New to game. Question

Saycheese.1609

When you say realm it depends on whether you mean server (such as Yaks Bend, Jade Quarry, etc) or if you mean NA vs EU servers.

If it's NA vs EU you will not be able to play the game together for the NA and EU servers are separate. You can still chat and be in the same guild but you cannot "play" together.

If you are referring to being on separate servers, you can do most aspects of the game together. The only area that would be separate is World vs World. If you are on two servers that get matched up, you could fight against your buddy but unless you are on the same server you cannot "play" with your buddy. The rest of the game, PvE and PvP you could play together.

@Saycheese.1609 said:Thank you for answering kind of kitten about the WvW part though kind of what drew is to the game

also too you both need to be on the same servers for wvw and hope it is not a full server . as if one is on a full server and the other one is not that makes another problem . but otherwise for all other game types in this game . with the mega servers it does not matter about the server so much . but if your looking for WVW then it will really matter a lot . more so if you got to change servers for being not on the same server or the server was full you both wanted to join

I see you're a bit miffed that WvW works that way. But it's sort of a core design thing, World vs World means exactly that (just swap "world" for "server" to see). It's likely not an easy thing to revamp it to the point that people can sign up for any team they like while still maintaining population balance and avoiding spies and such. Your server is your team; choosing it determines who you can team up with in the Mists.

Note that WvW was created well before we got the mega server. At game start you had to be on the same server, or "guest" temporarily over to another, if you wanted to play with a friend. /ponders ... I don't recall for sure at this late date but I have a vague memory that there wasn't even a "join in" map swap at the very start. Maybe that was a beta thing that they fixed for launch. But certainly there was a period of time in which we simply couldn't meet up even with friends in a group with us unless we got lucky enough to hit the same map instance.

I think that if a server is "full" or not may depend on how many people they currently have in WvW? Keep checking it at different times of day and on different days. You might be able to catch it non-full.

It will cost you in gems to transfer, though. Unless you have no characters, but I'm not sure you'll want to delete and start over.

(Someone correct me if I'm remembering incorrectly, please.)

Archived