Update about API Communications

Gaile Gray.6029

@MikeLewis.7496 said:One loosely related thing I would love some community feedback on - how do you all feel about GitHub and specifically how we've been using it up until now? Is there anything that you would like to see changed in terms of how we collect API requests and track the associated development work?

The api-cdi issue/pull requests are perfectly fine as-is>

@Wanze.8410 said:@MikeLewis.7496 and @"YlanSalsbury.4972 I crossposted this thread on reddit, so you might find some additional feedback there.

This thread's already been posted, but your submission is confusing because you linked to the wrong post. Perhaps resubmit it as https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/376691/#Comment_376691 so people know what you're talking about?

@"MikeLewis.7496" said:I wanted to check in as well and give you all a bit of insight into what's going on with the APIs right now.Thank you.

Our first priority is triage; as Ylan mentioned, the two of us will directly be watching GitHub and this forum for reports and feedback on what's most important to you.Sounds good.

Once we have established some general ordering for what will be tackled, we're working on finding multiple folks from the GW2 engineering team who can contribute to keeping the APIs up to date and solid. As several people have identified already, having the entire API project tasked to one person is suboptimal in a lot of ways. So we want to address that specifically going forward.That's really good news. Thanks for letting us know and for confirming that the Powers That Be consider it important, too.

I'm sure you all can appreciate how huge a game like GW2 is and how much effort goes into keeping it living and fresh; so hopefully it isn't a surprise when I say that we have a lot going on and a lot of competing demands on the team's time and attention.Indeed.

While the APIs are something we are very much interested in maintaining and supporting for the future, we do appreciate your understanding that sometimes other things are higher priorities, and so we are trying very hard not to promise things right now. That said, as things do solidify and become clearer, we will definitely be keeping the community up to date.That sounds fine.... Still, keep in mind that you guys were too good. You made a solid API that some clever fans have turned into amazing tools... and now so many of us non-coders depend on them. It's no longer just an "interesting" side project of the game; it's a robust feature that folks expect to be working all the time.

how do you all feel about GitHub and specifically how we've been using it up until now?I think GitHub is a good resource. As a non-coder, I can track issues (and even raise them). It seems also like an appropriate tool for the official coders (you guys) and the unofficial ones (the fan developers) to communicate about details.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

@"MikeLewis.7496" said:For clarity, we are prioritizing fixes over additions for now. The trading post refresh issue is on our list and I'll be glad to post more information once we have it.

It's been over 2 months since any communication on this issue... Any updates?

The ticket for this in the API Kanban board is still way down in the priority list on the backlog and not started. :-(https://waffle.io/arenanet/api-cdi

Archived