Path of Fire Material Storage

Gaile Gray.6029

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The game already floods players with things that they need to keep in their inventory or bank storage. Keys, converters, food, banners, soulbound items that new players will carry around for dozens of hours, hoping to profit from them somehow, salvage kits, infinite gathering tools, toys, costume brawl weapons...

Your inventory gets clogged up with trash sigils and bags from meta events.

This is a bad design decision, in direct conflict with previous attempts to make GW2 player friendly with QoL things.

For newer or returning players who may buy into the expansion, this design will drive them away.

My friend, who I managed to convince to give the game another go (the only one out of 5 who previously tried it and left it for good), is already struggling with the 3 20-slot bags I had to gift him because as a returning player he didn't have the resources to just spend 30 gold on the trading post. Without inventory slot expansion, this will be an utter nightmare, and he's already expressing frustration at this.

With bag slots being a per character purchase, with item purchases being already inventory punishments, with the exorbitant prices on shared inventory slots... this is a bad decision.

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:We know how important inventory space is to players, and we take seriously how much of your time is spent playing versus managing your play. Hopefully, this decision will help ensure a steady supply of materials to the market, without unduly burdening your bags.

That make no sens to me. Why sypply of materials to the market is more important than my comfort of collecting materials.

I am not really sure whether I agree with this measure or not. As some people pointed out in this thread, the initial stockpiling is partially due to people wanting to collect the materials for their own purpose. But it might also be true that the absolute majority of the playerbase just mindlessly stockpiles all the stuff. I'm guilty of that myself. I have been playing the game since before it was released, but always with large breaks and never "seriously". Over all this time, I got only 30 gold in my wallet. So I was very surprised that gw2efficiency has estimated my bank at multiple hundred gold, due to all the stuff I have stockpiled there.

But while this measure might do some good, it strikes me as a weird bandaid for fixing some more glaring issues with the game design. Right now, band storage is the default, quick option, while listing many items on TP is a bother. Why not switch it around? Make it "easy" for stuff to get onto the marketplace and require an effort on the player's side for stockpiling. Furthermore, integrate crafting with the TP, so that one can buy materials off the market as needed. At the same time, maybe even make the prices adjust automatically, based on supply and demand.

It is just sad. You just looked at it from design stand point of view, not a gameplay/player one. You take flax as example but flax problem was not people hoarding it but ridiculous demand. Not only linseed oil flask needs 20 flax but nearly every new recipe needed it from scribe to even new stat combinations in weaponsmith. Adding to this that flax is foraged item which means that it is harder to collect much of it spawned a problem. The answers you show as here is lacking, not to say very bad. What you are doing right now will have a few effects. Some people will sell, mostly those who play casually and don't read any forums/reddit but rest people will be on some degree of annoyance. I don't know if i speak for rest of people but I do hoard mats because of your ridiculous tax ( tax is okay but it is too high) which means that if I ever need mats i sold I will lose 2 times on high tax, if I don't need money immediately why sell. People who can hoard will hoard anyway. What you also do here seems like people should not trust you as when you buy convenience thing on gemshop ( collection expander) it can be invalidated by anet on whim for reasons and you have to buy other thing ( bank slots, bag slots) to regain your lost convenience.

Got to really disagree with this decision. I want things going into my material storage for later - don't want them clogging up my bags. Its already bag-wars.My intention is to save my materials for later, ensure I have enough as often its used for other items later or as recipies change.

Really bad idea - been driving me crazy for mats that I have to manually still put into bank. Think of you fractal matrix !

I'm not sure I understand the reasoning here, flax was getting hoarded because it was needed in a bunch of recipes, including nightwing.. the cost was driven up by the demand not the fact that people were hoarding. Players were hoarding because they wanted to use it.

If the new materials have the same demand usage, it will not affect what players do with it, its just barring access to the storage tool that many of us have paid to have extended to manage bulk materials.... very illogical thing to do.

"Hey guys, we see an increase in Turkey sales around xmas, so to combat this we're going to take away your freezers."

@"Gaile Gray.6029" said:With the arrival of Path of Fire, many new materials and components will be added to Material Storage. But for a handful of items, we've specifically decided not to start with them in Material Storage, and instead to add them to the storage system later. Why? Well, at the launch of Heart of Thorns, we noticed a peculiar behavior: most players will deposit first when clearing their inventory, and then proceed to take actions like salvaging, opening chests, or, crucially, putting items on the Trading Post. This tended to mean that before a player will post an item on the Trading Post, they'll wait to accrue a full stack in their Material Storage. During the early period of Heart of Thorns, this significantly contributed to the early expense of flax, which was abundantly available but, for the most part, was "warehoused" in the banks of players.

In an experiment to see if we can combat the early steep price of a handful of materials, we will launch Path of Fire without those items being depositable. Once we are comfortable with the supply and price—which we believe should become apparent in weeks, not months—we will add them to material storage.

We know how important inventory space is to players, and we take seriously how much of your time is spent playing versus managing your play. Hopefully, this decision will help ensure a steady supply of materials to the market, without unduly burdening your bags.

so let me understand this, and for the most part i do...but why are you trying to have a input in the market when we were told that no more monitoring or dev hands would be put into trading post...now you go back on the word? it was supposed to stay strictly player based.

Unusual to see such concern for hoarding materials! Wish the efforts to address this instead could have been directed towards the Mystic Coin situation - I SERIOUSLY hope we'll be able to aquire them in more ways in PoF. Adding more and more items each needing a full stack of coins in addition to clovers without compesating for supply has lead to an absolutely ridiculous price increase in the last months - and I fully expect the prices to double again if nothing changes with the expansion.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:Did you guys forget the fact that you had to add additional sources for flax?

The point is that they might not have needed to if people hadn't been accidentally hoarding flax in the first place.

This initiative isn't directed at those of us who deliberately hang on to stuff; it's aimed at the vast majority who follow an "out of sight, out of mind" philosophy with loot.

I didn't accidentally hoarding flax, I was hoarding it as it was needed for a lot of guild hall upgrades. I don't like initiatives that makes the game more tedious, I see it as lazy on the part of the developers. I want QoL improvements with an expansion, not these kind of stupid ideas.

At least I know what I have to do tonight: Making room in my bank for some materials. Not something I am looking forward to but even more necessary now. Maybe I can free up a whole bank tab, that way something good will come from this :)

@killermanjaro.5670 said:If these will stay in our inventory for a while as not depositable then I'll most likely just let them build up to a stack each time before selling anyway, rather than listing 5-10 each time in the knowledge that I'm just going to have to do it again shortly after.

When I was farming iron/flax/plat/whatever on 49 characters this is exactly what I did, but just by depositing it into my bank instead, then selling once I'd finished farming.

I'm a bit conflicted with this idea, but leaning towards the "I dislike this" side of things. I mean, I do have 49 characters, maxed bank tabs and maxed 2,000 mat storage, so I have plenty of space, but at the same time not everyone has crazy amounts of characters, and I can see how this would force players to buy more storage. I'm wondering if this is more a strategic move to make players spend cash rather than combat the high starting value of these items.

@"Gaile Gray.6029" said:With the arrival of Path of Fire, many new materials and components will be added to Material Storage. But for a handful of items, we've specifically decided not to start with them in Material Storage, and instead to add them to the storage system later. Why? Well, at the launch of Heart of Thorns, we noticed a peculiar behavior: most players will deposit first when clearing their inventory, and then proceed to take actions like salvaging, opening chests, or, crucially, putting items on the Trading Post. This tended to mean that before a player will post an item on the Trading Post, they'll wait to accrue a full stack in their Material Storage. During the early period of Heart of Thorns, this significantly contributed to the early expense of flax, which was abundantly available but, for the most part, was "warehoused" in the banks of players.

In an experiment to see if we can combat the early steep price of a handful of materials, we will launch Path of Fire without those items being depositable. Once we are comfortable with the supply and price—which we believe should become apparent in weeks, not months—we will add them to material storage.

We know how important inventory space is to players, and we take seriously how much of your time is spent playing versus managing your play. Hopefully, this decision will help ensure a steady supply of materials to the market, without unduly burdening your bags.

Why not make a temporary material bag for the handful of items then? Would solve the issue you're seeing because players would have access to it at all times, and it wouldn't compromise QoL for players and their inventory management.

Archived