@Anet - Forced Capitalization in Names. Can we get rid of it?

Oglaf.1074

I share the op's longing for a lowercase 'the' and being able to use the 'correct' spelling of McNames would be nice too, but as others pointed out it wouldn't really be that great if they abandoned capitalization rules entirely. I wouldn't want both a Bob The Mighty and Bob the Mighty in the game at the same time either. Probably not worth messing with at this point, sadly . . .

Oh, and apostrophes. Can I get an apostrophe pls? Just one . . ?

@Menadena.7482 said:

@"FrizzFreston.5290" said:Seems like a hassle to program. I kind of like the auto-capitalization, as I have the same reaction to usernames without any capitalization.

Before we get: bob the mighty, BOB the MIGHTY or bOb the mIGhty.

Huh? Why would removing it be a hassle? It is REMOVING something that alters the input.

edit: I would remind anet if they do this to make sure they do a case insensitive comparison to existing names or you will have the headache of both 'Bob The Mighty' and 'Bob the Mighty' at the same time in no time flat.

Not the removing, but putting in the exceptions. There're more connectors than just "the".

@Oglaf.1074 said:

@"Echoherb.6528" said:No thanks, a lot of people would make really stupid names with random caps.

People do this already, and the trade-off would be people like myself creating really “good” names that we currently can’t, sooo..

I dont see the "supposedly correct" spelling of the same name as a trade-off against horrible CApsFeStNaMEs

@FrizzFreston.5290 said:Seems like a hassle to program. I kind of like the auto-capitalization, as I have the same reaction to usernames without any capitalization.

They can force lowercase for all words, only letting you to choose if the first letter is uppercase or not.

Not a definitive solution, but definitely an improvement.

@Lonami.2987 said:

@FrizzFreston.5290 said:Seems like a hassle to program. I kind of like the auto-capitalization, as I have the same reaction to usernames without any capitalization.

They can force lowercase for all words, only letting you to choose if the first letter is uppercase or not.

Not a definitive solution, but definitely an improvement.

Yeah, though I wouldn't make the very first letter a choice.I'll be honest that i really didn't think it really through, so maybe it's easier than I thought, to have specific name filters regarding capitalization.

However, I like the way the names are uniform and easily recognizable as names.

Archived