New profession, what to choose?

DiMasta.9725

Hey everyone! I've been playing GW2 for a couple months, fell in love with it and bought both expacs. When i got into the game i picked a necro (scourge) just because of the theme, and it looked cool. It ended up being awesome, very powerful and meta, great stuff.Now i'm interested in learning a new profession, just to learn new mechanics and skills, cause necro was starting to feel like it was always the same sometimes (and Feb 6 patch, rip x) ).I liked the semi-ranged, semi-melee aspect of necro, being capable of both things, tanking a little bit and dealing quite some damage too. I prefer dps characters over healing/tanky ones. I was thinking maybe elementalist or ranger (dps) or warrior SB (melee dps/brawler), but dont really know what to pick or where to start. If you guys could help me and give me some insight of what each profession is about and what it feels like playing, I'd be much aprecciated :) Thanks a lot!

@Dashiva.6149 said:What gamemodes are you playing?

I didn't play my ranger very often pre-PoF, but since I converted her into a power Soulbeast it has probably been the toon I played the most this winter (mainly open world and WvW). With near permanent fury and quickness she hits like a truck!

I currently play every game mode, but I'd prefer something that works well in PvE and PvP (mostly PvP, since PvE can be done with pretty much anything). I had thought about ranger, but they always seemed a bit too supporty for me. Is power soulbeast that strong then?

@mercury ranique.2170 said:I actually really enjoy the engineer for do’s (holosmith). It can be played ranged and melee and it deals very great damage.

I thought of holo, seemed fun. But a fear i have with melee classes is being kited to death. Maybe cause that what happens frequently with reaper.Does holo have enough stability/gap closers to prevent that? The holos i play against seem to find their way to get on top of me, but scourge isnt really that hard to close gap anyways.

@DiMasta.9725 said:

@"Dashiva.6149" said:What gamemodes are you playing?

I didn't play my ranger very often pre-PoF, but since I converted her into a power Soulbeast it has probably been the toon I played the most this winter (mainly open world and WvW). With near permanent fury and quickness she hits like a truck!

I currently play every game mode, but I'd prefer something that works well in PvE and PvP (mostly PvP, since PvE can be done with pretty much anything). I had thought about ranger, but they always seemed a bit too supporty for me. Is power soulbeast that strong then?

Since I don't play Raids, Fractals or sPvP i can't really say if it is either meta (probably not) or strong, but I know that for me at least it is fun in worldbosses, bounties and WvW zerg/roaming.

Edit: Example build, I use different gearstats depending on gamemode.

@DiMasta.9725 said:I currently play every game mode, but I'd prefer something that works well in PvE and PvP (mostly PvP, since PvE can be done with pretty much anything). I had thought about ranger, but they always seemed a bit too supporty for me. Is power soulbeast that strong then?

^ When it comes to rangers and sPvP the most common and appreciated builds are shoutbow (druid - staff - LB) and bunker (druid - staff - S/WH) and as you guessed they fill a rather supportive role (shoutbow not being as supportive as bunker, but still supportive enough). Power ranger is nothing I'd personally recommend in rated... At all. They are far too squishy and does not deal enough damage to make up for it - even in Beast Mode (soulbeast). Condi ranger is even worse considering the amount of condi cleanse there is - you will hardly kill anything and most professions will kill you just by looking at you.In unranked however, most people play professions that they're new to and they dont play very seriously so of course you'll be able to enjoy pretty much anything there. Just going to give you a headsup that it wont be much fun in ranked - especially not in higher ratings.

@DiMasta.9725 said:I thought of holo, seemed fun. But a fear i have with melee classes is being kited to death. Maybe cause that what happens frequently with reaper.Does holo have enough stability/gap closers to prevent that? The holos i play against seem to find their way to get on top of me, but scourge isnt really that hard to close gap anyways.Holo and SB warrior got enough gap closers to stay ontop of almost any ranged unit. The only two professions I can think of that they can't catch up to is mesmer and thieves... But then again, nobody can catch a good mesmer or thief.

Archived