Racial Trait Specialization?!

Shoyoko.7309

Bad idea? Good idea?

I mean.... we have like... 6 racial skills, so you know.... I was just imagining the endless possibilities of maybe what it be like to have a trait line related to each race. =D

and If we could have............what would you imagine the racial trait specialization be like for your race (or others) to be like?

=p

It's highly unlikely to happen, and I think the game is better off without it.

When GW2 was released they said they wanted your race to be almost entirely cosmetic so that players were free to choose whichever race they wanted without feeling like they were putting themselves at a disadvantage. If they were to go back on that and add more skills or traits related to your race a lot of people would feel like they needed to change all their characters to get the best possible race/profession combinations.

Since it's apparently not possible to add race change to the game because it could break your character that leaves a lot of people having to either delete and remake their characters every time there's a major balance update or feeling like they can't enjoy them because they consider their build to be sub-optimal.

Of course a lot of other people won't care, but then I think they're equally unlikely to care about racial traits - it'd be another options, but you could easily add more options in a way that doesn't anger the first group.

I think there could have been a lot more done with the racial skills in general. I don't really see why the skills should be wasted. A single cool skill per race might have been interesting and made in a way that could be learned/shared with all of the others. I'm thinking back to the system that was in place in GW1 where you could spend time with the races or organizations and learn their skills. GW2 has a similar thing going on with masteries where you are supposed to have learned from the Itzel, Nuhoch and Exalted to use special abilities, items and vendors. Not that I think that was implemented perfectly (I was hoping for something a little more in-depth and lore-based than farming for xp and clicking a button) but... I also don't have an issue with them keeping the races as a cosmetic choice, really. I'd much rather the continued development on more elite specs. That's enough balancing as it is, I would imagine haha.

This has been hashed and rehashed since launch. Both sides have some good arguments, although I suspect that at this point the possession is 9/10ths of the law principle will come into play along the lines of status quo is 9/10ths of likelihood. Pie in the sky kind of wishful thinking, I think they ought to make this a core tyria mastery similar to what they are doing with mounts in PoF that allows intensification of existing skills (buffing them from current level of worthlessness to functional usability), and sharing with other races, much like the mount abilities will be shared out. But as someone already pointed out, with the design of Revenant Anet has pretty much precluded anything of the sort with racial skills at all.

A different sort of possibility that I came up with a while back is to give races a unique bonus in their home regions, perhaps a 10% racial bonus to movement speed and an extra strike on resource gathering in those corresponding zones. That way races have some significance but nothing game breaking, and they would be equally distributed across the races.

Archived