just because ascended weapons work doesn't mean legendaries couldn't benefit from some improvement.

10 hours ago, Redsnabba.9172 said:

What I'd like to see are weapon templates for legendaries. What i mean by that is that you can actually store multiple sets of the same weapon with different stat configurations and sigil in your equipment tab while still respecting the rule of one legendary per slot.

Guild Wars 1 had a system in place where players could have up to 4 weapon sets equipped (similar to our current weapon swap system in GW2. This could be a template for how to implement this in GW2: have up to 4 weapon sets per equipment template, but only 2 of them would be active. Think elementalist or engineer, which have almost this exact function in regards to their 2nd weapon set atm (obviously the benefit of stacking sigils would need to be removed from inactive weapon sets).

This would give players at least somewhat of an ability to "save" certain setups.

This idea is obviously not scale-able but could be monetized (and yes, I am thinking in terms of how to encourage the developers to implement something like this).

27 minutes ago, Redsnabba.9172 said:

How about the other use of ascended weapons: Not paying 2k gold per weapon. That seems like a pretty significant benefit of ascended weapons to me. Just because ascended weapons work doesn't mean legendaries couldn't benefit from some improvement.

2k gold is a big nothing if you play the game for a long period of time.

Yeah but you're pretty out of touch. If you're a new player 2k gold is not a big nothing. Also there are currently 17 weapons that are frequently used and the 2 underwater ones that arguably aren't as useful. 34k gold is a lot of gold even for more seasoned players. Especially when you can probably gear up all your characters in full ascended with just one legendary.

You clearly don't see gold as any hurdle but trust me for most people it is. Ascended weapons are useful and always will be because the gold difference is just massive.